What do Jehovah's Witnesses do about compulsory voting in Australia?

by slimboyfat 13 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Yes I too was in for 33yrs never voted & never got fined after sending in my excuses , much the same as the previous posts.

LBT nobody in Australia voted in Julia Gillard ( just nitpickin )

smiddy

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

Thats EXACTLY what I never understood - why JW REGISTER to vote (its the law) but dont vote.... but voting is also the law.

Im certain the loophole of "not voting for religious reasons" was created JUST for JW's.. afternall have you EVER heard of any other group that doesn't vote???

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is a small fine for not voting. However, when you receive the fine you can have it suspended by invoking your constitutional right not to vote. I used to write something such as:

"As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I chose to abstain from voting as a conscientious objector. God states at Dan 2:44 that soon all governments will be replaced by God's own goverment and I support only Jesus as my rightful ruler."

I fill out my wife's forms in recent times with something like the following.

"As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I chose to abstain from voting as a conscientious objector. I only support God's government because God states at Dan 2:44 that he will soon destroy all governments and kill everyone not a Jehovah's Witness at Armageddon."

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I fill out my wife's forms in recent times with something like the following.
    "As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I chose to abstain from voting as a conscientious objector. I only support God's government because God states at Dan 2:44 that he will soon destroy all governments and kill everyone not a Jehovah's Witness at Armageddon."

Hahaha that's too funny Paul but true by JW thinking.

As others have stated, small fine that is avoided by stating that you didn't vote for religious/conscience reasons.

After doing that for so many years (all my adult voting life) I can not be bothered queuing up to vote now.

3M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit