JW editorial on how education does you no good...

by PYRAMIDSCHEME 25 Replies latest jw friends

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Like I said there is no logic in saying someone with knowledge is no better than someone without.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Anyone here get their comment approved? Looked back at a few of his older articles and looks like its one big JW circle jerk

http://www.examiner.com/signs-of-the-times-in-phoenix/why-vote

Was going to drop some words there but looks like its pretty much filtered by Bill so no opposing views are allowed! Big surprise!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Coincidentally, I was searching for sundresses and stumbled upon a lead article in the current New York magazine about how college education is presently being dissed the most at any time in American history. I should provide a link. Frankly, I don't know how to do it and I am too revved up to find out right now. The main argument from outside the JWs against college education right now is the escalating costs. Tellingly, they don't support high school education as the end the way Witnesses do. The escalation of costs is driving the middle class out. In solely pragmatic terms, college loans and tuition paid by parents may not be made up by additional education.

I posted on another thread how economic benefit is a small but crucial part of what my education is worth. College exposed me to a rewarding culture and world view, opposed to the Witness view. I'm not talking about doctrine b/c the world could not care less what the Witnesses believe. Maybe b/c my high school was so bad and my college so good but the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Bhagavad Gita, Sartre, Camus, Beckett nourished my soul. I'd rather be poor and know these things. It is not knowledge primarily for me. The critical thinking skills and towards the end, the ability to see across certain fields at one time. It was't very complex but the rudimentary ability was present. The social exposure to people with similar values was also important. I was the odd one in the Witnesses. With my new life, the Witnesses were the joke.

So many times I sat in class and was told that questioning authority and convential wisdom was important. They did not want nice, good girls. In fact, the school recruited heavily from Catholic high schools and Yeshiva to put an end to student unrest with more pliable students who were conformists. The faculty complained b/c no was questioning anything anymore. Asking hard questions was seen as the norm to be valued. I think of it as matter and antimatter.

College costs must have some correlation with middle class incomes. They just keep burgeoning. There should be tax incentives and other governmental action to make certain that the middle class is educated. The people interviewed stressed higher education. College as the only alternative was questioned.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

For every college graduate who is flipping burgers and washing dishes there are 3 or 4 high school graduates who wish they had that job.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

MLM? REALLY?! Wow...

Grewup

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Exactly, Band on the Run! Critical thinking is anathema to JW's. That point was made very clear to me in Anthropology class this week. My teacher said, more than once, "Question what you hear!" That is a no-no for cult followers.

There are tax incentives. It's called the Hope TAx Credit. My accountant was very happy this year when he found out we were attending college. We live in Oregon, but a friend from California said he is tax exempt thanks to attending college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit