I Haven't Much Time.

by compound complex 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

I haven't much time.

Conflict is on the horizon, moving ever closer toward us. Our being a peace-loving people does not mean that we are weak and ineffectual. Yet, by comparison to the powers that are soon to be, we shall constitute their easiest prey. We are no match for their kind. What is this alien force - so fearsome, so implacable - that marches onward in such relentless, asymmetrical rhythm? I shudder that this uncommon and foreign meter shall bring Nemesis unfailingly to us, his quarry. My only palpable emotion at this time is convulsing fear - an unholy terror that engulfs every delectable morsel of many a quivering corpse. Corpses lusted after by a famished Martian megalopolis squatted illegally upon Earth. I do not doubt that the space pods have begun emerging elsewhere throughout our beloved planet, creating in all mankind the same horror that has gripped and shaken us.

That angry red dust enshrouding their military machine has reached us. It parches our throats, infiltrates our lungs. The carrying wind is bitter, it cuts deeply to the core. The descent and ascent of their chromatic war chant fills me with apprehension as I contemplate the formidable and merciless aspect of these damnable creatures, they who advance slowly but deliberately toward the termination of our race. I hear the brassy salvos of their ordnance. It is the protracted cacophony of mechanized warfare. Not a few of us chafed over the directives issued by our locally appointed commissioners. In the peaceful course of our long history as a republic, there were measures of redress. After all, we voted these men into office; we could vote them out. Today there is no comparable recourse in dealing with the Martians. They are incapable of showing mercy toward our weak, human ilk. By no stretch of the imagination could one attribute to these coarse and loathsome creatures any delicate sentiment characteristic of our gentler race. These Martians are scorpions - they are malefactors to the utmost degree.

Now extinguished friends had earlier tossed off the initial radio contact from the Martians as a higher power's benign interest in an inferior intelligence. Such fatuous naivete has cost us dearly.

If anyone out there is receiving this transmission, I beg you to guard your life and to safeguard your family. If possible, keep your humanity. Does the god of our forefathers still exist? If so, does he simply look on with detached indifference at the annihilation of his creation?

Now would be the time to intervene, before it is....

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Too many Orson Wells novels this month?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Oh no, Jeff ... not enough!

Actually, the inspiration was Gustav Holst. This is one of the most frightening pieces of music ever written.

Thanks for shuttling in.

CoCo Aries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Hey, look what I can do!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Amirable PC . . . but no match I fear . . . for the lethal death ray

Nice piece of music CoC . . . I enjoyed it with my cup of tea.

Re-reading the soliloquy as the music played . . . I could hear Richard Burtons voice.

So . . . definitely no "brave new world" then? . . . I am XJW after all

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, PC and Sizemik, for your visuals and text.

I'm becoming ambivalent, Sizemik, on some issues. My upbringing is part literary and cinematic fantasy, which competes heavily with 50-some years of Biblical fact/fable that continues to influence me.

Where do logic and sound reasoning enter into my life? The Martian death ray might be the answer (by eliminating me and my endless ponderings).

Many thanks, Guys!

CoCo

• sizemik
    sizemik

I share your ambivalence CoCo . . . strangely for me it has become a place of rest.

Endless ponderings are the fare of the thinking man where logic and sound reasoning finds it's true home . . . absolutes are food for fools

• compound complex
    compound complex

Excellent, Sizemik!

You've given me something useful to think about.

Great that you've found respite for your soul.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Dear CoCo: You are amazingly conversant in very disparate genres. Quite a talent.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear Bizzy! !

I grew up in the most amazing era of SF cinema: the 1950s. Of course, that's my humble but arguably correct opinion.

With gratitude for your ongoing encouragement.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit