Does violence solve anything?

by d 23 Replies latest jw friends

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I don't believe violence is ever the best way to resolve conflict, however, I am all for giving a bully a reality check if he/she thinks he/she can just push, hit, and kick his/her way into dominating another human being.

• lesabre
    lesabre

i am fully prepared to put a bullet into the face of anyone who breaks into my house and tries to hurt me or anyone in my house. in that case, violence DOES solve a problem..... but for little things.... no.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

To repeat Satanus' point: violence is only worth it IF it's used as a last resort.

If it's used as a first resort, it cheapens the value of human life...

V665V665

• d
    d

But wha about violence in use of self defense? and the need to protect oneself by any means necessary.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

yes some people just need to die

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

99% of what happens in the animal kingdom (including humans) is just bluff. If you put on your 'serious face' most of the time you can avoid trouble. For the other 1%, take a shovel and bury them. You don't ever want them coming back.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

If I could have a gun in Mexico I would feel ALOT safer...

• JeffT
    JeffT

One of the characters in Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers is an ex-military teacher. When one of the students says that she believes violence never solves anything, his response is to say that she should go tell that to a Carthagenian if she can find one. Violence certainly settles the problem between Rome and Carthage. Eventually it also settle all of Rome's problems.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I believe it does sometimes. As the other posters have said, in defense of self or others. The law states that self defence is legal if the one defending himself uses reasonable force according to what the assailant is using and how dangerous the situation is.

My ex (a true sociopath) died under mysterious circumstances. He had crossed some dangerous people. When he died, many of my problems were solved. So yes, anothers violence solved some problems.

• TD
    TD

Of course violence can solve some problems

""All the time I was locked in the trunk, I could hear him yelling from the driver's seat about what he was going to do to me."

Kate Petit's car sputtered to a stop on the interstate highway between Lake Kissemmee and Tampa....The car that stopped was not a highway patrol car... After being polite and sympathetic, the man took a knife from the inside pocket of his suit coat and pressed it sharply into Kate's ribs, telling her that if she didn't cooperate, he would push the knife into her heart.

Kate was ordered into the trunk of the man's car. She had no choice. She got in the trunk. The man drove with Kate in the trunk for what Kate guessed to be a half-hour. The last few minutes were on an unpaved road; then the car stopped and the engine was turned off. During the entire time, the man yelled back obscenities to Kate in the trunk. She wouldn't respond when he demanded to know if she could hear him, so he yelled louder and got more obscene. When the car stopped, Kate recalls vividly the sound of the key in the trunk lock...

Kate doesn't remember when the man stopped yelling at her in the trunk; and doesn't remember what he said as he opened the trunk. All she remembers is the flood of day-light momentarily blinding her when the trunk lid popped open and an almost slow-motion sight of the bullet holes being made in the mans' chest by the .38 caliber revolver she took out of her purse.

..The police investigation revealed that the dead man was a twice convicted felon who had previously been found guilty of eleven counts of sexual assault, including sodomy, child molestation and rape." (Armed & Female, Paxton Quigley pp. 2-4)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit