Eating Disorders and the JWs

by the_raisin 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Hey everybody! So I was wondering something... am I the only who realized that EDs ran rampant throughout the Witnesses? I remeber dreading the conventions and memorials because, as every young girl involved knew, we all covertly checked each other out and snarked on each other's bodies. I know I was guilty of this (trying to fit in was definitely my lowest point).

So where do EDs fit in? Well, I'm not blaming the society entirely, but it defenitely was a catalyst for my anorexia and bulimia. Seeing all those super thin sisters really did me in when I realized I was too 'buxom' to completely fit in (my 'buddies' were all insect-thin... and I hardly ever saw them take a second helping of chicken like I did while at parties and gatherings :p). I'm still dealing with it... at my lowest weight, I could hardly function(and realizing that the red goopy stuff in the bowl is blood... shudder... and sad thing is, this was when I was out of the organization. The scars and comments many people made still hurt to this day, and I still battle it out with myself.

I know of two other young women, and one male, who did in fact suffer from EDs, even if they denied denied denied. Hearing them through the thin bathroom walls was no picnic. And no, I didn't snitch on them... I didn't want to be snitched on either.

So yeah, was it just a problem related to my community, or is this something widespread? I wonder, because as we all are aware, any sense of identity is stripped away from you, so maybe weight is something that they can control?

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

You are not alone in the eating disorder department. My daughter (raised in the "truth" as we called it) too had a severe eating disorder. And she was NEVER buxom or heavy - but it took awhile for me to realize her problem and get her to professional help. I do think the "perfectionism" efforts inculcated by the cult had some contribution to the problems. It may indeed be that it is or has been more rampant amonst the WTS than other places. Just the very focus on "am I alright?" can have a negative impact. And even though she is now free and outside the organization she definitely still has problems trying to be "superwoman." She no longer suffers from the eating disorder but she suffers from trying to "overachieve" as I see it. She is raising 5 teenagers, 4 from a recent marriage who suffered severe emotional trauma from their early childhood, works full time at a demanding technology job which keeps her on call 24 hours a day, attends college full time right along with two of the children - in order to obtain that degree she was denied while being a member of the WTS, and now thinks she would like to adopt a baby or two at the age of 38! Jumpin Jehoshaphat!

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

saltyoldlady- whoa!!! Your daughter does indeed sound like a Superwoman! That's nice though, that she wants to adopt. And good, I thought I may be imagining things for a while there. But I'm glad to hear she's not a slave to this horrible disorder :)

• Adi
    Adi

Hi

I have type 2 diabetes,does that count as a Eating Disorders

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Adi- awww, you're cute!!! Maybe a disordered eating, but not eating disorder?

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

I had an eating disorder While a witness but I cant say it was the organizations fault, more my mothers and my own need to control the few things I could in my life

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I agree with freedomisntfree, I think my need to control what I ate was one of the few things I controlled in my life. That, and I lose my appetite when I'm depressed, and being a witness was depressing!!!

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

freedomisntfree and Nice_Dream:That's what I was thinking too, that maybe it is just one aspect of someone's life they can actually control. I remember also that, at least in my circuit and district meetings (conventions?), it was also a social standing effect.

As in, the thinner you are, the better you are. Thin girls glaring down at chubby ones was a common occurrence, one my 'friends' loved partaking in. Comments about the girl's clothes, how fat they are, how ugly their husband/boyfriend/friends are, how they probably are invites and aren't even baptized... yeah. Cruel. Not saying you guys did that, but that's what they did. By the way, it's a Spanish Speaking disctrict meeting, maybe it's a cultural thing?

• man in black
    man in black

eating disorders ??

I saw lots of overweight witnesses who had NO problem in the eating dept.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I suffered with an ED but it had nothing to do with my weight. I am naturally thin (body type/shape of Audrey Hepburn). I had an overwhelming desire to punish myself. By depriving myself of food i felt good... I didn't particulary see a monstrous beast when i looked in the mirror, i just wanted to hurt myself with unimmaginable pain. Which i did many times! I felt that if i punished myself enough i would finally be accepted. My thinking was completely warped, none of it made sense! I got through it 11/12 years ago and feel fabulous now! All the self hatred took alot of therapy and my body ended up turning on itself. My gut shut down and stopped absorbing nutrients, so i was slowly starving to death! Plus anything with wheat, dairy and gluten would inflame my stomach and intestines so would cause me intense pain. (My treatment has been a success! Found out today!!!!!!! Munching on pizza and wedges as i type)

I admire anyone who can battle an ED... They are devasting and take away many years!

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit