Please do the following equation

by recovering 52 Replies latest social humour

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

My 13 year old g'daughter comes up with 9 - w/o aid of a calculator.

Syl

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@won't leave: it doens't matter if x is 1 or 9. That has no effect on HOW the equation is supposed to be solved. The equation is only incorrect if, and only if, it was asking that everything to the right of the equation was to be in the denominator. Vertically speaking, everything would be on the bottom. But there's no reason to assume that, so the equation is most likely stating 6/2, or 2/1, or 2 as a single term. 6 divided by 2 times 3 is what I solved for, not 6 divided by the QUANTITY of 2 times 3. The eqaution, if written vertically, would still read the same, UNLESS, everything on the right was MEANT to be in the denominator, in which case, all of that QAUNTITY, 2*3, would be in brackets. Left-to-right is the proper way, anyway. I don't think it's written incorrectly, but it's definitely written in a very confusing and screwed-up way that--and I'm beginning to think that's deliberately to confuse people on the internet--we could easily read it wrong.

• talesin
    talesin

lol @ EP

the answer is 9 --

real easy - always do parentheses first ,,, outside actions next,,,, then combine

1+2 = 3

6 / 2 = 3

3x3 = 9

so much for not needing to learn the basics in math ......

t

*if my parent's son (ie, my sibling) is reading this, hope you recognize your hated 'calculator-brain' sister* /

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit