Education Issues.......Help!

by ISP 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

I was out last night with a JW but who is not attending. He is in his early 30s, is on his second marriage but now separated. I've known him for 15 yrs or so. The second marriage seems set to fail. He gave up his education prospects when he was 16 to pioneer. He feels hopelessly let down as now education is a much more acceptable thing now than it was in the '80s...even though we are 'nearer' the end. It also cost him his first marriage. His wife wanted to pursue a career and he stopped her. They split up and divorced. He took a stand for the 'truth'. He lives alone and is on anti-depressants. I would like him to come onto the board and hope you would treat him nicely. What I am interested in is any who have been in a similar situation...and come through it all. Have you been able to re-train, gain qualifications etc? I discussed further education with him and said I did not think it was too late but would be interested to hear from any that have done this.

Best

ISP

• Valis
    Valis

I have people in my classes all the time that have lost thier jobs, gone through midlife crisis, or just want to go back to school. Encourage him by all means to return to school and at least try it. My other piece of advice would be to suggest to him that he start slow and take at least one class in something that interests him like music, art, litterature, computers, etc, while taking an academic subject. This will help him get acclimated to school and not burn himself out. Let me know if I can be of any help.

• termite 35
    termite 35

i'm starting a degree in sept, decided to finish what i started a long time ago.The director of my course was very helpful and encouraging; talked through it all with me,career options can be sorted out during the course; no need to make decisions in haste,emotional support is offered; they also have 'return to learning' courses to ease you back in to learning gently if you need to do that.If money's a problem i'm sure i read they have schemes that let you pay in instalments;or you can get it all paid for if you're off work e.g.ill.If your friend just calls his local uni/cillege they can send a prospectus; or are really helpful on the phone.I'm really lookin forward to it,can't wait for the summer to end!!!Any more specific questions i can find out...

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

ISP,

I am in the same boat and there are many more of us. I'm sure you will get many to respond positively about continuing education. I am going to start going to our community college and will be taking night classes. We'll see what happens from there. I help run our family business also so maybe I'll be able to work out a schedule that allows me to take a few daytime classes. I am about to turn 38 and I think it is never too late to go to school. I regret not going to college when I was 18 so I am looking forward to it. The hardest part is deciding what classes to take and how to pay for them. If I decide I want to get a degree I don't yet know how I will finance the credit courses I will need. But I'm not worrying about that now. I'm just going to get started. It should help with depression too since we will be active and oriented toward problem solving.

Sean

• metatron
    metatron

After I quit as an elder, I started on a two year degree.

Long hard work....

but I have to say - it was one of the happiest moments in my
    life - putting on a cap and gown, walking in the auditorium
    while "Pomp and Circumstance" was playing.

I thought "At last, I'm somebody"

I sang "America, the Beautiful" with the crowd
    while tears ran down my face.

It was wonderful

metatron

• larc
    larc

metatron,

You story brought a lump to my throat. My youngest daughter had two years of college, when she decided to move to the Virgin Islands. She came back with a baby, so I guess she lost her virginity in the Virgin Islands. She moved home and finished college, while we helped raise our grand daugther. I remember that said she didn't want to go to the graduation ceremony. I said, go, it is a once in a life time experience. I remember walking in with my wife and our grand daughter and hearing "Pomp and Circumstance." It filled me with emotion. Then, when we got our seats and my daughter saw us from her seat, I will never forget her beautiful smile. It was an inspiring day.

Thanks for bringing back that memory.

• JT
    JT

MY WIFE AND I ARE 30 we are back in college

• larc
    larc

JT, and the rest of you dasterdly people,

I was visiting a friend at the local university. It was late in the afternoon. I got on the elevator, and an older professor type person was there. I told him that I was retired, and how much I enjoyed teaching late afternoon and evening classes, because I was not a morning person. He said something in return that was very important. He said that he liked teaching evening classes with older students, because they were more serious and education meant more to them.

I do believe that, although you might start later in life, you have learned along the way, so you do have something to add to the experience. JT, I loved your story about being complimented in a speech class as to your speaking ability. Yeh, well, guess what? That is one thing we learned along the way.

JT, I read a lot and don't forget much, and you are one of my favorite people. I am sorry that I did not get to see you in Detroit, back last summer, because of your family situation, but I sure do want to see you some day.

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

I am 32 and returned to college 2 years ago. Going back to school was the best decision I ever made. I started out at a junior college and then transferred to a state university. This was a great way to save money since in California community colleges are far less expensive than universities. I got my associates degree then completed transfer requirements and am now working on my bachelors degree.

It is never to late to go back. You meet people of all ages and I am not the oldest person in any of my classes. I sometimes wish that I had finished college right after highschool but I have also noticed that being an older student has it's advantages. 1. I am much more serious about my education and appreciate it's value (especially since I am paying for it). 2. I have a clearer idea of who I am and what my goals are than when I was 18. 3. I am more self confident and find it easier to meet people than when I was younger (I have found that even the 18-20's students are easy to get along with and they have always welcomed me in their study groups ((someones got to do the studying )) 4. I have a larger knowledge base and more experience, I am not shy about answering professors questions (most of my instructors appreciate having older students and many of them returned to school as older adults themselves).

Many colleges have reentry programs to help support returning older students. Many have childcare available on campus. If your friend is in the united states he should fill out a FAFSA form (federal application for financial student aid or something like that). You can even fill it out on line. It is free and it is the first step in finding out what programs you qualify for that might make going back easier. Some examples include free grants (you don't have to pay these back) Loans (some are interest free until you graduate or quit school) and works study awards where you can work on campus or locally for non profits and earn money for school. Anyone who is interested in attending college in the USA during the Fall 2002/Spring 2003 school year should file their FAFSA before March 2, 2002 ( if you don't it is still not too late but this is the best time to file it). Well I could go on and on but I will quit now and if anybody has any specific questions post them and I will get back to you personally.

• larc
    larc

Hungry4life,

A wonderful post you made and it is a wonderful thing when people strive to make a difference in their life through education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit