Couple of "Human Evolution" Questions (Seriously), If I May...

by AGuest 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace!

I know, I know... from Body Members: why is she going THERE, again?? And from others, "Doesn't she ever get enough?" I know, I know. BUT... I have what I believe are a couple/few valid questions, so I must ask that you indulge me, if you can.

Before I pose my questions, though, I would like to state a couple/few things:

First, I am sincere and my questions are sincere... and so I am asking for sincere responses. I am NOT trying to provoke, contend, or debate, so no matter what the responses are, I am not going to counter-respond. I just want to hear what your responses are. In that light... and since I'm starting the thread... I would like to ask the "Eddie Haskels" of the Board to refrain, if possible, from the snide, snarky, sarcastic, often one-line responses. Please, if you can... save them for another time. If you MUST respond, surprise us all and try to give an insightful, if not refreshingly intelligent response.

I would also like to ask that if you DO respond, you accommodate me and other readers and do so in as laymen terms as you can. If you get to detailed and start using math and physics and "university/science magazine" lingo and tables/equations, etc., I am going to pass over your response. Sorry, but since I don't understand that "language" I will have no choice because I won't really know what you're saying so no point in expending the time. If, though, you can break it down, I don't care if it take you three pages - I will read it.

I would also like to make a couple things as to MY beliefs crystal clear:

A. I do not reject science

B. I do believe in evolution... of plants... animals... and the human intellect... but not the human (homo sapiens) species

Now, then. Recently, a dear one posted that although he has tried to teach me logic, my stubborness has gotten in the way. While I do not dispute that I can be stubborn, I have to say that I disagree that it has gotten in the way of my learning logic. In fact, I took logic (both philosophical AND mathematical) in university... and got an "A" (94 and 98) in both. So, I GET "logic." But it is my understanding of logic (coupled with what I hear from my Lord) that makes me reject human evolution. Logic asks me to ask the following questions and, IMHO, any way you answer them seems to speak against human evolution. So, here goes:

Per certain beliefs, the "evidence" shows that humans physically evolved from lower life forms which had been physically evolving for millions of years. It seems to me that, logically, it would follow that we would be/are still physically evolving. My questions are, then:

1. Are we still physically evolving (as the "evidence", if true, would logically indicate we would be)?

a. If not, why not? What occurred (and when), logically, so that the process has ceased?

(1) If the processed ceased as to humans, why not, logically, as to animals? Or has it there, as well?

b. If so...

(1) HOW, logically, are we still evolving? (Please note, man being able to clone parts or even full humans is NOT evolution, in the sense that that word suggests natural progression based on a need to survice... because it is man-induced and thus artificial. Thus, while I agree that it is INTELLECTUAL evolution, I would ask that you explain how it is NATURAL evolution.)

(2) WHAT, logically, are we involving into? What is/could/must be "next"? (Note, while "next" could involve things like flying or being able to swim underwater without an apparatus, wouldn't the second suggest, logically, a de-volution - i.e., back to the "soup" - and wouldn't, logically, both have to involve some kind of "mating" with another species that can already fly/swim... which I don't deny could occur due to some experiment in a petrie dish but, again, logically, would require intervention by humans, thus, being "artificial" as opposed to natural?)

Finally...

2. If we are still evolving, wouldn't evolving into a species that surpasses the physical body, surpasses being limited by the physical world, its laws and confines... and the requirements and needs of the physical body... be the ultimate station? I mean, logically? Wouldn't evolving to the point where the body doesn't need to eat, sleep, pee, poop, breath air, use apparati to fly, swim, etc., to be limited to a set space... logically, be the ultimate?

And if so... isn't that what spirit beings already experience... so that being a spirit (free) being IS the ultimate "evolution" of man?

And if so... isn't that the "evolution" held out by Christ... to "change" the physical body to a spirit(ual) body?

And if so... why is it feasible, even logical, to imagine man getting man to this point, perhaps through science... but NOT through a man who has already achieved this goal... is already a spirit "man"... and thus has already experienced the ultimate? Could it perhaps be because man... has lied to man... about HOW to achieve this... and through whom... because HE doesn't know... because he refuses to entertain that it just might NOT be through "scientific" (as we understand that term) means?

Again, I am being serious and sincere. You don't have to answer every question; just what you can/would like to. Either way, I really would like your thoughts (primarily as to whether we are still evolving, if not why not, and if so, into what and what is/could be next/ultimate).

Thank you, kindly and in advance, for your time and [serious] responses. I look forward to hearing from you and, again, I won't respond so please do not pose questions to me. I just want to try and understand what logic tells you... versus what it tells me.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

These are actually good questions. The thing is, is we need to distinguish two things here: evolution and speciation. Speciation is actually when a new species comes about. Evolution simply means, by definition, genetic changes in populations over time. Speciation is a specific phenomena which is under the broader, general umbrella of the theory of evolution. Therefore, speciation always requires evolution (change), but evolution (change) does not require speciation to occur. It is a tendency, of course, but not a necessity. Speciation will only occur if environmental pressures/geographic isolaton/genetic mutations encourage it. Since humans are very intelligent and we have a greater impact on our environment than any other organism, we are incredibly adept to adjusting to and even manipulating the environoment that would dictate such change.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Yes, we are evolving in every way and it's visible. We are becoming fatter and smarter (though some of the posters on this forum are living exceptions from my postulate). This impacts our physical appearance too. I do not know what is the ultimate goal of evolution, but what you say makes sense: becoming the ultimate being on Earth (we have achieved this), the ultimate being in the galaxy, the ultimate being in the Universe. I'd like to stay away from stories about Jesus and stuff like that. They do speak about this ultimate goal, but my opinion is that the means offered by the Bible in order to attain that are bullshit. They offer death as the solution to the question. F..k the Bible! From now on, scientific progress is our main source of evolutionary mutations. And in the race for being the ultimate being, everything goes, all is allowed, even cloning! There are no morals here.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am playing this in the background and going there every now and again when he puts up a chart/picture.

I'll just post it for you to view on your own.

I am sure you would like us to state in short words the specific answers, but it's going to involve work on your part if you want an answer.

http://fora.tv/2009/03/26/Professor_Christopher_Dye_Are_Humans_Still_Evolving

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

I do not know what is the ultimate goal of evolution,

The thing about this, too, is that evolution doesn't set and acheive goals. It is simply a process of nature, no real goal or end in sight, it just is. It is simply a happening phenomenon.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I would also like to make a couple things as to MY beliefs crystal clear:

A. I do not reject science

B. I do believe in evolution... of plants... animals... and the human intellect... but not the human (homo sapiens) species

They are clear. You logically should also believe that a man can walk from his house to the other side of town but not to the other side of the country. Humans ARE animals. Your beliefs don't make since because you START OUT rejecting basic biology, but you still claim to accept science. You can't claim to accept that yeast works and then deny that's why bread rises. You say you don't reject science, but you do when it's parts you don't like while simultaneously living from the benefits of the very science you reject.

1. Are we still physically evolving (as the "evidence", if true, would logically indicate we would be)?

Yes.

(1) HOW, logically, are we still evolving?

The same way we always have.

(2) WHAT, logically, are we involving into?

I don't know. No one does. You might as well ask someone what is around the corner in a town they have never been in or heard of. They can guess, but they don't know.

2. If we are still evolving, wouldn't evolving into a species that surpasses the physical body, surpasses being limited by the physical world, its laws and confines... and the requirements and needs of the physical body... be the ultimate station? I mean, logically? Wouldn't evolving to the point where the body doesn't need to eat, sleep, pee, poop, breath air, use apparati to fly, swim, etc., to be limited to a set space... logically, be the ultimate?

Since evolution works within the confines of physics, that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

If you want some examples of evolution, read Survival of the Sickest. A good example of evolution in action...you are black and I am not.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Shelby, IMO these are excellent questions that I've asked as well. I appreciate everyone's comments also.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I must break my rule (not to respond) to say two things, only to clarify:

I understand humans are animals, dear EP (peace to you!), and should have clarified (by saying, "non-human" animals, or "beasts", etc.). Please forgive my lack of specificity. Unfortunately, I assume folks would know what I meant... but given the tendency for pendanticy (sp?) as to this subject I should have known better and been more careful. Also, I purposefully excluded "racial" evolution because, regardless of our race, we are still the same species: neither of us, black or white, is going to evolve into anything else. Also, I believe that, given time... and current and progressive trends... the human race would "evolve" to one race... made up of all races... anyway... so that there would no longer be individual, separated races. THAT, to me, would be about the only evolutionary process (other than intellectual) that I could say IS occurring. Since it is by human CHOICE, however, I am not sure how "natural" it is; again, seems to me that if man is consciously involved and can/does manipulate the outcome, it's actually artificial.

Okay, back to reading only. I think. I hope.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

P.S. I watched the entire video, Jer. Only raised the question as to what I would be expected to think had it been one of his critics, instead.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Yes we are still evolving, it is ongoing. As Pika_Chu pointed out, evolution doesn't make goals, nor does it work in the sense of foresight.

The signs of our continued evolution are all over us in vestigial features. Goose bumps are vestigial in humans, once useful for when we were covered in hair. But they serve no function anymore.

Wisdom teeth are vestigial. Back when our diets consisted more of vegetation we needed the extra molars to grind the food. Our jaws have evolved smaller, pushing out the extra molar or "wisdom teeth". Interestingly, 10% of humans are now born without wisdom teeth at all. That is evolution happening right there and now.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yes, have been and always will. A slow but ongoing process that applies to every living thing, of which we are one.

a.If not, why not? What occurred (and when), logically, so that the process has ceased?

Irrelevant since it hasn't ceased IMO. The rest is a presuppostion.

(1) If the processed ceased as to humans, why not, logically, as to animals? Or has it there, as well?

Irrelevant since it hasn't ceased IMO. The rest is a presuppostion. Your belief in evolution of animals but not humans is logically fallacious since you accept evolution of them but not us whereas evolution as it's commonly accepted applies to all living things. You differentiate that we are not subject to the same processes which is the fallacious crux of your argument.

b. If so...

(1) HOW, logically, are we still evolving? (Please note, man being able to clone parts or even full humans is NOT evolution, in the sense that that word suggests natural progression based on a need to survice... because it is man-induced and thus artificial. Thus, while I agree that it is INTELLECTUAL evolution, I would ask that you explain how it is NATURAL evolution.)

Look at the evidence i.e. fossil record from eons ago and you can see differences between what was then and what is now. The process is still in motion but is too slow to discern in our time scale. Might as well ask a mayfly what it's gonna do next year. Mountains are but waves rippling on the surface of the earth yet they look so timeless and magnificent don't they?

(2) WHAT, logically, are we involving into? What is/could/must be "next"? (Note, while "next" could involve things like flying or being able to swim underwater without an apparatus, wouldn't the second suggest, logically, a de-volution - i.e., back to the "soup" - and wouldn't, logically, both have to involve some kind of "mating" with another species that can already fly/swim... which I don't deny could occur due to some experiment in a petrie dish but, again, logically, would require intervention by humans, thus, being "artificial" as opposed to natural?)

Who knows where the wind blows? Can you tell the future? If so, what will happen to you or your children in an hour, a day, week, month, year, century, millienia, eon? The rest of your statement is superfluous speculation. What plant or animal life has "de-evolved" as a basis for your conjecture?

More speculation. You assume there is an ultimate station. What in nature do you base this on?

And if so... isn't that what spirit beings already experience... so that being a spirit (free) being IS the ultimate "evolution" of man?

Where is the evidence of spirit beings other than in one's head? More fallacious supposition

And if so... isn't that the "evolution" held out by Christ... to "change" the physical body to a spirit(ual) body?

Uhhh, ok, sure. If he/you says so.

And if so... why is it feasible, even logical, to imagine man getting man to this point, perhaps through science... but NOT through a man who has already achieved this goal... is already a spirit "man"... and thus has already experienced the ultimate? Could it perhaps be because man... has lied to man... about HOW to achieve this... and through whom... because HE doesn't know... because he refuses to entertain that it just might NOT be through "scientific" (as we understand that term) means?

You've crossed the line from logic to philosophy to faith. Your christian beliefs rear their three heads again.

Anywho, tanks for the exercise :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit