Osama bin Laden is Dead

by jamiebowers 283 Replies latest social current

• undercover
    undercover
    61% of Americans believe that Osama is now in Hell.

Cool. That'll give the South Park guys another character to hang out with Satan and Saddam...

• Glander
    Glander

ZZ Top is auditioning for a new backup guitar player.

• whereami
    whereami
    I kind of want to see pics too. I want to make sure it wasn't just Willie Nelson with a towel on his head.

• Babyruth
    Babyruth

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to the night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only LOVE can do that" Martin Luther King Jr.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I see at more as a sense of relief and quite frankly justice. A criminal is off the streets today. Yay!

That's swell of Dr. King, he was a great man. But I would have beat hell out of the bastards that blew up the church in Birmingham myself if given the chance.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

BabyRuth,

Kudos to you, as well as the author, MLK for the statement. What a testimony it would have been to see at least a few news reports of people holding a candle light vigil or something similar for those who died on 9/11, instead of the parties and dancing in the streets that we saw, much in the same way certain factions did after the attacks on 9/11 that hurt us so badly.

Personally, I don't know whether or not things went down the way that the Gov't says, but on that night after we heard about his demise, we lit a nice candle, NOT for Osama, but in honor of those who died because of his atrocities. We are leaving the judging up to a higher power.

• leavingwt
  • Babyruth
    Babyruth

Ooops! I still think it is a great quote no matter who said it.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Osama was evil but I was personally disgusted that people were celebrating in the streets. I agree with ohiocowboy, that the lighting of candles in memory of those lost during 9/11 would have been more appropriate.

I just see more violence in the near future.

http://thegrowingarts.com/misc-growth/23821-martin-luther-king-jr-quote-on-celebrating-death.html

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." — Martin Luther King Jr

Apparently he didn't actually say that first part but it sure sounded good.

There seems to be quite a bit confusion about what Martin Lurther King actually said, here's the full quote in it's entirety, from A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Are we seeking power for power's sake? Or are we seeking to make the world and our nation better places to live. If we seek the latter, violence can never provide the answer. The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

LOVE is the key! Only LOVE.

• Angharad
    Angharad

I've already removed a very graphic photo from another thread today. Just so it is noted in this thread also we do not wish to have graphic pictures (no matter who they are of) posted on this forum. If people want to see them they can search on the internet for them themselves. If anyone does post them here they will be immediately removed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit