the love of animals

by Aussie Oz 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

NO, not that sort of 'love'

how do you feel about animals?

Never been one for pets although when a jw we had our fair share.

these days i just love looking out the window in the morning and seeing the wild rabbits eating our long grass (even though out here we are supposed do do out bit to eradicate the 'pest')

I walk out of my workshop in the late afternoon and watch the flock of sheep with about 50 newborn lambs bleating and playing and are transfixed as i watch the ewes able to talk to their lamb and the lamb to its mother come running from 100 metres away for a feed.

We have a mouse problem and i can't bear to kill them so i bought a live capture trap and let them go in the paddock. One got distressed and was very weak. And there was me, a 49 year old man trying to revive a dying field mouse with a cap of water because it may have been dehydrated from its night in the closed trap.

Dont know how i will deal with the inevitable foxes when we get chickens!

oz

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A dog killed my last chooks.

I love rabbits too. Unfortunately, I live in town so I'm not allowed to shoot them. The ferrets get them instead.

I don't have any pets now. I like the freedom to bugger off at any time I like, for as long as I like, without having to deal with pets.

I am a caretaker for Wanderer butterflies and many of the local butterflies took their first flight from my finger. Sometimes I have to decide if I am going to repair a damaged wing or stand on it. In autumn I stand on their caterpillars to protect their food plants for the next year.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Black Sheep,

How do you repair a damaged butterfly wing?

I was pretty ambivilant to animals until the last few years. Must be getting mellow in my older years!

• Black Sheep
  • Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

BS: Well, there you go! You learn something new every day!!

• penny2
    penny2

Aussie, it must be lovely looking at those lambs, but you need to get tough with the mice because there's a plague. I heard today that driving through the Hummocks on the Yorke Peninsula, you can't see the bitumen for the mice. Trapping them is more humane than bait but you need the proper traps.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Facinating! . . . never even heard of that before . . . great post

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I am the same way...can't bear to hurt an animal (unless it's a spider...those bastards are on my radar!). I've had many pets, some were considered unconventional (I love rats), and some were of the more normal type (cats, dogs, hamsters).

OZ~ You mentioned the mouse you tried nursing back to health...I've got a story for you! I used to work in a warehouse and the company owner used glue traps (I HATE THOSE THINGS! SO INHUMANE!). Well, one morning while I was filling a product order, I smelled that "death" stench coming from the corner where the water heater was. I went to look, and lo and behold, there were 2 tiny field mice on it, probably only a few weeks old and JUST venturing out of the nest. I immediately felt a little stab in my heart at such a loss of life...but as I was looking, I saw one of them start squirming! I knew I couldn't just leave her there to die like her sibling...a glue trap death is long and painful...they basically struggle until they rupture internally and bleed to death. I couldn't allow that! So, I picked up the trap and headed to the bathroom with it (my co-workers looked at me like I'd lost my mind). I ran the warm water and applied it to the edges of her fur (she was stuck on her left side, so half her face and mouth, and 2 of her legs were glued down). I slowly and painstakingly applied water and kept prying little by little, gently, until she finally came free! Poor little thing had been stuck there so long, her entire side was paralyzed! She couldn't move it at all. I got an empty candy container (plastic) and put a mound of toilet paper inside, and then I put her in it and put her in the break room. On my lunch break, I shared my string cheese stick with her, but she was so weak and couldn't move her jaw enough to bite it, so I scraped bits of it onto her incisors and she used her tongue to move it to her back teeth and chewed as best she could...I also used a small bottle cap to give her water bit by bit. I brought her home (and named her Sticky) and I fed her like that until the next afternoon...I went to feed her again, and she was GONE! I ended up finding her in the bathroom and caught her (she was a fast little bugger!). At that point I realized she was just fine so I let her go in the grass outside. She squeaked a little when I let her go, and I liked to think she was saying "Thank you".

Oh! Speaking of rabbits, too... There are bunch of them that hippity hop around here late at night and in the morning... The night before Easter, my dad and I were coming home and we saw one running on the side of the road... My dad says "Awww, bun-bun!"... I said "Yeah, the little bastard's out hiding his eggs!!" He almost drove off the road laughing...

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well, that beats my mouse story! mine died poor bugger.

I know penny... i can't just yet. when they get too bad i know i have to kill them but...

and saving butterflies! wow...

oz

• outlawwilly
    outlawwilly

Meh. I let my kids get a cat in the last year and a half. That damn thing was outside me sons window as a tiny disheveled kitten near the end of Summer. Here in Canada, fall and cold comes in quick and hard, rarely is there a "transition" period, and for some odd and very rare reason, I felt bad for this thing. Even the wife asked if I got knocked in the head. I am still not an animal lover per se. I just am not a monster and I do not wish any ill will on defenceless people or creatures, but I am still, meh. One time, my ex fiance had a dog that got hit by a car and was pretty torn up. Her whole family was crying and emotional. I had to do what I had to do to end the suffering. Whilst they were all in the house, I took the thing back to the back part of their lot, and put a 9mm slug into its head. I did not feel any sort of remorse or guilt, because I ended an irreversable suffering. I guess I am neutral on the whole thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit