Anglo/American language...differences!

by Pams girl 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hi all hope you are enjoying the wonderful weather.....

I havent been on the forum long, a few monthes, but it makes me laugh the differences in our language.....

The two that really stand out are....

FANNY

English

A ladies name (short for Frances) or Fanny = popular Victorian name. A slang term for a ladies bits (vagina)

FANNY

American

I think its Bum? Bottom?

PISSED

English - Really drunk, I mean, cant walk drunk..............

American.....annoyed/really upset/angry........

Have you got any more?

PAULA x

• cantleave
    cantleave

Fag - Cigarette

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

English = Fag = derogatory term for a homosexual

Also, a cigarette.

Usually, the latter.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Pants - American/Canadian = trousers; English = underwear

• james_woods
    james_woods

Car terms:

Hood, bonnett - Boot, trunk -

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Spotted Dick

England- delicacy

America- STD

• carla
    carla

Fanny? as in a fanny-pack? yep, your bottom.

Pissed- as in pissed off! really angry. To be really drunk you may be stoned (though that usually applies to drugs rather than drink), wasted, toasted, tipsy, buzzed, two sheets to the wind, you may want to 'tie one on and get loaded', smashed, drunk as a skunk, etc...

Randy- in the US it is just a name but in the UK it means horny? I remember a story of a guy who went to the UK and a woman could hardly say his name without turning red! (or maybe she was randy for him?)

Bloody- all I know is Supertramp sings it and in the Uk it is a bad word(?) bloody well right!

Fag?!! oh dear better not say that anywhere near a US school! not pc! (politically correct) a term not used much for a gay person. Of course you can hardly mention a cigarette without getting the same reaction as 'fag'. Other terms not allowed in school are -gay-fag-queer-homo and probably more. My grandmother was not happy when 'gay' meant something other 'happy and light'. The grandkids all snickered when she said she 'was so gay when...' Kids also are not allowed to use the word 'gay' to mean weird or even in a joking way, 'oh that is so gay!' even though it has nothing to do with the homosexual community in their minds.

in my neck of the woods we have -Bubblers- water/drinking fountain to the rest of you

Do you drink pop or soda?

Do the men in your area have to take a whizz? (this word tends older than the younger generation)

do you have outhouses, biffy, johns, or portapotties in your parks?

Aussies have a lot fun words! what do our friends down under have to say? A friend here from Oz sent me a whole list of word but I lost it when Simon switched something around in the pm's. I lauged so hard, wish I could retrieve that letter!

• laverite
    laverite

I love a nice spotted dick with custard. Yum! Not the kind that Keyser spoke of though. Kind of off putting if you ask me.

• carla
    carla

spotted dick-hahaha, comes in a can right? hilarious! me, child & friend were in a World Market one day and I thought she would pee her pants laughing and trying not to let me see her & friends hysterics over that can! Bet they would have bought it if I wasn't there!

• laverite
    laverite

The tinned spotted dick is not very good. Even the Heinz tinned spotted dick. The fresher the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit