For British exjws: how has your view of the Royal Family etc changed

by jean-luc picard 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

With the Royal wedding in the news,

has your perspective of the Royal Family, Her Majesty The Queen, the national anthem, and maybe politics in general, changed since you left the Borg?

Even if you're not British, would you say you are more patriotic now?

• watersprout
    watersprout

I have always loved the Royal family... My mom was always very patriotic, used to watch the Queens speech on xmas day and anything to do with the Royal family mom bought, watched, read it... When i was a dubbie, the WT used to make me feel like i was commiting a sin for thinking highly of them. Since i have left i have become very patriotic, feels like i can show my true colours now... Got Royal family memorabilia in the house now. Lol

Peace

• Listener
    Listener

The Queen is still on our Australian coins. My opinions haven't changed, what King Henry VIII did in the name of religion was horrific, not to mention many english Kings and Queens of days gone by.

Kate Middleton was only confirmed in the Church of England on March 10th.

That doesn't mean to say I have no interest in them. I have enjoyed reading novels that include historical facts about the monarchy and was curious as to the wedding dresses worn by Kate and Princess Di.

• the max
    the max

Here is were we agree to differ, before I did the JW thing, I would have been a communist. The distribution or wealth and the removal of inequality in society was impotant to me. Jesus in many ways, seemed to me a communist, that was an attraction, this utopian state of equality would be brought around by god. So for me the royals are PARASITES, and only serve to reinforce the huge gulf in wealth and privalige in our (UK) country. Sorry Watersprout lol

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

So for me the royals are PARASITES...

But the wedding ( taking one example) has brought a great sum of money into the British economy,

one that will have benefited the "common man", dont you think?

Isn't it rather a symbiotic relationship nowadays?

• Mat
    Mat

I've always been indifferent to the Royal Family. No change.

• XxAmeliaXx
    XxAmeliaXx

I always liked them until Diana's untimely death.

Nothing to do with being JW or not.

• manthedan
    manthedan

I have never worried about the "Royals" over in the UK. To me they are just the same as a Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears or any other celebrity here in the US. Some people love to salivate over such people and their lives.... I also feel the "Royals" are totally irrelevant when it comes to politics.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I think it's a collosal waste of funds. Twenty Million? and not even a thank-you to the British taxpayer for picking up the tab. Americans have gone batty over the Royal stuff here. I just can't believe how it's dominated the news...it's not like we have two wars going or anything....

• the max
    the max

JLP, The relationship is symbiotic, if you live in London there is no doubt you probably stand to gain financially. I like William and Harry as people, I was pleased Harry got his granny(THE QUEEN) to let him serve in Afghanistan,and on the front line,but servitude, NEVER.

I was about to say I prefer the American model, then I remembered George W Bush ! enough said !!!

I actually have much blue blood, My family name is one of the top 4 in Europe, though I still think the French had the right idea !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit