Being raciest, need clarity.

by free2beme 31 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Growing up a Witness, and having black friends and and relatives. I was kind of in the dark as to what being a raciest was really based on. So as I get older and think about it more, I thought it might be an interesting question to discuss what you think makes a person raciest and how they base this thinking.

I am going to use the African American racism in this example, as I think that more then any other group. They have shown strength and willingness to fight, while also taking the most heat from the white race. So I ask, what is it in the year 2011 that raciest base their racism on. I mean, all hatred in any form has to have a reason I believe.

So I ask, are racist toward black people thinking one of these items.

1.) Do they still hold to the idea that a black person should be a slave? Like they think that seeing them in a normal life is some how wrong and they were meant to be slaves? Do they base this on the same thinking of the ignorant whites of history, who used ideas from the Bible to prove this odd thinking?

2.) Do they feel this way, as they only want to see the crimes commited by black people? Basically watching the news about a white killer, a white woman who kills her children and white robbery suspect. Then they see a story about a black man who commited a rape and think to themselve, 'Look at those black people committing all those crimes. I think all black people are crimminals?' Is that the thinking they have?

I guess what I am getting at here, from having a background that did not grow hatred towards black people. I am perplexed as to what is used to drive it. It seems a stretch to think either way in this modern world, when in my town a lone I see more white people commiting crimes then black people. By large leaps and bounds! Yet, in this small town America location, I can see examples of racism constantly.

What are your thoughts, what drives this insanity in our modern era?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Who's "they" ?

• iveseenthelight
    iveseenthelight

Ditto - Who do you mean by "they"?

In my opinion racism can be based on so many things, all illogical. I reckon people have personal reasons for being racist. Be it feelings of superiority over another race, fear, or just plain ignorance.

I think you should count your lucky stars that you have not been exposed to this way of thinking. And maybe not concentrate so much on the madness behind it. If you do come accross someone who displays this sort of thinking maybe the best way to get answers is to ask them straight why they feel that way.

• Reality79
    Reality79

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

It goes both ways too. African American/hispanic/etc. celebs and comedians are always bashing white folks, but it's OK for some reason. If the situation were reversed, there would be all hell to pay.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Anyone who answered this question would be crucified. Turn it around, start a new thread of why blacks hate whites so much and you'll get plenty of completely politically correct answers that won't be ridiculed. You've pretty much already set the stage with "what drives this insanity in our modern era?" inviting only negative responses, when you're claiming to invite reasons for it. Basically, you're fishing for people to agree with you. Are your beliefs so shallow you need everyone around you to agree?

p.s. Before you do, you might want to learn how to spell "racism" and "racist".

• ballistic
    ballistic

I also think the question is a bit flawed. I think you would have been better off asking what you think are the sources of , i.e. feeling of superiority, xenaphobia, protectionism, fear or ignorance, etc

• Glander
    Glander

free2,

Are you black? If so, have you experienced genuine racy-ism directed towards you personally because of your skin color? Why this thread subject?

The sad truth is that many black people assume race prejudice in situations that people of all colors accept as the reality of day to day life, like not being hired for the job you applied for or rude, unfriendly people, etc.

A more complex evaluation of things like prison race percentages that exceed the general population mix or the number of illigitimate (and 'Father-less) children born into one racially profiled group more than another can be the basis for interesting discussions of political influences.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

p.s. Before you do, you might want to learn how to spell "racism" and "racist".

I thought about this for a split second when I noticed the thread title. I though to myself, "hmmmm.....what's being raciest?" Images of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and that old guy who says,"Stay thirsty my friends", all went rummaging through my mind.

This thread has potential, but as other mentioned, the thread title and opening post may get some thoughts misconstrued.

I also think the question is a bit flawed. I think you would have been better off asking what you think are the sources of , i.e. feeling of superiority, xenaphobia, protectionism, fear or ignorance, etc

I like the way you adjusted the original question, because the answers as to where racism, prejudices, xenophobia and all that jazz are pretty complicated, and one guy's hatred will result from different sources than another person's contempt. Everything from upbringing, negative experiences when dealing with "others", common views within a community that make it difficult for an individual residing within that community to reach his/her own conclusion about other people, etc.. Not to mention you can't lump all racists in the same category anymore. You've got white nationalists, but you also have white seperatists. You can go on Stormfront right now, and periodically you'll see a poster that states he's a white nationalist, but he was hanging out with his black friends. That really through me for a loop when I used to lurk there out of fascination like, "so this is what extremist white folks think..."

Black people are the same way. My dad would never admit it, but he hates white people. He's in his own self denial about it. Much of it is a result of what he experienced growing up in this country, and to be honest I'd have a hard time not hating white people too had I shared his experiences. As it stands, I haven't, and too many white dudes looked out on my behalf and did good by me, but then again my generation is different from those that preceded us. My dad on the other hand will freely say in his house that he doesn't care what happens to white people. Then he'll backtrack because he recognizes the hypocrisy in his thoughts and will admit its not right to think like that. Like when the BP Oil Spill happened, and many white fisherman were affected negatively, possibly losing the only way they know to make a living. I remember he would make comments like, "why should I care about them? Those same ones and their fathers did everything in their power to keep us down. When the Vietamese went to buy fishing boats in this country decades ago, those same whites would tell them that they couldn't fish there, or sell them boats with holes in them. Now the shoe is on the other foot. We need the Kingdom Misery. Come soon Jehovah!"

What he says is truthful, but it doesnt make it right, but I post this just to give an example of how complex racism can be at times. It's not as simple as happy to be white yet overly tanned at the salon and turned orange cracka ass crackas, and "gold teeth-gold chain wearin, fried chicken and biscuit eatin, monkey, ape, baboon, bog thigh, fast runnin, 360 degree basketball dunkin spade Moulan Yan."-great line in Do The Right Thing

By the way, where's the white women? Palmtree hasn't posted any pictures lately.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@Glander

Don't do it! It's a trap. Don't mention statistics. You'll be labeled a "racist". You'll be accused of getting them from the KKK website. Don't talk about IQ, illegitimacy, drop-out rate, prison population, inter-racial violent crime, welfare, or any of that stuff. None of it matters, because it's all Whitey's fault. You should know that by now, Cracker!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit