Will the WTS ever give up on Armageddon?

by factfinder 34 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

Jesus died some 2,000 years ago. How much longer will people wait for him to return?

Will the WTS still preach the nearness of Armageddon 100 years from now? 200 years?

In 1,000 years will anyone still believe in it?

Will the WTS eventually scrap the whole last days/Armageddon scenario?

• I quit!
    I quit!

Christianity has the ability to adapt and change so don't expect to see it go away any time soon. As for the Watchtower they're to stupid to change. They're still worried about the same issues they were 40 years ago like men having beards and women wearing slacks at the meetings. They were founded on the false belief that Christ came back and chose them. Take that away and they have nothing left. They have backed themselves into a corner and have no choice but to keep beating the dead horse. The Watchtower is run by a bunch self-deluded blowhards who think they have all the answers and everyone should take orders from them yet no one give a rats ass about what they have to say. Armageddon is their "I told you so" moment. It's what they live for.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

nope

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Might as well call it Jehovageddon.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I would hope that within 100, 200, 1000 years, mankind will have stopped believing in genies and imaginary friends entirely. Religion, for the most part, is an affliction. Mankind will be much better off when they give up on these ancient books of fairy tales that compel them to hate each other and turn against scientific progress.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Why would/should they give up on it?

It's their biggest motivator for the masses. Fear tactics are religions main weapons.

That would be like all the other religions giving up on telling people about a burning hell or that God will destroy them unless they do what they teach in order to be "saved".

• life is to short
  • free2beme
    free2beme

For the most part, the end of the world in most religions is the best selling point. So basically, no.

• Scully
    Scully

No, just like the Catholic Church will never give up on hellfire. It's one of the things (that includes DFing and the shunning that goes with it) that helps the WTS keep JWs in line.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

People today believe that Jesus is the son of God who will return shortly - it has been 2,000 years since that was written!!!

So why wouldn't future generations still believe in armageddon? If this 'Doomsday Cult' is still around, I believe they will milk it for all they can, it's working well for them at the moment.

Let's hope mankind wakes up from this nightmare called religion...

3Mozzies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit