Education Issues.......Help!

by ISP 19 Replies latest jw friends

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

Thank You for your kind words Larc.

Here is the link to the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ as far as the deadlines the federal one is July 1,2002 but if you are in California it is still better to get it in by the March 2 in order to be considered for all state programs. The link gives you all the info you need plus individual state deadlines. It is a pretty easy application oh and if you change your mind and decide not to go in the Fall their is no penalty at all. Best Wishes

• Valis
    Valis

Don't forget to check out the following website for many scholarship opportunities you might be elligible for:

http://www.fastweb.com

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

It's never too late for college! Never! Your post reminded me of something I saw the other night while in a local office store. I walk in and there is this brother I had known since I was 10, still mopping floors, Now, I'm disrespecting those in the janitorial work, but I remembered when this brother got married and immediately had kids and started working for a brother that owned a janitorial bussiness. He was a very smart guy. Shit, he could have had a phD by now....

• COMF
    COMF

I started college at 37 as a single parent raising two teens and working fulltime job (evenings and weekends; they cooperated with my college class hours). I graduated summa cum laude with the "Most Outstanding Male Student" award. Since then I've doubled my income, then doubled it again, and am now experiencing a degree of financial security that I've never known before. Whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was way off base. Maybe technically it can't, but it can darn sure make unhappiness comfortable and secure.

Pell grants and scholarships paid for all my tuition and books each semester, and I generally had about a month's rent left over. I used food stamps and government assistance to the extent that I qualified for then, and now happily contribute my share to the support of those services that helped me get educated and on my feet.

COMF

• badwillie
    badwillie

I went to college at age 26-29, right after the WTS changed it's policy on higher education. I was struggling at the time, knowing I had the "smarts" for a lot of jobs, but couldn't get a foot in the door for an interview. It was difficult at times, and I'm still paying back loans. But my income probably has tripled since then.
    I was thinking of taking some more courses too..you're NEVER too old.
    If you can dream it...you can do it. Sounds corny, but it's true.
    If you knew the poverty I grew up with, you would never believe that I now own my own house, have 2 nice cars, feed 2 kids and a wife, all mostly on my income. I'm now 34 years old. So, do it! that's my 2 cents for you..

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

ISP,

I agree with the other comments here...encourage your friend to go to school. I'm a 36 year old single mom with two kids and I started community college when I was 32. Now I'm a junior at a state university...yes, it's taking me longer than it would have if I'd gone while younger but at least I'm getting there. Graduating with my two year degree was one of the highlights of my life...my kids were in the audience, clapping and grinning from ear to ear.

I agree also that going back to school as a more 'mature' student generally results in a more serious student. Adding to that, the wealth of experience and prior knowledge we have is a great asset in applying what is being learned. So far, between financial aid, scholarships, and grants, tuition and books are completely paid for and I'm amazed at my good fortune. But I would recommend as others here have, that your friend start out slowly. It takes longer but sometimes we need to get our feet wet a bit before plunging in.

Dana

• Lari
    Lari

Thank you all for the great info. I think about going back to school quite a bit but usually chicken out. I let myself believe it's to expensive or hard or whatever. Reading what you have to say is very encouraging.

I think I will take Valis advice and go slow.

Best of luck to your friend

• writerpen
    writerpen

I became inactive 2 1/2 years ago, afterwhich I started taking classes at a local university - they were free since I was employed there. I took one class and couldn't stop. Now I'm working at another university and am about to transfer the credits in order to complete my bachelors. My higher education taught me how to have an open mind, and therefore helped me to break free. It's a wonderful accomplishment - to read and learn and look at things from various viewpoints. Good luck!

• JT
    JT

lARC

I do believe that, although you might start later in life, you have learned along the way, so you do have something to add to the experience. JT, I loved your story about being complimented in a speech class as to your speaking ability. Yeh, well, guess what? That is one thing we learned along the way.

JT, I read a lot and don't forget much, and you are one of my favorite people. I am sorry that I did not get to see you in Detroit, back last summer, because of your family situation, but I sure do want to see you some day.

I AGREE the students at night are adults and PAYING OUT OF POCKET many times and can't afford to get caught up in FRAT Parties smile

yes i hope to see you as well

we will be out in mich in about 3 months and i will try my best to make sure that we hook up for at least to break bread somewhere

as Amazing said : SEE YOU AT HOOTERS"

smile

• ISP
    ISP

Thanks very much to all. I will try and get him to come on the board. I rang him tonight and his parents were round They are staunch JWs and are giving him a hard time.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit