What's the Watchtower's current stance on...

by FifthOfNovember 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Anony Mous wrote:

The Watchtower of 15 October 1969, page 622:

"More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind’s life on earth would end in the mid-seventies. Thus the seventh millennium from man’s creation by Jehovah God would begin within less than ten years ... Would not, then, the end of six millenniums of mankind’s laborious enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a Sabbath millennium for all his human creatures? Yes, indeed!"

Ok, six millenniums of mankind's enslavement under Satan's rulership came to an end by the year 1975, but what doesn't add up?

@djeggnog wrote:

What are these "creationist days" to which you refer? Jehovah's Witnesses do not teach and never have taught a thing about "creationist days, so I'd like to know what these "days" are, and what is [it] you meant here when you wrote that "if 1975 didn't match with the creationist days"?

@Anony Mous wrote:

No comment ;-) They do teach about the days of creation - you have to reject the whole Bible if you don't accept that.

Again, what are these "creationist days" to which you refer, and what did you mean by "if 1975 didn't match with the creationist days"?

@Anony Mous wrote:

You can't take everything the Bible (or the JW) say literally or interpret it according to anyone's faith.

@djeggnog wrote:

While Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe and have never taught that everything that one reads in the Bible must be understood to be literal, two questions: (1) What role do you believe faith has with Jehovah's Witnesses' interpretation of the Bible? and (2) what role do you believe faith has with anyone else's (other than Jehovah's Witnesses') interpretation of the Bible?

@Anony Mous wrote:

Faith has nothing to do with the JW's interpretation of the Bible imho since their 'faith' changes every 6 months. Thus it cannot be faith that drives a JW's interpretation of the Bible since faith conveys the thought of confidence, trust, firm persuasion (also Insight book).

I agree with you that faith conveys the idea of confidence, the idea of the kind of trust that you might place in someone or have in some particular thing, but you contradict yourself when you suggest that the faith of Jehovah's Witnesses "changes every 6 months." But how can someone or some particular thing that undergoes a change after six months' time be said to be on a par with confidence, with faith? You're not making any sense to me, so let me provide an example to you of what faith is, so that you might understand one way in which faith is synonymous with confidence, but that faith cannot change "every 6 months" as you claim because I really don't think you have a clue as to what faith is, generally speaking, or what it means for someone to have it.

Three months in advance, you book a flight for you, your spouse and your two minor children on some airline to fly 1,800 miles to where many of your relatives plan to gather for the next family reunion. You are a part of a pretty large family, and this is the kind of thing that your family does every odd year, so just as you did in July of 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009, you have booked a flight this year in July of 2011 and will no doubt be booking a flight two years from now to the next family reunion after this one in July of 2013.

Now you have hope that you will see all of your family members at the family reunion this July, which is an assured expectation that you will definitely get to see your two favorite cousins and your favorite uncle will be there because you know for a fact that they, like you and your spouse, will always make an effort to be present among the attendees at the family reunion, even though these realities won't demonstrate themselves until July when you believe will behold their smiling faces when you and your family arrive at this year's family reunion.

Note that the confidence that you have in this scenario in the fact that there will be a family reunion this July is what drove you to buy four round-trip plane tickets for your family some three months in advance, and plane tickets are typically less expensive when purchased more than a month out, so your confidence brought you a side-benefit as well. Another word for "confidence" is faith, for "faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld."

Without faith, you wouldn't have purchased your plane tickets three months in advance, for lacking faith, you would have spent a prohibitive amount of money buying plane tickets in the week before the family reunion is scheduled to take place when tickets prices are go for an extremely higher cost, but your faith made you do things in expectation that there was going to be a family reunion and you needed to buy these plane tickets for the trip in advance.

Note that the confidence that you have in this scenario in the fact that you will see your favorite relatives at the family reunion, so that you don't procrastinate about buying the plane tickets in advance of the trip, but, instead, you picked up your telephone and purchased the planet tickets in advance believing the reunion would take place and your favorite relatives would be among the attendees. Another example:

You and your brother-in-law (b-i-l) live about 10 miles away from one another, but you both work at the same oil refinery, and because your car is in a repair facility to have a new starter installed, since the one that is being replaced has begun to fail you after only two years of service, your b-i-l offers to drive to your home tomorrow morning and pick you up for work and to drop you off at the car repair facility after work so that you can pick up your car.

Now while you have hope that your b-i-l will pick you up so that you will have transportation to work tomorrow, even though this reality will not demonstrate itself until tomorrow morning when you believe you will behold your b-i-l's smiling face when you and your family arrive at this year's family reunion, which is an assured expectation that you will definitely get a ride to work tomorrow, even though this reality won't demonstrate itself until tomorrow morning when your b-i-l is expected to show up at your home.

Note that the confidence that you have in this scenario in the fact that you will be getting a ride to work, so that there is no need on your part to hire a rental car for tomorrow so that you can drive yourself to work, and today you did change your routine a bit so that you got up at an time earlier than you would normally get up, and got dressed for work a half-hour earlier than you typically would be getting dressed.

Again, another word for "confidence" is faith, for "faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." Without faith, you wouldn't have been ready to go and waiting for your b-i-l to arrive at your home the next morning, for lacking faith you would have incurred the expense of a rental car, but your faith made you do things in expectation that your b-i-l was coming to pick you up that morning.

Most other religions have faith that the Bible or at least the creation account has to be taken literal and some hold that scientific findings will redeem their view eventually.

Everyone will have their own viewpoints regarding creation, but in your saying this, you're saying what now?

@djeggnog wrote:

How do you know that Jehovah's Witnesses are "right" about anything? What makes you say that Jehovah's Witnesses are right if science and what the Bible says "match up"?

@Anony Mous wrote:

I didn't say they were right but their viewpoint comes the closest to REALITY and PROOF.

Whose viewpoint comes the closest to reality and proof? What does science teach as far as science is concerned that the Bible does not teach or "match up" with science? Please name one thing besides evolution, since evolution is only a theory and not provable.

@djeggnog wrote:

What is "proven" now? That the universe was alive? That the earth was alive? That living things have been on the earth for more than 12,000 years? I'm thinking now about dinosaurs which were obviously here for much longer than 12,000 years, so from where does this "12,000 years ago" number come? Are you saying that "12,000 years ago" is the view of an evolutionist, the view of a creationist, or what exactly were you saying here?

@Anony Mous wrote

12,000 years ago is the longest stretch of time from the viewpoint of most classical creationist and old-style JW's (now to Adam + 6 creation days of 1000 years).

I don't know what you mean: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe and have never taught that each of the creative days were 1,000 years in length, so why do you mention 1,000 years at all as if Jehovah's Witnesses have been believed or taught to this effect?

It is PROVEN by the laws of physics that light was existent before the first day of creation in which God 'created' light.

And your point is what? That the Bible contradicts science?

According to JW's we are living in the 7th creation day and it's nearly the end (<1,000 years away)....

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that we are living during the seventh creative day when Jehovah rested from all of His creative work, and we know that mankind has reached the 6,000 plateau back in 1975, but since we do not know when Adam's wife, Eve, was created, we cannot possibly know when the sixth creative day ended and the seventh creative day ended, and we speculate that if we did know when Eve was created, then we speculate that we would be able to calculate with accuracy when the 1,000-year Millennial Reign of Christ Jesus would begin, for we would need to know, not when 6,000 years had lapsed from Adam's creation forward, but when 6,000 years had lapsed from Eve's creation forward, assuming a 7,000-year creative day.

Even along this calculation, shit has been here longer than 7 * 7,000 years. If God created Adam at the end of the 6th day, how come the oldest homo sapiens remains are 42,000 years old?

You may have heard scientists or others claim that mankind has been in existence for as long as 42,000 years, while one would conclude from reading the Bible that this number is quite high, but one has to choose whether to believe these scientists or to believe what the Bible has to say about this, for using the Bible, one can prove that man has been in existence for a little more than 6,000 years (6,036 years to be exact!) while science cannot prove that mankind has been in existence for as long as 42,000 years.

@djeggnog

• the max
    the max

Egg me old mucker, can you please give me you views comments on a post i made yesterday re the youngest annointed ect, many thanks THE MAX

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@the max:

can you please give me you views comments on a post i made yesterday re the youngest [anointed]....

I've no interest in discussing such a topic with you. My hope is an earthly one and I have no interest whatsoever in how old someone called to a hope different than mine -- a heavenly hope -- happens to be, but you are certainly know that you are free to have this discussion with anyone else here whose interest would be piqued and assuaged by discussing this particular topic with you.

What I do find interesting though is that there are so many folks here on JWN that truly believe themselves to be free of what they were taught by Jehovah's Witnesses -- free of "Watchtower dogma" as they might put it -- free of mind control and all of that, who continue to do what things they habitually did when actively one of Jehovah's Witnesses -- not that everyone here on JWN is inactive, for some folks here are fading or have faded and would have left but for some of their family still being actively Jehovah's Witnesses -- like commenting on the things they read in the Watchtower, which means that they are still reading it, or engaging in discussions about the Memorial of Christ's death, which is a topic rather peculiar to Jehovah's Witnesses that hardly anyone in Christendom's churches discusses, or discussions about the circuit or district conventions, even those that enjoy quoting things here taken directly from the Society's publications in order to prove their points in contention, including quotes taken from the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

There is a word that comes to my mind, @the max, and if I'm being honest here, the folks here on JWN could not aptly be described as being "free" at all, but the word that comes to my mind is delusional, considering the fact that Jehovah stated quite clearly in His word, the Bible -- and He cannot lie -- that "they will all know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them." (Jeremiah 31:34; Hebrews 8:11; Titus 1:2) You do recall, don't you, what Jesus said at Matthew 5:19 about the least ones that "will be called 'least' in relation to the kingdom of the heavens,"and about whom Jesus was speaking? Jesus was referring to the same ones to whom his Father referred at Jeremiah 31:34, the ones that know Jehovah, but "do not obey the good news" themselves. (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9)

@djeggnog

• the max
    the max

Eggnog has dissapointed me, He wont debate.Wee shallow coorin timorous beastie et al, RABBIE BURNS

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

That's a typical Christian apologist answer isn't it DJ:

You may have heard scientists or others claim that mankind has been in existence for as long as 42,000 years, while one would conclude from reading the Bible that this number is quite high, but one has to choose whether to believe these scientists or to believe what the Bible has to say about this, for using the Bible, one can prove that man has been in existence for a little more than 6,000 years (6,036 years to be exact!) while science cannot prove that mankind has been in existence for as long as 42,000 years.

Science HAS proved that mankind has been in existence for AT LEAST 42,000 years and multiple remains of humans have been found (indicating more than 2) between ~10,000 years ago and ~40,000 years ago. There is no reason to choose not to believe these scientists, they can backup their claims and you could investigate them as well and come to the same results if you so wanted (which is the definition of science - being able to rigorously prove and get the same results repeatedly).

If you don't believe in nuclear decay, the speed of light, relativity and other parts of chemistry, pure physics and math (which is used to accurately calculate these numbers rather than guesstimate whether or not Adam & Eve lived for a certain time period) because your religion says you can't accept them then what can you believe in? If that would be true you can neither claim that God put in these laws of nature or is omnipotent and everything would be very chaotic in this Universe, nothing would be sure and we wouldn't be able to exist, fly to the moon or see beyond our sun and the Bible would be wrong in that way then <- the reverse of this line of logic is frequently quoted in JW literature.
  • djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Anony Mous wrote:

Even along this calculation, shit has been here longer than 7 * 7,000 years. If God created Adam at the end of the 6th day, how come the oldest homo sapiens remains are 42,000 years old?

@djeggnog wrote:

Science HAS proved that mankind has been in existence for AT LEAST 42,000 years...

No, it hasn't.

If you don't believe in nuclear decay, the speed of light, relativity and other parts of chemistry, pure physics and math (which is used to accurately calculate these numbers rather than guesstimate whether or not Adam & Eve lived for a certain time period) because your religion says you can't accept them then what can you believe in? If that would be true you can neither claim that God put in these laws of nature or is omnipotent and everything would be very chaotic in this Universe, nothing would be sure and we wouldn't be able to exist, fly to the moon or see beyond our sun and the Bible would be wrong in that way then <- the reverse of this line of logic is frequently quoted in JW literature.

Please, if you feel up to it, read what you wrote here and write exactly what it was you meant to say. I don't want to try to work out what it was you intended to say, but whatever it is you were saying here made absolutely no sense to me.

@djeggnog

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Well, those of us who are/were Witnesses know that only Jehovah's Witnesses who follow the lead of the Governing Body are following Christ. Only Jehovah's Witnesses who are loyal to God's Organization have any hope to survive the great tribulation and Armageddon. Only the Jehovah's Witness who is faithful in what is least will be faithful in what is much (Luke 16:10). The Jehovah's Witness who is confident that he is standing has the potential to fall (1 Cor 10:12). The Faithful Slave has made it clear that they do not want Jehovah's Witnesses visiting or taking part in web sites such as this, associating with the disfellowshipped, the disassociated, and apostates.

djeggnog - if you truly are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, the Governing Body has already judged you by your actions here, I don't think according to their rules you have a place in their paradise earth. Thats not to say that I judge you unworthy, but certainly, according to your disobedience to the Governing Body, you might be in trouble.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Science HAS proved that mankind has been in existence for AT LEAST 42,000 years...

No, it hasn't.

Yes it has: Here is a whole website devoted to it from a very respectable source, read through it: http://humanorigins.si.edu/ Most scientist actually accept 200,000 years with some recent findings pointing out that early Homo Sapiens were probably already around 400-500,000 years ago based on fossil evidence but if you reject those really early ones, most full skeletons and most samples that can be accurately dated and even have mitochondrial DNA are ~40,000 years old. Can you please give scientific proof of your hypothesis that this generally accepted evidence is false? Please, if you feel up to it, read what you wrote here and write exactly what it was you meant to say. I don't want to try to work out what it was you intended to say, but whatever it is you were saying here made absolutely no sense to me. First of all I implied that evidence for an older universe, an older earth and older humans is freely available if you wish to investigate this on your own, that's what science is all about, finding out proof and building upon it, it is possible to replicate the tests and come to the same results. I'll put it down really simple here for you simpleton JW's: - You believe that God made the laws of physics (such as the speed of light, nuclear decay of the elements of the periodic table, relativity, ...) - You believe that God made the earth good enough in position as regards to the sun etc. and that without those laws we would be living in a chaotic Universe where we could die any instant (this is straight from the JW playbook) - You accept that man made it to the moon and back based on those laws and many other technology (satellites, the Internet, telescopes) works only because those laws. - Thus you must accept that those laws hold true and do not deviate - Thus you must accept that if we can calculate using those laws that if a specimen is investigated or when light and other radiation has traveled a certain time and distance, it has certain properties that we can calculate the age of those specimens or when the original light and other radiation was sent out. - Those calculations show an old universe (10B years old, see Parsec on how to calculate it) an older earth (see Isochron dating) and old humans (Homo Sapiens, not even our cousins like Homo Erectus or Homo Habilis which are up to 2.5M years old, see Cro-Magnon, Mungo Man, ...). - If you reject those calculations because your religion says they are wrong - You must accept that those laws do NOT hold true and DO deviate - You must accept that we couldn't have made it to the moon and back and that it was a hoax or maybe it (and the rest of the space-faring business) is based on pure luck - You must believe that God did not make the earth in a perfect position and that it does deviate and thus we live in a chaotic Universe where we could die any instant. - You cannot believe that God instituted laws of physics and thus God must either not care about it or not exist.

• regal1
    regal1

The human genome has been explored and it provides excellent evidence that we are just animals and not the result of supernatural intervention. Embedded in our genome are the remnants of ancient viruses, which may have wiped out many homo sapiens. The survivors carry the scars of this ancient battle. We are amazing similar on a genetic level to the primates that still live on the earth with us. I find that it's easier to do an end run around JW and other religious teaching as to our origins. I was taught about 7,000 year creative days, but expanding the business to eons or whatever is, in my view, beside the point.

Back in the day, I was one of the few JW's in my area to want to talk with evolution believers. Some of the arguments I tried, with the greatest sincerity, are still being used by born-agains, etc. Science offers explanations for our origins and for the evolution of life. There is no need, really, to get into theological debates about what has happened in the natural world. Life on this planet is very old, and we are simply among the critters that live here. Bronze Age guesses about such matters are not relevant. I was once a very devout green-Bible minister, but now I realize it was all futile. Rational thinking is liberating, even if it means there is no heaven, gods, etc.

• moshe
    moshe

Man has been around since before the end of the last ice age- they painted the images of now extinct ice age mammals in France on cave walls- woolly mammoths, woolly rhinos, cave lions, etc. There was no worldwide flood of Noah, otherwise these cave paintings would have been destroyed. Oh?, the mammoths were painted after the flood? Then how did the bones of mammoths in North America with Clovis style spear points in the rib cage come to happen? No flood of Noah washed away or disturbed those bones, either.

In addition, the hope of a perfect life on a Paradise earth is a human concoction devised by WT president Judge Rutherford, (which was to start in 1925- the Millions campaign), but it is one of the main delusions which keeps JWs running on the WT treadmill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit