I ended my bible study today

by still thinking 52 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thank you Lozhasleft, I have read COC, that was one of the things that made me question. Thanks for the hug. I know that what I am going through is nothing compared to people who have left or raised as JW's. But this has still left a gaping hole for me. Thanks for understanding

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If you want to study the Bible, Google Todd Ellis. He's an exjw who does Bible studies over the phone.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Ten years is a very long time to be associated and draw close to people. Its valid that you are so sad. Many of us who've left still feel the gaping hole you describe. I loved chewing over the scriptures and still do, not so easy for me now on a local level except with similar minded friends. Depending on where you are it might be different. I look forward to reading some of your views in future on here anyway.

Loz x

• White Dove
    White Dove

I don't believe the Bible to be true, but I do enjoy reading it for its stories and lessons.

I enjoy discussing it on an accademic (think first grade a la JW: sans research) level.

But I never get into those threads that include research.

I'm dumb as a stump when it comes to Biblical research.

There are many here who love to discuss the Bible more deeply.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

(((( still thinking ))))

I often use this site as a springboard for my own bible/spiritual research.

I love reading what others have researched, then I try to answer my own questions before I ask others (here) to do the research for me.

Have you tried the SEARCH function here? I use it alot. Some of the links others have found helpful are GREAT!

I prefer to not post on the debates, although I read them ALL!!

I wish you all the best in your spiritual journey!!

Palm

PS I think you're going to be fine......** smile **

• still thinking
    still thinking

Lozhasleft funny you should say that. I was chatting to wonderment on another thread a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing. I have since aquired three more versians and am about to get some more. I am already getting a lot of enjoyment out of them and the comparisons. Thanks for reminding me of that positive thing.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I agree with Loz - get different versions.

Definately get The Message Bible - very comforting.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks Palmtree....I think I'm just in a feeling sorry for myself state right now. Literally ended the study three hours ago. So a bit fresh.

Thanks for reminding me how good this site can be. Like you I have used information and discussions here to look deeper at things and have so far always learnt something new. Surprisingly, I have also come away with learning something new about myself.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Hi still thinking,

Like you, I'm a non-jw, but my bible study ladies stopped the sessions. I also asked too many questions! They are honest and pleasant people (even bought The Neck of the Giraffe to check my claims!) but I don't often see them now.

They always assert that nothing would make them doubt the wt, and I always pointed out that my questions came from facts and logic, and I had no wish to change them to anything.

It's a shame, but I don't think that anyone who puts someone's instructions ahead of their own conscience can ever be a good friend; certainly the friendship is always conditional on you being approved by the instructor!

I hope you find a like minded group or religion, and new friends.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks Retrovirus.

My study ladies were about to call it quits with me too. She even said she was glad I said it. It was an awful moment. Fortunatly I still have friends that I have had for many years. But because I have been through so many different things and phases in my life the are all very different. And none of them have any interest in discussing the bible.

Religion just disgusts me right now, I was raised Catholic and feel much the same about that religion. Don't know why I thought this would be any different.

I really have to stop being so gullable

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit