MEMORIAL AT THE KINGDOM HALL OVERFLOWING WITH NEWCOMERS?

by steve2 23 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks for your replies. Seems there are lots of reasons to show up - just like church attendance: the person who attends to satisfy their spouse, the children who show up to keep their parents off their back and yes, keeping the JW boss happy. ynot - interested in your comments about the likable JW elder who went beyond the official outline: They're a rare breed indeed...I mean being likable and able to deliver enjoyable presentations. But the cringe factor remains...even when I was in, when I invited my Bible studies to the Memorial, I found myself apologizing ahead of time about the formulaic flavour of the Memorial.

• Babyruth
    Babyruth

What was the letter at the end about?

• yknot
    yknot
    What was the letter at the end about?

it was just an 'invite' letter telling 'interested ones' if desirous of a bible study to talk to attendants and about the Special Talk .....

• Lay D Lee
    Lay D Lee

I didn't get the numbers on how many attended, but considering the amount of time spent in field service for this month of special activity, it really was all a waste of time. For one thing at our congregation, we never recieved as many tracts as we actually needed. For whatever reason, we were shortchanged, but it really didn't matter because the chances of a visitor who is unfamiliar with JWs showing up is slim to none. The same cast and characters from every year showed up last night. That being those disfellowshipped, faders with family attachments, hanger-ons smart enough to never get baptized, the mentally ill that JWs settle on for return visits and bible studies, and obviously those that attend the congregation.

You know I went out in service both Saturday and Sunday helping some friends get their 30 hours in. The futility of this weekend, on top of all else that has gone on this month really hit home to me last night at the Memorial. All that time wasted, and I feel as we've accomplished absolutely nothing. I swear field service is the biggest waste of time. I feel like an idiot out there anymore. All of this activity, and the Memorial was the same as it was last year, the year before, and the year before.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The memorial of the WTS. is used as just another sales opportunity to lure people into a JW study arrangement.

Its true that some people attending do get put off that they are not allowed or encouraged to partake

unless you are the ones special designated as described by the WTS.

The increase in ones partaking is really upsetting the WTS. because it goes against what they have been preaching for so many years that

the numbers would decrease as the time of the end draws closer.

There are variable reasons for this happening, some of which has to do with the length of time some people have been JWS. 40, 50, 60 + years

that volume is quite high.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Lay D Lee?

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Let's see:

Size of congregation: approx. 90 publishers

Distributed: approx. 15,000 invitation

Attendance: 140

Breakdown of attendace:

Disfellowshipped: 8

Family members that come every year: 20

Bible Studies : 10

people that came from invitation work: approx 2

What a flop

I would not say that this year's memorial was a success in my area.

• DavinciCodeBreaker
    DavinciCodeBreaker

From Western Canada: Over 70 people have pioneered this month in our cong and I know the majority of them were doing their best to get all thirty hours in the "Invitation Work", easy service as they call it. I understand that well over 90% of our territory was covered and from all this effort...0 people showed up! That's right nada, zilch. A few bible studies but that was it. Our attendance was much, much lower than I have seen in years.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Maybe it is the time of the end .......for the JWS and the WTS that is

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

7. Impersonating or falsely claiming to represent a person or organisation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit