The following is a test of the JW logical response system. This is only a test.......

by Mr. Falcon 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

now, now, Berengaria, my attitude is merely proof that you're being "tested".

• Violia
  • Terry
    Terry

There is a way to test new airplanes at a proving ground. You take the prototype up in the air and take through a series

of maneuvers to see how it reacts to the controls.

At the end of the test the pilot makes his report and adjustments are made to the design before manufacture begins.

With humans, on the other hand, God has clearly marked humanity as sinners born with a blotch that leads to death. The best a human can do is recognize Christ and place faith in him as Saviour.

How are these two things alike?

There is a test for a fully functioning airplane that meets the Designer's specifications.

For humans, the test was already performed on the prototype (Adam) and no adjustments were made to the design at all before

releasing the model into mass production.

If humans continue to crash and burn the problem is not solved by further testing. The problem is with the Designer not intervening BEFORE MASS PRODUCTION BEGAN.

Consequently, the idea of an ongoing test for humans is merely blame-shifting.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Violia,

Yes I definitely remember a talk exactly like that. We've been out danged near 20 years (OMG! has it really been that long?) so when I heard it it was definitely a long time ago.

I also remember hearing (over and over) "is it a STUMBLING stone, or a STEPPING stone??"

If it was a Catholic study telling out about the experience in THEIR church, they'd tell them it was evidence Catholics didn't 'have the truth'! No such judgement on the Society!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So God is testing me? isn't there some scripture in James or something about how God doesn't test you with adverse things?

WT spin: God never tests anyone -- He just allows you to be tested.

• blondie
    blondie

(James

1:13) . . .When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

How is it to be understood though when God allowed Satan to kill all of Job's ten children after killing his livestock and servants. How could God say he had no part in it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was told that God had turned his back on all mankind. So how can he be testing us if he is completely ignoring us?

• steve2
    steve2

When I was an 18-year-old depressed and suicidal JW, an exasperated elder told me that if I really had intended to kill myself, I'd have succeeded by now. He said this in front of another elder who reprimanded him and who later took me aside and said it was an example of how Jehovah allows his people to be tested. I was always amibivalent about the second elder reprimanding the first but later excusing such a provocative comment as a "test". On that basis, you can excuse almost anything.

To me, it highlights the double standards: if worldy people act a certain way, JWs instantly condemn it but if it's one of their own, they seek to understand and explain away as a test...

• Farkel
    Farkel

Mr. Falcon,

: Has anyone here ever voiced displeasure or experienced difficulties due to clearly rude, incompetant, greedy or otherwise inappropriate behavior from fellow JWs, only to be told that you are simply being "tested"?

:Please tell me that I'm not alone in experiencing this idiotic response.

Indeed I have. I was convicted in a United States Federal Court of refusing to submit to the draft in the Vietnam era. I was sentenced to two years involuntary servitude doing community service work for 40 hours per week for no pay: for TWO years.

I did that work. This was in the early 1970's. In around 2000, I told my JW mother how I lost two very valuable years from my life and I was outraged that the WTS changed their policy about alternative military service 18 years after I did my time and they never apologized for it to me, or anyone else. My friends just two years older than me did prison time for that same crime and forever will have a felony record which amounts to a death sentence these days when one tries to find work.

Mom (the mother from hell) said to me, "Maybe 'Jehovah' was testing you." I replied, "Do you mean to imply that "Jehovah" "tested" me by letting his one true and ONLY earthly organization make an idiotic interpretation of the Bible to "test" me and then let them rescind that wrong Bible interpretation so that a younger generation would NOT have to face that same test and pay the consequences I faced and not lose two very valuable years from their own life?"

The response from the Mother-from-hell was this:

Yeah. I know that kind of thinking. It is no different from a guy who says to the judge, "Have some mercy for me for blowing my parents away with a shotgun, because I'm an orphan now!"

Farkel

• steve2
    steve2
    Yeah. I know that kind of thinking. It is no different from a guy who says to the judge, "Have some mercy for me for blowing my parents away with a shotgun, because I'm an orphan now!"

That's awful: A very scary, bullet-proof answer from one's own mother! What a shame that she couldn't just show you some normal motherly compassion and give you a hug.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit