Top Mexican drug lord a Jehovah's Witness

by dogon 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The good thing about Wikipedia is that BS doesn't last long there. Yes, people can post whatever they want, but BS gets called out pretty quickly, too.

The page on Moreno was just updated YESTERDAY meaning that the JW angle could be brand new and hasn't been redacted yet. If it is false, it won't stay up there long.

I'm reserving judgment and trusting the Wiki community to sort out truth from falsehood. People criticize Wiki but they usually do end up being quite accurate.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Well, when you don't believe something in a wikipedia article you can always go to the references at the end of the page. Most of the time I skip the entire article and go straight to the sources.

In this case it's just two online newspaper articles and they don't provide much information. One of the articles expresses the concern of a Catholic Priest about drug lords using religions to increase their numbers and power using this case for example. But there is no more information than he was just a convert. Pretty weak article.

• designs
    designs

The poor kid probably started taking Drugs as a youth to get through the Service Meeting....

• dgp
    dgp

My understanding from the Wikipedia is that Nazario Moreno was a Catholic (which almost all Mexicans were until not too long ago), that he converted and became a witness, and that he later left the Watchtower to create a cult-like drug organization. He used a book to indoctrinate others.

This was published in a Mexican newspaper (http://www.vanguardia.com.mx/nazariomorenogonzalezeladoctrinador-606663.html): Nazario Moreno González, the indoctrinator.

El Chayo se dedicaba a motivar psicológicamente a sus huestes. La PGR encontró en un cateo lo que los fiscales llaman "la biblia" de ese grupo criminal, supuestamente escrito por él.

"Chayo" was in charge of psychologically encouraging his solders. During a search, The Office of the Prosecutor General found what prosecutors call "The Bible" of that criminal group, allegedly written by [Nazario Moreno].

So, he was not a practicing Jehovah's witness and he was not a member in good standing. The Watchtower isn't guilty of what he personally chose to do. He could have chosen to stay as a rank-and-file member, but chose violence instead, and found the death he had himself inflicted on others. No pity for the man here. La Familia usually beheads his enemies.

That said, I wouldn't want us to miss the fact that he was an indoctrinator. La Familia Michoacana is the most violent drug cartel in Mexico (which is not to say little), and Nazario Moreno's ability to indoctrinate he got from the Watchtower. So I would say that, while this releases the Watchtower of any responsibility in what the man did, it does give us a reason to try to fight cultic movements wherever they are. Not only do they cause harm, they also spawn harm.

Apparently he made his followers read John Eldredge's books (http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2010/12/11/index.php?section=politica&article=006n1pol).

• steve2
    steve2
    Nazario Moreno's ability to indoctrinate he got from the Watchtower. So I would say that, while this releases the Watchtower of any responsibility in what the man did, it does give us a reason to try to fight cultic movements wherever they are. Not only do they cause harm, they also spawn harm.

dgp that sure is an extremely long bow you are drawing with your shaky arrow. Following your line of reasoning, let's blame the Bible for the rash of violent and bloody genocides last century. Any nut who's familiar with the Old Testament will be well versed in the Jehovian order to wipe out all living humans in the promised land, including babies and old people. If you blame JWs for indoctrination, be consistent: Blame the Bible for violence and bloodshed.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "If you blame JWs for indoctrination, be consistent: Blame the Bible for violence and bloodshed. ..."

LOL!!

Okay, let's take a brief tour thru "Christian" history...

There were the executions of intellectual "heathens" as Christianity gained control of the Roman empire, the "heretics" burnings, the Crusades - which we're STILL seeing the effects of, in the Middle East, to this day, the "witch" burnings, the Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, McCarthyism, and the current spate of fanatical, fundamentalist Christians and Muslims who are roiling the political waters and generating bloodshed nowadays...

That doesn't even take into consideration all the massacres that the Israelites bragged about in the Old Testament...

All of that bloodshed is directly due to the bible's teachings and elitist monotheism...

Zid

• steve2
    steve2
    All of that bloodshed is directly due to the bible's teachings and elitist monotheism...
    Zid

Absolutely agree. I've said this on many occasions: If we hold the JWs accountable for their loveless shunning policies, to be consistent we need to hold the Bible "accountable" for its truly hate-ridden and vengeful content.

• flipper
    flipper

Doesn't surprise me in the least. If we knew about all the dirty laundry and connections within the upper reaches of the WT society - we'd be quite astounded. I'm seeing through the facade more everyday

• dgp
    dgp

Steve, I am late to reply, but I must say I don't blame the Bible (or the Quran) for violence, bloodshed and intolerance throughout the ages. I blame the bastards who do not hesitate to shed blood, be violent and be intolerant for it.

In Ibn Warraq's "Why I Am Not a Muslim" you will find the statement that monotheism is intolerant by its very nature. I would only disagree with Ibn Warraq (himself a victim of violence and intolerance, and not a victim of bloodshed only because he's in hiding) as to his choice of word. I blame MONOTHEISTS for that.

What in the world made you think I didn't?

• steve2
    steve2

dgb - point taken. I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit