How can I convince my parents to vote?

by Sharpie 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

Hey, first off I didn't know where to post either here or in the poltics section?

But anyways, for the Canadians on this board you all know there is the federal ellection in one month. Now I do remember there are a number of articals that say, or rather don't say its not allowed to vote. I was wondering how can I show that it is okay to vote using the bible and or WT publication.

Thx in advance!

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

You don't. Unless you can convince them that their religion is false or that the Bible is fiction.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

why would you?

• designs
    designs

See if they want a Kingdom Hall built and it requires a majority vote in the community....

• jam
    jam

Does anyone know, what were the rights for the Jews in Jesus day.

The reason I ask , if they had no rights, as in politics, then it would

be no reason for the Bible speak against it. I am sure the outcome

would have been A little different if the jews had the same rights as the

Romans.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Just the other day while I was going over some info my o-so-fascinating talk, i stumbled across this from a watchtower about voting...."There are clear principles set out in the Bible that enable servants of God to take a proper view of this matter. However, there appears to be no principle against the practice of voting itself. For example, there is no reason why a board of directors should not take a vote in order to arrive at decisions affecting their corporation. Congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses often make decisions about meeting times and the use of congregation funds by voting with a show of hands.
    What, though, of voting in political elections? Of course, in some democratic lands, as many as 50 percent of the population do not turn out to vote on election day. As for Jehovah’s Witnesses, they do not interfere with the right of others to vote; neither do they in any way campaign against political elections. They respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7) As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah’s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) In making this personal decision, the Witnesses consider a number of factors.

Source: w99 11/1 pg 28-29 Questions From Readers

So it's not completely forbade based on that...though it may say otherwise in other hypocritical literature.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

am certain you could be disfellowshipped in my day. Maybe they are retreating a bit for local halls to have more discretion. Law suits could be a reason. Some Witness teachings are mandatory. Others are not. There is no guidance to know which way a particular rule will fall. I remember pulling the lever on my first ballot when I was eighteen. I was very aware it was forbidden. It felt great. I campaigned for Gene McCarthy who lost the nomination. It gave me an opportunity to meet college boys.

• lil princess
    lil princess

agree with jhoffer, why would you?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'll offer a third "why?".

If they want to vote, let them. If they don't want to, they can't be forced to. They are adults afterall.

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

@Broken Promises brainwashed adults in a cult, are totally different then normal adults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit