Field Service question

by 21stcenturywoman 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• luna2
    luna2

The whole issue of counting time is simply a control mechanism to keep the sheep busy and so involved in minutiae that they didn't have time to reflect on anything really important. It took me a long time to understand that and when I did, I was on my way out.

I never understood how we could drive around gossiping for an entire morning (with a good, long "break" that sometimes would run an hour), knock on only a few doors and talk to maybe two people and call that witnessing. In those days, I was only counting about 1-1/2 to 2 hours for a good 4 hours spent every Saturday. Looking back, I was a fool. I should have started counting time from the moment I got in the car to go to the KH. I just wasn't cynical enough in the beginning, and when I became cynical, well, there wasn't much point to the exercise any more.

I had a couple of close friends who would pioneer regularly. They would start their day by doing a laundromat/gas station bathroom run at like 7:30 a.m. and not stop counting time, regardless of doing personal errands or taking breaks, until they called it quits in the afternoon. It always made me uncomfortable because they weren't witnessing for all that time. I was so naive.

These days, with gas prices what they are, I can't imagine driving a half an hour out to some rural call without knowing if the person would even be home or not or driving aimlessly around town, with people you didn't want to be with, stopping here and there to make it look like you were actually doing something. Just too expensive, especially for those of us dumb enough not to have gotten further education so that we could get a decent job that paid a living wage. It still makes me angry that I was such a sap.

Like anything else in this world, its all about how confident you are. Witnesses like to pretend that they "aren't of this world", but it works the same way. If you stand firm and don't let anybody make you feel bad, proceed as though you are god's gift to the world and never question yourself or your habits, you have a much easier time of it. If you question yourself or show any weakness, you'll have every elder and older sister breathing down your neck trying to "help" (meaning control) you.

• Heaven
    Heaven

In my area, they aren't very active. I work from home at least twice a week and they've knocked on my door twice in over 4 years.

The second time they came was right before the Memorial this year. I wasn't home but my Dad was. It was not the same ladies that knocked the first time.

• godrulz
    godrulz

It sounds like a lot of lip service, not love for God or the lost. Too many of my fellow believers do not systematically share their faith, but the WT sales force does not please God nor is it effective. I wonder how many JWs would actually do this stuff if hours were not recorded and there was no pressure to do so or censure for not doing it? I imagine they would have the same fears, laziness, procrastination, etc. as anyone else.

I have gone door to door as an evangelical and as a salesman. It is not easy, yet not impossible. It is certainly not a sign of having the truth or the best product/price.

• Reality79
    Reality79

Doesn't all this show how pointless FS really is?

I mean come on, in 2011 they're hardly getting any results and most JWs aren't even half as bothered about it as they were 10 years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

GLAD I MISSED THIS ERA..................

• godrulz
    godrulz

Which is the greater motivation for the average JW (asking as a non-JW)? To reach the lost with truth and warn them about the impending Armageddon so that they will be saved OR to fulfill their duty and obligations to earn their personal safety from Armageddon (more concerned about their salvation than the people they are talking to who are rejecting them)? I suspect that the rate of rejection leaves a JW happy to see these evildoers miss the boat while they put in time to earn favor with Jehovah to save their own bacon. If salvation was not dependent on FS, would the average JW put in as many hours (not recorded, no one knew what they did or not)?

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

21st same thing here. Living in one of the larger cities in the country ( at least are pretty sizable suburb of the city ) been here just over a year and haven't seen a single witness anywhere.

Houses,condos,very few apartments. I've never seen them at the local mall,or the shopping center in my subdivision.

• godrulz
    godrulz

They used to stand on street corners during morning business rush hour downtown holding mags in front of them like robots. Has this fallen out of favor?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit