snowbird

LaSalle

A LaSalle built by GM from 1927-40.

Did Rutherford have one?

LOL.

Syl

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I feel young... Especially listening to a song about people reminiscing about the Great Depression. LoL

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I will never forget the first show. It was so shocking! Saturday Night Live was funny but the first time it was on, they did a commercial parody but no one did commercial parodies on TV. It became more and more bizarre. We could not understand what was happening.

All in the Family is on syndication now. I watch it regularly. My JW father and Archie looked like twins. The same hat, black pants and white atheltic socks. Their home looked just like our home. It was reminiscent of Jackie Gleason's the Honeymooners. Ah, the mispronounciations. Now that I am older and I've seen the episode almost as many times as Star Trek, I pay attention to the writing. I always thought Archie was too much a buffoon. One gf's bf thought Archie was a hero. I see that there was a layer that realized that Mike was not perfect. Edith, though, remains a saint.

I recall so many shows. One jarring was when someone came by about violence with Israel or something. It was a comedy but ended up with the man being blown to bits by a car bomb.

Archie's Bunker's Place, I hated.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Just so everyone knows, the man who played Archie was the complete opposite in real life.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

You brought back memories of watching the show with me too. I just started watching the reruns on Antenna TV and TVLand. It's the amazing that I remember practically the whole scripts of the shows while watching, I thought The Honeymooners was the only show that I could quote word for word!

• compound complex
    compound complex

GoAntiques Image 1 Sunbeam Automatic Mixmaster mixer with bowls

Hardly a LaSalle, but the Sunbeam Automatic Mixmaster that I was assembling today (above identical to Grandma's, circa 1940) brought back many a lovely memory ...

Thanks, Syl!

CoCo

• Violia
    Violia

It was one of my favorite shows in that time period. I loved the "roach" episode, Archie trying to kill a roach. Worthy of SNL.

I was a major fan of Louise Lasser in " Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" . It only lasted a year but it was precious. I even bought the album that came from it sung by the next door neighbor Mary Kay Place) who became one of Jehovah's Witnesses as a part of her character Loretta. Mary Kay Place was her real name and she went on to do a lot of things, "The Big Chill" ( the wake up movie for all us boomer's) in which she played played Meg , the Attorney in the movie.

Maybe I will watch" The big chill" again. Those really were the days . I can't hear Marvin Gaye's song " Heard it through the grapevine" without thinking of that movie.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I've been watching All in the Family again lately too! I always think of my grandfather - he LOVED this show. Even though he didn't speak a word of english, it was his favorite. He'd chuckle at Archie - didn't know what he was saying but loved it anyway.

Some of the episodes have me doubled over and catching my breath. The one where Stretch Cunningham dies just about made me pee my pants.

Thanks for the thread, Syl!!!

• prophecor
    prophecor

I loved the show. It marked a turning point in history where sitcoms grew more and more racy during the end of the 60 and into the early 70's. Racial lines were no longer being ignored and the voice of America and how it felt regarding race was comedically challenged. Laugh In pushed a lot of things on the public that they weren't willing to face at that time. Flip Wilson, Sanford and Son were others that pushed the envelope as well. There will never be another comedy like "All in the Family". It was a show ahead of it's time and America had to rush to keep up.

• snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit