Where Did You Think You Stood?

by Ding 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

Consider a scale from 0 to 100.

0 = If Armageddon comes tonight, I am doomed for sure

100 = If Armageddon comes tonight, I will survive into the new system for sure

Back when you believed the WT was the truth, what range on this scale reflects your own assessment of where you stood with Jehovah?

What caused your evaluation to fluctuate?

If your evaluation went down from time to time because of feelings of guilt, what would cause it to rise again?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Definitely was going to make through Armageddon, with confidence.

I was a good boy in the family and was also perceived as one at the Kingdom Hall.

The truth of the matter is after realizing and became aware of the corruption of the WTS. ( Publishing Corporation )

I felt I wasn't going to make it through if I stayed with this organization and continued supporting it.

The Awakening had begun

• cult classic
    cult classic

But I was sure not because I thought I measured up. I just felt that Jehovah would be able to read my heart (and billions of others) and see that I really wanted righteousness to dominate the world. What a joke!

• wasblind
    wasblind

" If your evaluation went down from time to time because of feelings of guilt, what would cause it to rise again?"

I didn't rate very high in all the time I was involved because I was not baptised,

but goin' out in field service made me think I was on the right track to salvation

regaurdless of what was stated in the Bible about salvation could not be earned

by my own works. They had me convince enough to think that goin' d2d was my chance

at salvation, that I was earnin' it and that eased my guilt.

• fade_away
    fade_away

Long answer: I was the son of an elders and I had many "privileges" (more like burdens) in the congo like literature dept, sound system (congregation DJ) and microphone. I always turned in very few hours of service and I secretly hated service! It was my least favorite part of being a JW. Every time the brother would find me at the meetings and give me that little piece of paper with an assigment for a 5 minute talk, I would die a little inside. I couldn't stand speaking in public, or to strangers on their doors. I especially hated the monologues and demonstrations I had to do.

I became a nervous wreck every time and my literature would shake in my hands when I presented them on the platform and on the door steps. I absolutely despised the amount of responsibilities I had and I didn't feel a love for Jehovah to fuel me on. It was peer pressure that moved me forward. Jehovah couldn't feel real to me cause of my anxiety.

Short answer: 40-50

• Ding
    Ding

Wasblind,

Even though you knew the Bible says salvation couldn't be earned, you tried to earn it.

And works = d2d hours

I think a lot of JWs can identify with that.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yes Ding,

and I keep kickin' myself , for it, I keep asking myself

why did I think I could earn what was givin' to me freely

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Depends on what part of the bible we're covering during the weekly reading. When we're talking about David or Jonah, I'd say I'm in the latter 80's percentile. When we're focusing on Jesus and His parabels, I'd say on I'm swinging toward the latter 90's percentile. When we focus on Paul's epistles, I'd say I'm swinging on the 30s to 40s percentile. When I read WT literature, especially the literature designated for the congregation meetings, and not the general public, I'd say i'm pretty much toast.

Misery of the soon to be roasted forever class.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Strangely, while a JW, I never gave much thought to Armageddon.

I just wanted to tell everybody about the good news that the Earth would soon become a paradise.

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Misery of the soon to be roasted forever class "

You are a mess

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit