This site needs some improvements!

by free2beme 19 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Point well taken Vanpire. Totally ADD

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This isn't a diss on Simon but JWN is great because of its posters, not because of the site software.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

This is the largest exJW forum on the internet and that says alot for Simon. When Simon started he developed the software himself which is fine but as the forum and technology have advanced it is woefully out of date just look at virtually anyother forum site. Everyone appreciates what Simon has done here and he has decided to upgrade the forum software. He could have gone to any number of low cost or free forum software and had the site transfered easily to the new software. The software is proven and used by millions around the world. Hell I'm on a Russia/English forum based in Russia and they use off the shelf software that is excellent miles ahead of what can be done here.

Simon wants to start fresh with his own developed software but as has mentioned time and time again he has a family and time constraints...understandable but why go that route when I have no doubt there are many sharp IT people on this very forum that could help him (if he asked) to set up and transfer to new off the shelf software in no time and it would be state of the art.

I can not imagine how new ones feel when they come here and their first thought when they see the software, "What on earth is this about"...

Anyway my rant so flame on...

• KW13
    KW13

The site does need a huge overhaul, but it isn't as sim ple as 'just replacing the software' because there is no simple way to transfer member accounts and topics/posts without bugs, and on a site this big it'd take a long time to do it.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

As compared to what starting with whole new home made software???

• KW13
    KW13

Same problem. Chances are, if the site was redone the code would have to change drastically to provide new features, improve stability and so on as well as saving the member database.

There are paid/free solutions out there that are excellent, but if something is well known chances are so are its security flaws.

• moshe
    moshe

Improvements- you mean like an ignore button?-

• Simon
    Simon

I agree - the changes are long overdue but they're coming.

I want to get the new software up more than anyone but I also need to make sure everything works Ok. Just re-importing nearly 4m posts and re-parsing the HTML, full-text-indexing things etc... takes time to run and time to check.

I'm very happy with the new software - the performance should be significantly better and the features are already ahead of this current site and provide a solid foundation for additional improvements.

Just bear with me a little while longer ... it will be worth it, honest!

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and sorry - I've turned the preview site off while I'm working on the next chunk of changes. It should be available again soon, maybe this weekend.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Glad you took it the right way. I do not think suggestions like mine, in any way warrent a response of judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit