Hits the nail right on the head!!!

by iamwhoiam 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

/Now I want a sequel - Learning how to enjoy being wrong, or What to do if I am wrong, or Why am I ALWAYS wrong! Or how can I make the other guy appear like he's wrong LOL

• steve2
    steve2
    Now I want a sequel - Learning how to enjoy being wrong, or What to do if I am wrong, or Why am I ALWAYS wrong! Or how can I make the other guy appear like he's wrong LOL

Good questions indeed!

If we live in a society that makes it "safe" for us to be wrong, people wouldn't cling so mindlessly to the need to be right. There'd be fewer stand-offs and more containable emotions. Sure, there'd be a price to pay: You'd have to be tolerant of uncertainty and it would be harder to "offer" unconditional reassurance that everything will work out fine (because what if you're wrong?!).

At the same time, however, we'd have a more realistic basis for our humanity and greater empathy for others. People talk about the need for certainty and finding "the truth" - as if the perceived need for "the truth" means it must be objectively out there for us to find. Trouble is, when people search for "the truth", they each find something different yet insist theirs is the truth. Major headache time for rational thinkers. Our history is strewn with the consequences of people killing and dying for their beliefs that later turn out to be wrong. People hate and kill not because they lack certainty - but because they are so absolutely certain they are right and others are wrong.

Allowing one another to be wrong is humbling and it leaves room for improvement in our lives whereas stating that one has "the truth" closes the door on open inquiry.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

Kathryn Schulz: On being wrong (18 minutes)

http://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit