The Infamous May 15th 1984 Watchtower "1914: The Generation That Will Not Pass Away"

by PublishingCult 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ambersun
    ambersun

Considering the fact that not only have the 1914 generation completely passed away, and most of the children of that generation are practically all gone as well now, (which absolutely and categorically proves that particular WTS doctrine was false and misleading), it amazes me how all the old timers amongst the rank and file can be so easily manipulated by the WTS. Go back just 30 years and you would never dare to suggest the WTS might be wrong in their predictions, because their word was spiritual food from Jehovah himself. I was still an active JW then and I can remember the renewed sense of urgency this particular magazine created within the congregation. I just don't get how they can just forget about all that and buy into this ridiculous 'overlapping generation' nonesense!

• Splash
    Splash

@ ScottTerry - When I was growing up as a JW in the 70's, the official word, as I remember it, is that the "generation of 1914" referred to people who were not only alive in 1914 but were also old enough to understand its significance.

That was the case, but as time moved onwards, they kept dropping the qualifying age for That Generation:

Awake! October 8 1968, page 13

“Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the last days began. Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914.”

WT October 15 1980, page 31

“It is the generation of people who saw the catastrophic events that broke forth in connection with World War I from 1914 onward ... If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression... “

WT October 1 1978, page 31

“Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the ‘generation’ logically would not apply to babies born during World War I.”

WT May 15 1984, page 5

“If Jesus used „generation ? in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. ... Some of them will „by no means pass away until all thin gs occur ? .”

Awake! April 8 1988, page 14

“Most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it. ... Jesus ? words will come true, „this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened ? .”

Splash

• Hermano
    Hermano

marked

• Splash
    Splash

Eventually running out of time altogether, and despite saying:

WTOctober 15, 1988page 4 "The Sign — Are You Heeding It?" "Might it be, though, that the sign could occur over the span of many human generations? No.The sign is to occur during one particular generation. The same generation that witnessed the beginning of the sign will also witness its climax"

They did a 180 degree change to the latest version:

WT April 15, 2010, "Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose". para 13 - 14 "How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”?He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation.

So it now doesn't even matter if you didn't see the events of 1914, so long as your life overlaps with someone who did.

This is clearly what Jesus meant when he said

(Mt 24:34, 35) . . .Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.

Splash.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The current teaching regarding the "generation" is a pile of bollocks that pretty much no one, including most elders, understands let alone can explain just using the Bible.

• wasblind
    wasblind

DATES : " Bible chronology also pinpointed in advance the time when certain important events in the fulfillment of God's purpose would take place "________Reasoning book page 93

Watch out Jesus !!!!! the WTS gonna getcha on this one and prove you out to be a lie !!!!!!

"Jehovah's witnesses have pointed to evidence in fulfillment of this sign"______Reasoning book page 136

See !!!!! They pointed everything out !!!!!!!!! kids won't even finish high school, this is it !!!!!

" It is true that the Witnesses have made mistakes in thier understanding of what would occur at the end of certain time periods, but they have not made the mistake of losing faith, or ceasing to be watchful as to fulfillment of Jehovah's purposes"____Reasoning book page 136

Those silly Apostates, thier gonna be destroyed for not havin' faith in our falsehoods

• wasblind
    wasblind

THIS IS IT ELIZABETH !!!!!!!! I'M COMIN' TO JOIN YA' !!!!!!!!!! tHIS IS THE BIG ONE !!!!!!!!!!!

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

OMG thank you for the Sanford and Son picture...I loved that show as a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit