Is God Responsible For Bad Things that Happen?

by What Now? 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• What Now?
    What Now?

This is a question that I have struggled with, not just as a Jehovah’s Witness but as a believer in God.

The Bible Teach book, in Chapter One says that religious teachers sometimes lead people to think that God is hardhearted by saying that when tragedy strikes, it is God’s will. In effect, such teachers blame God for the bad things that happen.

The book goes on to say that he does allow bad things to happen. But there is a big difference between allowing something to happen and causing it.

If I saw someone was about to step out on to the road in front of a bus and I was fully capable of pulling them to safety but I chose not to, am I not still in a way responsible for what happens to them?

If something were to happen to someone I loved, someone of another faith might tell me that “God needed another angel in heaven”. A Witness hearing that would disagree, saying that that would mean the blame lies with God. But how is that any different from saying that God had the power to protect my loved one, or cure them of their sickness, or prevent that terrible thing from happening, but chose not to do anything about it?

What are your thoughts on this?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I hear ya, and I struggle with these questions too. On one hand I believe God dignifies the human race by not holding our hands on everything. The same way human parents dignify their offspring by allowing them privileges and responsibilities, like "dad can I have the car tonight? I've got a date." Also, Jesus said he was fond of the sons of men, which I always took to mean as a loving fascination with us. We're not quite domestic animals in his eyes, but we're loved similarily or more.

Then there's the JW side of me that is somewhat compelling, but also nuanced. According to the WT, God is allowing bad things to happen to prove a point that we're incapable of self rule. We're taught that God with his angels, and Satan with his demons have been in a fierce debate for the past 6000 years and we're, meaning you and I, are the pawns in this invisible chess game being played by spirit creatures. The more I think about it, it becomes more and more senseless. All this suffering, misery, and death all over two invisible spirits with their followers having a disagreement.

There's a barber that I used to go to when I was a kid up until my years as a young man. Black barber shops are never short on conversation, and subjects often focus on social concerns within the black community, such as black on black crime. My barber made the comment that when it comes to black violence, he feels that its not entirely the fault of young blacks. The reason he feels that way is as he put it, "we had good teachers." In a sense when I think about global conflicts presently occuring and in the past, I find myself thinking about what my former barber said and I have the inclination to apply that same "good teachers" outlook to God's conflict with Satan and their respective armies. You can't entirely blame the human race for all the woes on this planet, because if God and Satan exist, they can both be accused of directly influencing events, or gross inaction. One might even say negligence.

The JW side of me also thinks of Rev 12:7-9 which talks of the Devil and his army being evicted from the heavens and is down here with us invisibly causing trouble. The thinking side of me, or maybe even the Devil's Advocate side of me, causes me to think of God's interference in mankind's affairs which are well documented in the Bible. When you sit down and examine it, the Bible has far more accounts of God having more direct involvement in mankind's affairs through violence, than the Devil. If you believe John's Revelation is legitimate and should be cannon, then you also believe God through his Son is going to get involved with mankind's affairs again, this time far worse than in times past.

I don't know what to think sometimes. It's 11:31 here, and I need a drink.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

If there is an omnipotent god, he/she/it has allowed countless suffering throughout the ages.

Some people bring suffering upon themselves.

However countless infants and children have suffered and died brutal deaths.

A god who allows that, has no love or compassion, there is no excuse.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    But there is a big difference between allowing something to happen and causing it.

If I were to simply stand by and watch my daughter get savagely beaten, when I could easily stop the attack, how am I not responsible?

In my worldview, God doesn't exist. Therefore, he's not responsible for anything.

Simply put, $hit happens. We're all going to die, and we're the lucky ones. Most people are never born.

Or, we can blame invisible people and look to magical answers for comfort.

• What Now?
    What Now?

@ No Room For George - that is such an interesting point that you make, that the Bible has more accounts of God having involvement in human affairs through violence than the Devil. And when you use that analogy of a big invisible chess game, you are right, it just seems so senseless and ridiculous. Sometimes the Jehovah of the old testament seems like a bit of a bully - "obey me, or suffer and DIE!".

@ leavingwt - i understand why people adopt the world view that God does not exist. But if he doesnt, that means that theres no one more powerful than I am looking out for my son, and the thought terrifies me.

• The Finger
    The Finger

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
    the more knowledge, the more grief.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    But if he doesnt, that means that theres no one more powerful than I am looking out for my son, and the thought terrifies me.

Yes, it could be a little terrifying, at first. I think I felt that way for a while.

However, consider the numbers. Consider reality. Consider history.

Would you agree that tens of millions on this planet in recorded history have suffered fates that can only be described as, "nobody looking after them"?

However, YOU are looking out for your son. That is a very good thing. There are children in orphanages around the world without parents. There are children with sorry parents.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Omnibenevolence: unlimited or infinite benevolence (disposition to do good).

I don't believe that standing by and allowing evil or terrible dibilitating disease shows a disposition to do good, let alone in an unlimited way.

Rather than say that "their God" is not omnibenevolent, most Christians do as JW's have done and try to redefine what it means. They insist that God can undo any unjust suffering.

To me, that smacks of torture. Some child is born into pain to learn a lesson, but the lesson isn't clearly spelled out. I mean- even if your own child were a murderer, you wouldn't torture them. If you had the power to prevent childrens' sufferings, you would use that power.

• Satanus
    Satanus

An omnipotent omniscient god sitting by idly, while all kinds of crap is being done, that he could stop instantly w his little finger? Put yourself in that position. Would you sit there and do nothing for eons?

An omnipotent omniscient god sitting by idly, no, not idle, adding to the crap by manipulating various aspects just to prove that he is better than is the human race? That is the wt worldview. Supposedly, restricting satan to the earth since 1918 has made things a lot worse. Supposedly, wtgod/biblegod confused the people at babel, so they couldn't cooperate anymore. This led to all kinds of conflicts. We only are just getting out of this communication problem in the last few centuries. Worldwide trade and easier communication are reducing conflicts. Wt/biblegod must be getting nervous. He must be keeping his fingers crossed, hoping we don't get it together, or he'll need to find another excuse to screw us up, cuz if we do succeed, then that would prove that the humans way works ok, and satan was correct, when he placed his bet on the side of humanity.

S

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

In the only Book that counts it says:

Isa 45:5

I am Jehovah, and there is none else, no God besides Me; I clothed you, though you have not known Me; 6 that they may know from the rising of the sun, and to the sunset, that there is none besides Me. I am Jehovah, and there is none else; 7forming the light and creating darkness; making peace and creating evil. I Jehovah do all these things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit