Personal Grudges and Judicial Committees: is There a Link?

by passwordprotected 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scotsman
    scotsman

I remain surprised that anyone expects a 'judicial committee' to be some ethically based court. It's a nonsense, the very premise of it. They make up the rules and if you don't play by them shit happens.

• flipper
    flipper

Yes indeed there is a connection. I had a particular elder who was after me for a number of years. He sent his fellow elder henchmen after me 3 years ago after I had stopped attending 4 years before that ! But I defeated them in an appeal of my DFing and I won. They retreated like dogs with their tails between their legs. Haven't been bothered since by them. You have to stand your ground. Take control of the situation

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

Well I'm in no doubt that there are personal "grudges", for want of a better word, on the agenda.

In the case of Ronnie Hunter's actions toward me I feel it is multi-faceted.

1. I challenged Ron Hunter's dispensation to act in whatever way he saw fit, saying and doing whatever he wished. That ultimately was a challenge to his authority and leadership status.

2. At least 4 years earlier he "shepherded" a friend of mine with another elder, lee green. During this visit he told my friend that I was a bad associate and that he should steer clear of me. Despite the fact that I wasn't under any discipline and to all intents and purposes a fully functioning member of the congregation.

This friend promptly told me of the visit and what was said, which was later confrimed to me by the other elder Lee Green. To his credit Lee spoke up at the time and said to Ron Hunter "you can't say that Ron" "you can't name names and tell publishers to avoid other persons in the congregation" .

To me this illustrates beyond any doubt that in this case he had a personal agenda , or at least a heavily predisposed will to act against me and dec 25 2008 provided that opportunity.

3. This particular Elder Ron Hunter has a son John who is a peer of mine. He had previously been in similar judicial "bother" as I had in the past and was disfellowshipped. is it possible that Ron felt That since I was only given a "public reproof" (he served on the 3 man committee 2003) he felt I had somehow "got off the hook" so to speak? I know that the deliberations in that case lasted almost an hour and the other two were friendly and had no real issue with seeing me kicked out. Ron Hunter again in my view was the protagonist pushing for my exit.

Those are some thoughts I have on this case and from what I can see this is a patttern in many cases.

Matt

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

i've just been listening to these podcasts, spent all day listening. I've read some disturbing things recently that really concern me regarding the Jehovahs Witness, at least i'm not stressed out my head with it all...

• Purple_Triangle
    Purple_Triangle

My judicial committee in 1996 included presiding overseer who was also in a leadership role of Langston University. He’d clearly audited some courses in law, as he chose to employ what, I learned years later as a student, is commonly called “the prisoner’s dilemma” to extract conflicting confessions from co-defendants. I found the whole process so confusing. How had I spent 1,000 hours a year recommending this religion to strangers? I consulted my father’s copy of elder’s guidebook. No instructions to “sweat the accused” for an hour before each judicial meeting, and a resolute prohibition of anonymous testimony of ambiguous misdeeds. After an appeal committee upheld the original decision on a thin “we cannot perceive the difference between weakness and wickedness, so err on the side of caution” ground, I met more procedural impropriety upon calls for reinstatement. Tracing my family history, I found my father had sat on a committee which had disfellowshipped the elder’s own son, knew I’d connected the dots and would never allow me to return. My mother died en route to a circuit convention in a car accident and I enjoyed shunning at her funeral, so at last had the last adhesive of faith dissolved and am content to be agnostic today. Grudge sayin’.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit