If One More Person Calls Me "Boo" LOL

by PublishingCult 29 Replies latest jw friends

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

One of my dearest friends calls me "boo", and when he calls me that, I almost don't hate it because it has a sweetness to the sound when he says it, BUT I hear it used in TV shows, movies, overused in social sites. I know it's really an old term of affection and it belongs to the culture from which it evolved, and should not be used between acquaintances or ordinary friends, because it sort of implies a type of intimacy that goes a little beyond nominal familiarity between to two people.

Pet names are really annoying in the first place, and I live with "honey" and "sweetheart" when used appropriately, but "boo", hmmm . . .

It just sounds pretentious and meaningless coming out of the mouths of those who use it with everyone they know, and is one of the more obvious attempts at being trendy and reveals the disingenuous poser inside, lol, i dunno. It just irks me.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    I hate to be called baby, honey, or sweetie.

I think it depends on who's calling you that. If the person is an equal, and we have a relationship of some sort (nonprofessional), it's ok. I do that all the time. When addressing an "elder/older" person, it is inappropriate. In a business/professional setting, it's usually inappropriate. I had a patient call me and he started out with "honey," and I immediately bristled and grit my teeth. As the conversation progressed, though, I overlooked it. He was an elderly, very pleasant man with a foriegn sounding accent. It wasn't a condescending "honey."

• Satanus
    Satanus

They need to switch to a new term of endearment, like potatoe.

S

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I have never, ever, heard of this.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Really, boo? Whereabouts do you live?

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

Remember that Sienfield episode when Jerry had a girlfriend that called him Schoompie?.... I am just saying it could be worst. Also that was a funny episode!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Igot2bMe~ Oddly enough, Schmoopie was in a baby names book after that episode aired...I kid you not. If I ever see a kid named Schmoopie I'm gonna smack his/her parents!

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

If I ever see a kid named Schmoopie I'm gonna smack his/her parents!

I'm with you on that Morbidzbaby! To name a child that should be classified as a form of child abuse!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Really, boo? Whereabouts do you live?

Now this here is some funny! Syl

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Get over it, pumpkin buns!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit