PBS Program- Secrets of the Bible- Old Testament

by Band on the Run 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

NOVA produced a program on the history of the Bible with many archaeologists concerning what excavations in Israwl and the Middle East have revealed concerning the Bible. I've read most of the revelations before in the New York Times and other places. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society could not hold a candle to the experts interviewed. Surprisingly, excavations show that the Bible is not a bunch of made up stories. Different stages of Iraelite history presented challenges that scribes used to accomodate the Torah to what was needed on the ground. I believe they reported that four or five different groups composed the Torah over a very long time span.

It always surprises me to see contemporary excavations of these places mentioned in the Bible. Learning about the culture of the region helps me understand many things. I could never believe a literal explanation of Genesis. Adam and Eve. The largest problem for me was Abraham and Isaac. The Witnesses view the Bible as static. They never reveal details about how it was written. A bunch of automatons directed by Jehovah.

After all these years, it is still profound to me that I can use my intelligence, knowledge and insight and still believe. I used to try so hard to believe the Witness crap to please family. God never required that of me. I used to remark that to be a woman, Jehovah gave me way too much IQ. Why was I given gifts that he created if they were bad. Reading the shares here, I see the problem is not one of doctrine (altho it is a big problem) but the cult practices of the Witnesses. The worship of authority to merely worship authority. My basic temperament is so antiWitness.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi BOTR. It's great that your love for the word of God continues, in spite of your dealings in "the truth ". The Bible is the richest book on earth and is filled to capacity with more than mere stories, fables or fairy tales. Enjoy your reading.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    Surprisingly, excavations show that the Bible is not a bunch of made up stories.

Tell if this is a made up story: I walked across the desert called Glamis in California because an invisible dragon named Golash commanded me to by talking to me through a shoe being nawed upon by a caribu. I killed, raped, and stole because Golash, the one true invisible dragon commanded me to so that I could take the land of Blythe for myself and my family.

Was this story made up?

Was maybe only part of it made up?

Which part was made up and which part was true.

True: I walked across Glamis in California. I killed raped and stole so that I could take the land of Blythe for myself and my family.

Made up: Golash the one true invisible dragon. Caribu in Glamis that eat shoes.

The Bible True: Locations, cities, nations, rulers, leaders, wars, murder, rape, kidnapping, child abuse, human sacrafice, misogyny, slavery, idol worship, etc. . .

The Bible Made UP: God, demons, angels, resurrection, miracles, parting of the red sea, ark full of animals, and staffs into snakes. Much much more, but yea. It's like my story . . . an invisible person told me to do it all so it's ok :)

My point is that the true stuff in the Bible does not in any way prove the made up stuff. it only proves the true stuff.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I view it as much more complex than that. Every culture and religion has its myths. There is an element of timeless truth underneath some embellishment. Joseph Campbell launched a whole industry describing this phenomena. Recently, I reread The Epic of Gilgamesh, a very ancient hero story that predates the Bible many times. The flood stories were so similar. Yet they were also different. It is not black and white. The authors were trying to impart wisdom, not tell tall tales. The number of cultures around the world who have a dying and risen God is amazing. Some were in trade with other religions but not all.

I read Karen Armstrong's book on God. The title eludes me right now. She focuses on the Axis religions. When technology reached a certain point, five major religions emerged, preaching the same values. I'm not saying the Bible is the way the Witnesses teach. In fact, I'm saying precisely the opposite. It is a precious resource for my paritcular cultural millieu. The truths behind some of the wackier stories are real, just as the Bhagadad Gita, Confusius writing, Buddhism and HIndu have substance. They are far from stories around a campfire with smores.

C.S. Lewis address this well in The Screwtape Letters. Cultures evolve similar laws and moral virtues wherever they are located. I don't have to throw out the baby with the dirty water. Besides, I am not preaching here. I was merely sharing my opinion of the NOVA show. Since it is my opinion, its veracity cannot be measured.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    After all these years, it is still profound to me that I can use my intelligence, knowledge and insight and still believe.
    I don't have to throw out the baby with the dirty water

I understand what you are saying Band on the Run and take a similar position. I'll look for the program. It sounds interesting.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Secrets of the Bible- Old Testament

Yes saw this last night and it very interesting, one point that I found unusual was the

finding that Yahweh was worshiped along with another god called ( cant remember the name now )

but she was assumed to be his wife, a god of fertility.

Worthy to watch the program if you can find it .

Here's a link to take a peek http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/bibles-buried-secrets.html

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The entire program can be downloaded by using a torrent file

Here's a link to that file http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/90115757/The+Bible%27s+Buried+Secrets+%28NOVA+PBS?tab=summary

• whereami
    whereami

Hey BOTR...I think you might enjoy this series:http://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3#g/c/A0C3C1D163BE880A

It's about: "I explain my life as a born-again Christian, my deconversion, and my life as an atheist. In the deconversion section, I show how evidence, reason, and experiences related to prayer, morality, deconverted Christians, the Bible, and my relationship with God Himself all lead to my eventual inability to believe anymore".

He goes over the same books you are currently reading I think you'll highly enjoy it. Please let us know what you think after you've seen it.

Here's also another EXCELLENT series on the matter of which you're speaking about: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=70E757541E8576D7

I hope you enjoy it.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I've got it on my PVR and I'll be watching it this weekend, although I have a feeling I've seen it before. Nevertheless...

• LV101
    LV101

BOTR --- thanks for INFO --- great information and i'm going to try to check this out and watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit