Church is in session: NHL Playoffs

by unshackled 94 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

NHL Playoffs start tonight. Get your beer chilled and the wings in the oven. The next two months or so is my church - the grueling battle for the Stanley Cup. So hockey fans...who ya got winning Lord Stanley's mug?

Been a Pittsburgh fan since the 80s, but without Crosby and Malkin I don't like their chances. So my choices...

Winner from the west: Vancouver Canucks

Winner from the east: Boston Bruins

Stanley Cup winner: Vancouver Canucks

• undercover
    undercover

I never count the Red Wings out though Vancouver probably will represent the WC...

But I see Philly in the EC finals

And I agree: the NHL playoffs is the greatest of all sporting spectacles in North America.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

You should know that whatifsports.com has simulated the Cup, and Boston comes out over Vancouver in the end. But I still agree with you, Vancouver FTW!

• unshackled
    unshackled

You should know that whatifsports.com has simulated the Cup, and Boston comes out over Vancouver in the end.

Interesting site...haven't seen it before. Bruins over Canucks in 7 games? Certainly possible...Tim Thomas is a helluva goalie.

I never count the Red Wings out though Vancouver probably will represent the WC...
    But I see Philly in the EC finals

Nope...the Wings are always a scary team. Goaltending is a big question mark though. Could easily see Philly getting there...but I think they're going to need a healthy Pronger to do that. They're just not the same without him.

Vancouver are the favorites. This is their chance. They can exorcise their demons by beating the Blackhawks 1st round. Big test...anyone see the Hawks upsetting the Canucks?

• I quit!
    I quit!

I live in the LA area and have been a Kings fan for a long time so I have to go with the Kings. I'm also Ducks fan. They have a great starting line very good goalies but both goalies have some pretty serious health issues going into the playoffs so we'll have to see how that goes. I've always loved the Habs so it will be very easy for me to cheer for them if they wind up in the finals.

I agree with the comments about Detroit. It is painful but I have to admit that I've seen them come back many times ruin someones fun.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Does anyone remember in the 1993 when the Kings were playing Toronto and were down by 3 games and a columnist in Toronto said Getzky was skating like he had a piano tied to his back? Gretzky answered back by playing up to his potential and the Kings won the series.

The next round had the famous Patrick Roy wink. The Kings were coming on strong. At one point Roy made a huge save, he made eye contact with his opponent and winked at him. I remember thinking at the time this may be the turning point of the series. Roy was just so confident.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Hey I quit...I'd like your Kings chances better if Kopitar wasn't out. Huge loss. But this team has time...their young and only getting better. Doughty is a beast!

I have vivid memories of the Kings' 1993 Cup run. That game where Gretz busted out against the Leafs was a great performance. Remember the goal he scored circling behind the net and bounced the puck off the defensemen into the net? I'm certain that was fully intentional.

The Roy wink was cool. THough I'd say the turning point of that Cup Finals was the Game 2 illegal stick penalty to Marty McSorley. Kings were on the verge of going 2-0 in the series. But the Habs scored on the late power play and then in OT for the win.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Unshackled

Remember the goal he scored circling behind the net and bounced the puck off the defensemen into the net? I'm certain that was fully intentional

I'm sure it was also. I remember him do crazy stuff like passing the the puck through an opponents legs and picking it up on the other side.

I think you are right about Marty's stick. That was the turning point. What surprised me with that was that he was even was allowed to have that stick out there. The Kings should have been aware of what could happen. A team knowing that a player on the opposing team is using an illegal stick and not bringing it up till you need the call isn't a new issue. If they had read Dave "The Hammer" Schultz's autobiograph they would have been aware of this. I read his book several years before the 93 playoffs and in it he mention his coach in Philly doing doing the exact same thing Pat Burn's(RIP) did.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Im a Wings fan, but dont feel good about their chances this year. My pick is San Jose VS Washington. I hope I am wrong.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

The Canucks and Blackhawks matchup is all mental. I'm not completely discounting Chicago, but I think the Canucks have it together this year. If Chicago hadn't bounced them the past 2 years and counting, the series would be over in 4-5 games tops. But, seeing as how the Blackhawks are probably in the 'Nucks head, the series might go 6 or even 7..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit