June 15, 2011 WT... Are they really getting that desperate?

by Alfred 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

So I was just browsing the June 15, 2011 (study edition) Watchtower and came across this seemingly desperate article in the last two pages (29 & 30):

A Christian has a Scriptural obligation to care for his family, and that includes providing for their material needs. (1 Tim. 5:8) Still, does this really require a college or a university degree ?

It would be good to consider what effect pursuing higher education could have on one’s relationship with Jehovah. Let us illustrate this by considering a Scriptural example.

Baruch was the secretary to the prophet Jeremiah. At one point, rather than focusing on the privileges he had in serving Jehovah, Baruch became ambitious. Jehovah noticed this and through Jeremiah warned him: “You keep seeking great things for yourself. Do not keep on seeking.”—Jer. 45:5.

What were the “great things” that Baruch kept seeking? He may have been tempted to make a name for himself in the Jewish system of things. Or the great things could have been material prosperity . In any case, he had lost sight of the more important things, those having spiritual value. (Phil.1:10) Yet, Baruch obviously listened to Jehovah’s warning through Jeremiah and thus gained his soul as a spoil.—Jer. 43:6.

What can we draw from this account? The counsel Baruch received indicates that something was amiss. He was seeking great things for himself. If you have a means of supporting yourself, do you really need to spend time, money, and effort on further education just to realize personal aspirations or those of your parents or other relatives?

Consider Grzegorz, a computer programmer . Persuaded by his colleagues, he took up an intensive course of additional specialized training . Soon he had no time left for spiritual pursuits. He recalls: “I constantly felt on edge. My conscience troubled me because I could not reach the spiritual goals I had set for myself.”

A couple of things that really need to be pointed out here… First, the Biblical account of Baruch is (not surprisingly) taken way out of context. If the entire passage is read in its full context, it’s quite clear that God was merely reminding Baruch to stay focused on the task at hand since Jerusalem was about to be destroyed. At least, that’s the way I read it. But the Watchtower writer here is really reaching when he presents the possibility of Baruch looking to “make a name for himself”. Second, Baruch’s example has absolutely nothing to do with teenagers seeking to gain some skills in order to prepare themselves for the tough world they live in.

But this last example (Grzegorz’ specialized training) is an area where the Watchtower has only treaded on rare occasions… So not only are young JWs discouraged from seeking a college degree, they are also being discouraged from seeking “specialized training” as well.

Also, it’s interesting that this June 15, 2011 Watchtower starts off by pushing JW children to get baptized (pages 3-5) and ends by suggesting that they avoid college AND specialized training… Is the Watchtower really getting that desperate? What say you?

• sir82
    sir82

Yes, undoubtedly every last one of the 10's of thousands of people who pursue degrees in education, nursing, social work, etc. are strictly in it for the money and the adulation. They are all selfish greedy materialistic egotistical @$$holes who deserve an extra dozen flaming fireballs aimed at their heads during Armageddon.

Sigh.

Yes, I think you are right. They are that desperate.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

If the entire passage is read in its full context, it’s quite clear that God was merely reminding Baruch to stay focused on the task at hand since Jerusalem was about to be destroyed.

It's the same thing for a witness though, isn't it? What's the point of getting an education to get a good job if this system isn't going to last much longer? Oh but wait, the overlapping generation. Maybe it would be a good idea to plan for the future, lol!

Someone on another post about this article pointed out that in order for that guy to even be a programmer, he had to go to college.That's not something you teach yourself. Guess the org is hoping JWs don't know that. An education can be really dangerous for a JW, you start noticing all the logical fallacies in articles and the holes in your beliefs. They are that desperate. It's amazing to me all the things they can't do and yet they benefit from everyone else who does it, doctors and nurses, scientists and technology, soldiers and government. They're parasitic.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My sister is a family doctor. My (JW) hubby often points out that her skillset will be useless in the paradise to come. Way to demean a profession, and one dedicated to reverence and respect for life, too!

If the paradise to come is all that matters, then JW kids should be registering at the Agricultural colleges right quick. Unless food is going to be divinely provided as well.

• designs
    designs

Mind Crushing 101

• Poztate
    Poztate
    If the paradise to come is all that matters, then JW kids should be registering at the Agricultural colleges right quick. Unless food is going to be divinely provided as well.

No need for that... As we well know in the "new system"™ there will be no more pests or diseases of trees or plants.

Fertilize... God will pee down the perfect fertilizer from heaven. I am sure the 144,000™ will help him with the effort.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

You can be a computer programmer without going to college, if you learn from a young age you should do fine. You can't remain a computer programmer without continued 'specialized' training - the field of computer programming is continuously changing and you either stick to what you know and if ever the environment changes (you lose your job, the company wants something new and shiny) you are forced out of the field and into a Mickey D's and catching up is going to be really hard.

I think that's the case with most jobs except maybe for janitorial duties (although these days computer and simple robot programming experience are increasingly required in those fields as well). If you're a teacher you have to get recertified and learn new stuff every so often, if you're a scientist you have to learn about the new things almost every day, if you're a truck driver you may have to put in certain schooling and exams to get or maintain your licenses for hazardous or oversized loads.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yeah, this is more of their bullcrap anti-education propoganda.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

As always, the Watchtower plays "Ouija Bible" and just cracks it open to the first example they can think of that supports their case...when taken out of context. Here, they are ascribing bad and selfish motive to Baruch with ZERO evidence that this was the case. The words "may have been" and "could have been" scream "We don't really know, we're totally speculating here, but shut up cause it sounds good and supports our case!". In short, it's another desperate ploy to keep people stupid and numb-skulled.

• satinka
    satinka

So, what exactly has "spiritual value"? and in what order of priority?

• Field service?
    • Bible reading?
    • Cleaning toilets?
    • Shunning?
    • Destroying families?

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit