Did you watch R rated movies when you were in it?

by ldrnomo 49 Replies latest jw friends

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Last night, I watched an R rated movie that featured violence. At least 30 people were shot in the first 45 min of the movie.

While I was in and an elder, I watched R rated movies all the time just didn't talk about it.

So how many of you watched R rated movies even though "mother" said not to?

What percentage of the R&F watch anything they want to despite what the GB says in there literature?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh my goodness NEVER!!!!!! Jehovah didnt like that.

I did all the Brothers???? told me!!!!!
    You were NOT a GOOD Jw......

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I once over heard a group of elders talking about a movie, one of them said, "isn't that rated R?"

To wich another elder replied, "yes its an R, but I can handle it, R rated movies dont affect me."

Then the other elders in the group agreed, that they could handle an R rated movie also without being affected.

I decided right then and there, I could handle R ratings too, without it "affecting me".

So yes, me and my ex watched R rated movies.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Nope.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yep.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Of course I did. Every chance I got. Even wore my mom down to rent them for us sometimes when my dad was at elders' meetings. I begged my parents to let me see Sybil and they watched it with me, I can't remember if that's rated R though. I wish I'd never watched that though, some of those scenes still flash in my head sometimes, disturbing. I remember watching Silence of the Lambs and the Shining with my parents too. All of us kids loved LOTR and the Hobbit, so mom took us to see every one of those at the theatre. It was when they started denouncing movies like that in talks and assemblies, I started thinking this was all bullshit and wanting out. Ridiculous, those movies were no more demonic than Disney movies, guess the cartoon format makes it more innocent. I'd say most r&f watch whatever they want, they just don't talk about it.

• pirata
    pirata

No. I remember being kind of disturbed when Elders would go up and give talks about not watching violent, immoral, spiritistic entertainment, but then socially talk about movies they saw that featured these. They'd make up for it by bashing other movies that they didn't want to see (That being said I always rationalized watching Star Trek, even thought it was occasionally denounced at the Assembly).

Looking back I understand them a bit better know. You can't say what you really feel about things as a JW. You say what you are expected to say, especially on the platform.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I avoided them like the plague, they made me blush!

-Sab

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

All the time, at home and in the theaters.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I went through spurts. My ex was an inactive for awhile and we went to any movie we wanted without even checking the ratings. Then he went all Super-Dub on me and completely cut that all out. But I used to sneak out to a movie once in awhile and see whatever the hell I wanted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit