Meeting was totally soulless, joyless

by yadda yadda 2 20 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I went to a Sunday meeting recently (for family reasons). It was the first meeting I'd attended in a few years. I couldn't help but notice how utterly soulless it was. The whole thing was so dry and lacking in any real joy or heartfelt feeling. There were a few small jokes but otherwise it was totally bereft of any joy or happiness, almost totally prosaic and cerebral. Especially the singing....it was, literally, sad and almost forlorn.

JW meetings are of course nothing like most modern church services, with their animated, passionate speakers and emphasis on stirring music, and most meetings were more or less quite dull, juiceless, bookish experience in my 35 years as a born-in JW, but I don't know if it was my imagination or it was this particular congregation or speakers or what but I swear I never experiened a meeting as dull, soulless and dry as this. Perhaps the effect was magnified in my mind because of my long-term absence and cynicism of the organisation, I don't know.

I left feeling pity for my former friends there, still devotedly attending this prosaic, dry, gathering, bereft of any passion or spark. It was like a boring business meeting at its worst. I especially felt sorry for the little children who must endure this twice a week. It was truly a rather sad experience and feeling and has put me off attending again. I hate to imagine what any interested ones would have thought if that was their first meeting.

Anyone else experienced this recently?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Seems like it hasn't changed a bit.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JW meetings are of courrse nothing like most modern church services, with their animated, passionate speakers and emphasis on stirring music, and most meetings were more or less quite dull, juiceless affairs in my 35 years as a JW, but I don't know if it was my imagination or it was this particular congregation or speakers, but I swear I never experiened a meeting as dull, soulless and dry as this.

Most of those with any talent have dropped out, at least as far as serving in any position of leadership. It's just too demanding and discouraging. If they are still "in" for sake of family or friends, they're just sitting in the background (or literally, back row).

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

My daughter attended last week on Sunday also for family reasons. She expressed how totally depressing it was plus she can't handle the lighting in there, they give her severe headaches. I told her "you don't have to go there you know." The things you do to try and please grandma.

• sir82
    sir82

Yep.

Between utterly boring material, and elders who either don't understand the material, or can't be bothered to put any life into it, meetings are just a long, slow, grind.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A lot of good people have woken up and left. Now there are the 'Jonny Watchtower' pseudo intellectuals unable to play to any strengths as they don't have any.

The meetings are NOT worship! They are sales seminars lead by dolts!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Yadda and other fellow posters:

I went to a Sunday meeting recently (for family reasons). It was the first meeting I'd attended in a few years. [so hard keeping my own counsel, though]

Most of those with any talent have dropped out, at least as far as serving in any position of leadership. It's just too demanding and discouraging. If they are still "in" for sake of family or friends, they're just sitting in the background (or literally, back row). [me, too]

My daughter attended last week on Sunday also for family reasons. She expressed how totally depressing it was plus she can't handle the lighting in there, they give her severe headaches. I told her "you don't have to go there you know." The things you do to try and please grandma. [or to see any family members, including the little ones]

I relate to and agree with the above as a JW-lifer-drop-out recently returned to the KH. Many local congregations are tiny and stagnating. Not ours, though the brothers are not reaching out, I'm informed. It is difficult to get across to the younger ones how the spirit of the "Truth" was so infectious and joyous in the old days [this despite our now knowing the real truth], but how disillusionment has set in. Of course, in an effort to be honest and realistic, one in our circumstance has to be very diplomatic not to appear negative or apostate. Yet, there are those still in who see the problems all of you have alluded to.

Thanks for posting this.

CoCo

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I think that's the problem with uniformity falsely labeled as worldwide unity. They've regimented faith and turned worship into robotic functions lacking genuine oomph. Simply put, meetings are repetitious get togethers going through the motions. It's like being in prison and the guards open your cell and gruffly say to you, "You know the routine Misery." Institutionalized faith.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I used to love the meetings - I really looked forward to them. Very gradually from the mid 90s onwards I'd say but even more so from 2003/4 > they became so very dull and lifeless. As more focus moved onto the literature and away from scriptures it became just sooo tedious.

Loz x

• Highlander
    Highlander

Institutionalized faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit