Jewelry advice

by TD 13 Replies latest social relationships

• TD
    TD

As every married man knows (Or should know) anniversaries where the number ends in either Zero or Five are more special and important than all the others. (e.g. Your 20th is somehow more special than the 19th) Anyhow, I've got one of those "magic number" anniversaries coming up and am thinking about jewelry.

Any advice for getting the most bang for your buck? Any good experiences? Any mistakes you've made in the past?

• Scully
    Scully

Remodelling the kitchen works nicely too.

Small box = earrings or a ring.

Bigger box = necklace or bracelet.

Rule of thumb (according to my nurse colleagues) is that she will be more excited about a smaller box than a bigger one.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

EDIT: Yeahhh, not funny. I'm gonna be over by the punch bowl if anyone needs me.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

On one of those "5" or "0" anniversaries past, my husband swiped my wedding ring w/o me knowing it and had four diamonds added (the number four was for aesthetic purposes, not for any special meaning). He took me out to dinner and presented me with a small box (yes, those little boxes!) inside of which was my beautiful, even-better ring.

The only downside was that I went through a degree of agitation for the preceding two weeks thinking I'd lost my wedding ring! So while the result was wonderful, that aspect might have to be navigated so your significant other doesn't have a melt-down!

• Stealth
    Stealth

If you are considering a diamond, buy used. Diamonds don't wear out! If you buy used you can save 80% over retail.

Meet at a public Jewlers, most will let you look at it under a scope and will verify that it is in fact real or fake. Have the used diamond re-mounted in a new custom built *new* ring.

The retail markup on diamonds is just crazy. Don't do it. If you are not familiar with how diamonds are graded by color, clarity and size, you will want to do some research on that first.

My last used diamond purchase was $900 for a 1.66 ct princes cut stone that had a very small chip on the top edge. Had the stone recut down to 1.51 ct for $300 and mounted in a new ring. It apprased for $13,000 but I only have $2,000 investment.

This approach does require a time factor that you may not have.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

We buy each other guitars.I got him an old Gibson last year,our 10th.He got me a wonderful Brazilian classical that Id been lusting after...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I buy a lot of schlocky fashion jewelry on QVC. In case my financial situation improves, I've visited Tiffany's, Cartier, Van Clef & Arpels, Harry Winston and Buccellati recently. One thing was clear. Yellow gold is in among the high end jewelry buffs.

I was told it is much better to have a few significant pieces of good quality than a bunch of junk. My window shopping expedition was instructive. Once I saw the quality at the fine stores, I did not want anything less so I am now satisfied with fashion jewelry.

I love Art Deco and Art Nouveau pieces.

It may not be romantic but consider a special card announcing your intention to give her a piece of jewelry. She should pick out what she wants. Maybe you know her type and what she likes. It is so personal. I would go for quality over the big end stuff. Pearls without lustre that could never be legally considered pearls are now ubiquitous. I prefer pearls to diamonds.

An Hermes scarf ($400) also makes a great gift.

Miriam Haskell and Kenneth Jay Lane do interesting fashion pieces.

Unless you have at least a one carat solitare from Tiffany's, Cartier's, etc., it may be a crummy invesment.

Antique compacts, cameos, stuff with character are available through stores that sell vintage. Cartier's and Tiffany's were selling their vintage pieces when I visited them. The old stuff was more impressive than the new. Bottom line is that it is very personal.

I'd like a smaller, token piece with a charitable donation to a cause I like.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

What is your budget?

For ideas check out the major jewelry "middlemen" Debeers, Barmakians, DePrisco, Descenza etc.

Personally I LOVE sparkly jewelry and diamonds OMG I am in love. :)

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If you're on a budget for diamonds, check out Blue Nile. They have a great selection in diamonds and well-designed jewelry. I got a flawless, colorless (you can see it from across the room type) 1/3 carat diamond (not too big but not small either) with a very nice gold band for under $700 - the jewelry shops in the mall wanted to charge me $1200 and up + tax for something similar.

• minimus
    minimus

With gold at record prices, many people are buying silver items, depending upon budget.

Buying a "used" diamond is fine if your spouse doesn't mind wearing something from a former marriage. Most women don't like that.

If you go to a "trusted jeweler", you should be ok.

You can check out Craigslist for some good deals.

But most wives want their husbands to make their present "special", with planning.

Budget is what it's all about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit