THOSE WERE THE DAYS

by snowbird 29 Replies latest social entertainment

• prophecor
    prophecor

you rock southern girl

• snowbird
  • scary21
    scary21

My mom was so much like Edith. It was so easy to pull the wool over her eyes,back when I was a teen. Believes anything. Can be quite amusing sometimes. Explains why she's a JW!!!!!! lol lol lol Can you imagine Edith at the kingdom hall?

Sherry

• Farkel
    Farkel

I was a pioneer and loyal dub when "All in the Family" was airing and I loved it!

We had so many of those classic TV shows back then: Mary Tyler More Show, then Lou Grant, The Bob Newhart Show, Laugh In, Banacek, Star Trek, to name just a few.

Mostly though, we were forced to watch the Watchtower Show. It was only available on one channel and featured 1975 as its theme. Unfortunately, that show was cancelled in January 1, 1976 and has never been picked up for re-runs. You may watch "All in the Family" and the others I mentioned in re-runs, though.

They are more durable than the "1975" show produced by the Watchtower Printing, Distribution and Lying Corporation. Even more importantly, no one sacrificed their homes, treasure, education, medical care, jobs and education who watched "All in the Family" and refused to watch "Stay Alive 'Til '75!"

And: a whole bunch of people who sacrificed everything to "Stay Alive 'Til '75" are DEAD in 2011. Nearly EVERYONE who was told to sacrifice everything to make it to 19 25 which was promoted as a more certain date than the "flood of Noah's day" IS dead. Same lie. Same liars. Different dates, EIGHTY SIX years apart, but the same promise for each false date and lie. Different dead believers who believed that horseshit from the Watchtower Horseshit Printing Corporation whose main contribution for over 120 years is destroying families and peoples lives and tearing fathers and mothers from daughters and sons and causing congregants to fear and distrust not only the non-Watchtowerites, but each other.

What a truly disgusting and filthy and evil and vile a religion that is.

Farkel

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, Farkel.

Amen.

Syl

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Those good old days, when the world was actually worse in function of income and health:

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_shows_the_best_stats_you_ve_ever_seen.html

Several studies on nostalgia show that everybody thinks the 'old days' when they were young were better even though the data suggests otherwise.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ecclesiastes 7:10 Don't always be asking, "Where are the good old days?"
    Wise folks don't ask questions like that. The Message Bible

Syl

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, well, well... what have we here?? I now realize I've been missing out by not checking the "Entertainment" room more often, dear Miz Sylvie (the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear!). Got all kinds of threads going on up in here, don'cha, chile? Good ones, too. Like this one. Man, weren't those "Good Times"? I think the thing I miss most was the freedom I had growing up. I was telling my husband the other day how FAR my brother and I would go to "play." Miles. Across town. Wherever... so long as you were "home by the time the street lights come on." I was blocks away playing with friends as young as age 3, and all the way across town by age 10.

So long as my skates (remember the keys... and metal clips cross the rubber tops of your Keds?)... skateboard (anyone remember the skinny little board with shaky metal wheels?), or gokart (a box, some rope and some wheels stolen off an old baby carriage!) could get me there and back. No one played in the backyard - we played in the street, and not always our own street. Now, kids almost can't even go outside. It's either the backyard or no further than the driveway. Almost NEVER (if ever) to the park, etc., without an adult. So sad.

Yeah, girl, those were the days (although being raised by a father born during the Great Depression had its own unique challenges. Literally nothing was thrown away. Tin, aluminum, paper, rubber, glass - hey, anyone remember collecting soda bottles for nickles/dimes?).

Thanks for the "walk", dear one, and, again, peace to you!

Your sirvint, sistah, and feller slav 'o de Lawd,

Miz Shebbie, also raised in the "south" - Virginia/the Carolinas during many a summer... and southern Cali the rest of the year...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Got all kinds of threads going on up in here, don'cha, chile?

LOL.

Yes, ma'am.

I'm waxing nostalgic. I'm afraid.

Thanks for indulging me.

You may just enjoy this, also: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/entertainment/209835/1/Pimped-by-Grandma

Syl

• Inkie
    Inkie

And, of course, one of MY favorite “Those were the days” songs was written by

songwriters: STROUSE, CHARLES/ADAMS, LEE, and sung by the lovely Mary Hopkin:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
    Where we used to raise a glass or two
    Remember how we laughed away the hours
    And think of all the great things we would DO
    Chorus:

Those were the days, my friend
    We thought they'd never end
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day
    We'd live the life we choose
    We'd fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way
    La la la la la la
    La la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us
    We lost our starry notions on the way
    If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
    We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days
    Oh, yes, those were the days
    La la la la la la
    La la la la la la
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/mary_hopkin/those_were_the_days_my_friend.html ] Just tonight I stood before the tavern
    Nothing seemed the way it used to be
    In the glass I saw a strange reflection
    Was that lonely woman really me?

Those were the days
    La la la la la la
    La la la la la la

Through the door there came familiar laughter
    I saw your face and heard you call my name
    Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
    For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...

Those were the days
    La la la la la la
    La la la la la la

Aaahhhh . . . nostalgia . . . what a wonderful thing. . . .

--Inkie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit