Memorial

by sspo 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• sspo
    sspo

I live in a gated mobile home park in California where no one is allowed to solicit door to door and today

i received a full page,handwritten invitation to the memorial, with the official tract printed by the watchtower.

It's a great way to get many hours of service just by staying in the comfort of your home but i'm wondering who's paying for postage,

.44cents per household...that could get pretty expensive since just in our park alone there are close to 700 homes!!!

I know for sure it's not Brooklyn.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

If you could get your auxillary time in for $0.44 an hour (assuming you wrote one letter each hour - I know I could stretch it out that much), wouldn't you pay that? I sure would. Cheaper than gas at any rate..

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Good point, it's cheaper than driving around to homes to visit people that aren't home, or if they are, they're not interested.

• SilentNoMore
    SilentNoMore

I live in a gated complex in Brisbane and have had nothing like that. Haven't seen a JW in here (I'm pretty sure there's a no solicit rule in here tho) and have never had anything through the mail either. There's 150 houses in here so it would be a good time earner for someone since it's quite a small suburb that I live in.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I remember "letter writing." I was told to write each letter thoughtfully and never just write something over and over again to the strangers. Allow the holy spirit to guide each letter. What a crock. Everyone knew they had to write slowly to "get their time in" without winding up with too many letters per hour than you could afford postage for.

Still, 20 letters in an hour would be under $9 in postage. Still high. I suppose you could get "less productive" and only knock out 10 letters an hour.

Sounds crazy still.

• life is to short
    life is to short

They do that in the hall I was in big time. They have a lot of older ones who truly cannot walk door to door so the younger ones go to the older couples house to write letters.

It costs about $45.00 to fill up a normal car much less a SUV, and when we pioneered we could burn through a tank of gas a day easy, so .44 cents a letter is really not that bad of price and I am with GOrwell write slow and put out a letter an hour or if hassled to much for being slow bump it up to two an hour but try not to exceed three and it sure beats being yelled at door to door.

LITS

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

My mom was telling me that she is doing letters to include with an invite. It is funny...she told me about it and then said she felt the letters would just be thrown away by the recipient, "but at least they are getting a witness"...what????

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A complete waste of money and time no matter what. A 44 cent stamp these days seems downright cheap when you look at the value of the dollar, but still when you stuff 270 of them in an evening, it adds up.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Like OTWO says, it is legitimized by 'letting the holy spirit guide the writing'. In this way they are emulating the New Testament writers who penned letters to the different congregations and individuals. Not that these letters are divinely inspired, mind you, but that this is a legitimate way to witness to others. That's the way it was explained to me when I pioneered. I did some letter writing back in those days, but I always believed that door-to-door work and face-to-face contact was the best way to get the message across. But then, I was one of those weird people who actually enjoyed field service and I was quite good at it to boot. I met many interesting people in the territory and had quite a few stimulating conversations. Our territory in Boulder, Colorado was unusual in many ways and that may account for my experiences.

I was talking to my Witness buddy on Wednesday evening and he told me that the thirty-hour auxiliary pioneer arrangement has received a lot of support. There is more talk that it should be made permanent and he tells me that many Witnesses he has talked to say they would take it up if the Society moves in that direction. I have a feeling this was the plan all along and that this month was a trial balloon to see how the rank-and-file would react to it. With world gasoline prices skyrocketing (nearly $4/gallon in the U.S. and almost $10/gallon in the U.K.), I would think the economic hit that pioneers are taking is severe. Adjusting the hours requirement for auxiliary pioneers, and later possibly for regular pioneers, would keep many in the ranks.

Quendi

• sinis
    sinis

Quendi, wait until we hit record fuel prices this summer AND RECORD FOOD prices!!!! People will barely be able to afford to survive, if even that. JW's will be hurting. I think this is a temporary fuzzy warm feeling moment that will soon pass...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit