If this doesn't scream cult, what does?

by LostGeneration 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

From the now infamous 7.15.2011 WT. Page 28, para 16 and 17-

We can enter into Jehovah’s rest —or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through his organization. (Italics theirs-not mine)

On the other hand, if we minimized the Bible-based counsel that we receive through the faithful and discreet slave class, choosing to follow an independent course, we would be placing ourselves at odds with God’s unfolding purpose. This could endanger our peaceful relationship with Jehovah.

• jeckle
    jeckle

I bet if a witness saw this in a different organizations literature they would notice, but let it come from wbts and they turn to zombies. Like a sort of hypnotic phrase.

• therevealer
    therevealer

first they qoute (Ephesians 2:8-9) 8 By this undeserved kindness, indeed, YOU have been saved through faith; and this not owing to YOU, it is God's gift. 9 No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting.

then they go beyond what it says.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Statements like these only make me that much more determined to put an ever-widening distance between me and the WTS.

Quendi

• therevealer
    therevealer

Notice that in Ephesians it says no man should have grounds for boasting but then they say that although the scripture says it is a free gift and no works are involved suddenly it becomes listen to the organization which we know turns into the faithful and discreet slave which in turn becomes the gb. Oops! There goes the not boasting out the window.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

That THEY are his organization is assumed. They don't even try to prove it anymore. Why? Because it is totally without merit or supporting evidence. You know what happens to people who assume?

• therevealer
    therevealer

Yes indeedy. After the scripture in ephesians not another attempt even to prove anything from there till the end of the article.

We can enter into Jehovah's rest -or join him in his rest-by obedientlyworking in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is

revealed to us through his organization. Forget about how it is revealed through the bible.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

If we were to take the first quote the OP gave and replaced organization with "prophet Joseph Smith" and told a JW it was a quote out of mormon literature and asked them if it sounded like a cult, I wonder what their response would be. Id like to try it some time.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Change "his organization" to any group and the JWs will be all over it as cultish. Of course, change "Jehovah" to whatever god that org has.

We can enter into Allah’s rest —or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through Al-Qaeda and the true Caliph.

We can enter into God’s rest —or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through the College of Cardinals and the Pope.

We can enter into God’s rest —or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through his prophet Joseph Smith.

We can enter into God’s rest —or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through Scientology.

• NikL
    NikL

All really good points.

I noticed that it says, " choosing to follow an independent course, we would be placing ourselves at odds with God’s unfolding purpose. This could endanger our peaceful relationship with Jehovah."

It says it "could" endanger our " peaceful relationship with Jehovah."

In the past, they would have said it definately would. No?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit