Those poor Air Traffic Controlers!

by charlie brown jr. 30 Replies latest social current

• therevealer
    therevealer

Part of my point is about how difficult a job if (and yes it was union/contract related) it is. if the qualifications are so stiff how were they able to replace them.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I remember that like it was Yesterday....

Hey you can't replace us.....

I JUST DID!!!!!!!!!

Robdar I sent you a PM

Off topic.... Man Can not live with Just 10 posts!!!!!!!

I need MORE POSTS!!!!!!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

"Blame Reagan."

Believe me, B. I do blame Reagan and hope he is on a rotisserie somewhere in the netherlands of hell. I have tried to google the number of air accidents that followed his firing of 11,345 striking air traffic controllers but so far have found nothing. However, I did find this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/17/air-traffic-controllers-sleep-rules-faa_n_850182.html

Air Traffic Controllers To Get More Sleep Under New FAA Rules

JOAN LOWY 04/17/11 02:52 PM ET AP

WASHINGTON — The government said Sunday it is giving air traffic controllers an extra hour off between shifts so they don't doze off at work, a problem that stretches back decades. But officials rejected the remedy that sleep experts say would make a real difference: on-the-job napping.

"On my watch, controllers will not be paid to take naps. We're not going to allow that," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.

That's exactly the opposite of what scientists and the Federal Aviation Administration's own fatigue working group say is needed after five cases disclosed since late March of sleeping controllers. The latest one occurred just before 5 a.m. Saturday at a busy regional radar facility that handles high altitude air traffic for much of Florida, portions of the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.

Several other countries, including Germany and Japan, permit controllers to take sleeping breaks and they provide quiet rooms with cots for that purpose.

"Given the body of scientific evidence, that decision clearly demonstrates that politics remain more important than public safety," said Bill Voss, president of the Flight Safety Foundation of Alexandria, Va. "People are concerned about a political backlash if they allow controllers to have rest periods in their work shifts the same way firefighters and trauma physicians do."

It has been an open secret in the FAA dating to at least the early 1990s that controllers sometimes sleep on the job. Toughest are the midnight shifts, which usually begin about 10 p.m. and end about 6 a.m.

Scientists say it would be surprising if controllers didn't doze sometimes because they are trying to stay awake during the time of day when the body naturally craves sleep.

Studies show that 30 percent to 50 percent of night-shift workers report falling asleep at least once a week while on the job, according to Dr. Charles Czeisler, chief of sleep medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Six of eight present and former controllers interviewed by The Associated Press acknowledged they briefly fell asleep while working alone at night at least once in their careers. Most of the controllers asked not to be identified because they didn't want to jeopardize their jobs or the jobs of colleagues.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Well it take about 3-4 years to train someone to perform the job.

I think they were replaced by some military guys,supervisors. People like that. Really, they had to train alot of people from scratch to my knowledge.

But it's not like they pulled them in and BOOM they were experts.

If that were the case you,me and and every joe blow could go get a job doing it anyday of the week,lol

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

According to wikipedia...well the FAA really..... it took TEN years to get staffing levels back to were they should have been.

August 1981 Strike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Air_Traffic_Controllers_Organization_(1968)

So much for just replacing them so easily.

• therevealer
    therevealer

I think you said that is your job? So you should know, I don't.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I said I work in the industry. Aviation. I work at an airline.

I didn't say I was an controller.

I said I know a little bit about what their job entails.

Plus I said it happened when I was about 3, 4 actually. 1981.

• therevealer
    therevealer

still I think you have a better knowledge of the issue than I. It does seem that it would/could be a job that requires some skill. Sorry for misreading.

• Robdar
    Robdar

CBJ:

I read your pm and responded.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

the revealer

I have a little knowledge,but I'm sure there may be a few on here who know more than me. I've spoken to a few who are in aviation in the past.

It does take skill. Able to give instructions clearly,multitask numerous duties at one time. You have to retire at like 55 or so I think, mandatory. The job will burn you out quickly I know that much.

I apologize. I hope my response wasn't taken as harsh. Sorry about that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit