Out of State Employment

by Cthulhu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

I live in Michigan and am currently looking to leave the area, as it is no longer the land of plenty that it once was. I intend to move out of state, but I have this problem. I don't have the funds to simply move and then find work when it comes to me, so it is important that I find work BEFORE I actually relocate. I have never sought employment out of state and have no clue as to how one should go about doing so. I am looking for suggestions and will greatly appreciate these.

Thanks in advance!

• moshe
    moshe

it depends on you skillset, but some jobs do pay relocation- do a monster.com search and type in relocation- good luck. The problem comes in the interview as most are in person interviews at some point, so there would need to be funds available to go to the interview and that could be expensive depending on the distance. Having a relationship with a franchised local Temp agency may get you a job in a another state through the same franchise agency as they can easily verify you with your home agency. Get a job at Target or Walmart, etc- then after six months you should be able top transfer to a store in another state/city that appeals to you - at least you will have some income and can use that to pay for a room at a extended stay hotel while you look for a better job-

Be very careful of job listings on craigslist as I think a large % of them are bogus, just looking for resumes to steal identities. Always ask for a business email from craigslist advertisers before you apply for a job or send a resume- Yahoo or Gmail doesn't cut it for an HR department does it? Then research the company to make sure they are really in business- run the name through their state's corporation business and busines tax websites. I have found many a slick website that has no business listed with state government and when I ask them about it- the emails go dead real fast- protect yourself!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have interviewed over the phone for out of province candidates. It can be done.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

The college I work with will interview candidates from all over. Sometimes, if you get past the phone interview, you are flown down at the expense of the school for an in-person interview. There are still private industry companies that do this too...as someone else said: Depending on your sill set.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Can you visit the state for a week and set up interviews during that time? Thats what I did when I relocated from NY to Boston 19 years ago. Is the state close enough for you to drive to or is it across the country? Also what job sector are you looking in? Boston is great for Medical jobs, thats what I have and jobs in education, especially charter schools, thats what hubby has.

I like the idea of phone interviews but most companies will not hire you just based on that. You will have to meet in person sometime. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is changing, even for professionals. I am a lawyer. The large firms in major cities spend a fortune recruiting students. I stayed in NY. My classmates visited friends all over the place and charged it a local firm. The idea that a law student would ever pay to travel to an interview was unthinkable, even grotesque. You were wined and dined. The financial crisis changed this. Now, you pay your way. Wining and dining still takes place but it is minimal compared to the grandiose former manner. Law students made today's equivalent of $250,000. out of school. No more. There are no positions open at the large firms. The better ones still want quality lawyers. This deal was worked out. Students can choose a public interest law firm of their choice. The firm will subsidize it at one third the salary they would earn if positions were open. There is no promise a position will ever open.

This is a radically different world. I share your concern. Right now I am in PA, which I hate. My goal is Manhattan or DC, for federal jobs. Theoretically, I could commute from PA to NY. Other lawyers are doing so on a regular basis. NY pays more and PA is much more affordable for housing. I believe if I did this commute for more than two weeks, I'd have a break down. Washington, DC is the hard one. I pray to get a job with the Justice Department. I worked for the US Senate years ago and have some feel for neighborhoods. I know Manhattan so well it is ridiculous. Walking around blind would be feasible.

The problem with housing in great cities is that everyone else is also interested. The best housing is done by word of mouth. It takes a lot of networking. I'd visit coffeehouses, universities, certain types of restaurants, book stores. I expect to travel back and forth. The federal government does not pay for this. One time NY firms arranged housing for students with partners. A long time ago. There are brokers and some buildings have walk in leasing. I shocked myself when I found a very eloquent, award winning apt in NY this way. If a place is hot, I wonder why the apt is being advertised.

On the other hand, I live outside Philadelphia. My sister lives in town. She picked up an apartment book from the local grocery store. I called the leasing agents for the apartments I felt were feasible. Only one place returned an out of town call. I moved in a while ago. The place is pleasant. No atmosphere but I need NY or Paris or London atmosphere.

If you hear of any ways, please post so that I may use the knowledge, too. I find it scary but also a bit of adventure.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Search jobs by city or ZIP code: http://www.simplyhired.com/ http://www.indeed.com/ http://www.careerbuilder.com/

Tons of info and helpful discussion forums for relocators: http://www.city-data.com/ http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Good luck,

~Sue

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I hope you find work, and a great place to relocate!

• AnneB
    AnneB

Recruiters often look at your area code. If you're out of the area they really aren't interested since fewer companies are paying to fly people to interviews or coughing up relocation expenses. Now, if you have some fantastic skill or experience the story is different, but if you're applying for a job that has the potential for loads of applicants in the local area, forget it.

If you're really determined....leave your address off your resume. Get a Google Voice telephone number (free) with the area code of the place you want to move. Use email and phone only (most don't write to your postal address anyhow). Spend some time Google mapping, learn about the place you applied to and where it is in relation to everything else in the area. If you have a friend (even an online friend that you half way trust) in the area you might be able to get around the address part by hinting that you're staying with friends until you get a permanent job (to cut costs...everyone understands that!).

Michigan isn't the only place going through hard times, it's all over the country. Why move? Do you have any idea what it's like to have to learn a job at the same time you're trying to figure out where to live, how to get from Point A to Point B and how long it takes? Or where to get your car worked on, what stores have the best prices, where to eat, clean your clothes, buy new ones to suit the weather and the styles, etc.? Can you cope with the lonliness or will you be calling "home" all the time just to have someone to talk to who actually knows who you are?

Start small. Try to get on with a consulting company, if there is such a thing in your line of work. Let them send you out for a while. That way you'll be getting paid to check out new locations. You'll be making connections as well.

Try going back to school, either to upgrade your current skills or to learn new ones. No matter what your age you'll be able to make some networking connections among the faculty and students. Maybe you can land a better job where you are.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I live in WV and work in VA... but what do you do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit