Studying JWs?

by bazackward 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bazackward
    bazackward

So I read this board quite often, but I don't post a lot since I'm not a JW or ex-JW. I recently had an idea that I thought could be a lot of fun, but I wanted to get some opinions on it.

I'm going to school for my MBA and in my Business Ethics & Social Responsibility class, I am required to do an "Out of Your Comfort Zone" project. I'll paste the rules for the project below. I was thinking it could be quite entertaining to experience the "love bomb" first-hand (trying not to laugh, of course) and kind of match what I've read on this site for the last year or so to some faces. I've only been to a KH twice in my life many years ago (both times were when my grandma was watching my brother and I while my non-JW parents were out of town). If I chose to go this route with my project, how would you all suggest I have fun with it?

Project Details:

Go to an event you that is out of your comfort zone. This could be a student group, an interest group at work, a church, etc. Do not put yourself in danger! Always be safe! The goal is to see what the world is like from another point of view. You are there to understand them. They are not there to understand you. Write up your experience in a 2 – 3 page paper (800 to 1200 words). What did you learn? How can the class material help you better understand your experience. How can you apply your learning to the workplace?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Go for it!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Get there early and ask the first mature looking individual (M of F) and tell them you read one of their books and you would love to have a bible study like was offered on the back cover (you don't need the book) . . . you'll get popular real quick. Love to be a fly on the wall

Oh and don't get dressed up . . . you want to be conspicuous . . . tidy jeans maybe

Luvonyall - MS

• bazackward
    bazackward

lol well I didn't plan on being as popular as the only girl at the frat party without a shirt. However, I have no intention of dressing up. They're getting jeans and a polo shirt and they're going to deal with it. Do they think jeans and a T-shirt is Satan's uniform?

Of course, if I do this project, I'll be sure to report back to you all.

• happyexjw
    happyexjw

Hi bazackward,

Jeans and polo shirt is definately the required garments to wear considering your assignment is to do with stepping out of the comfort zone, you may feel comfortable now but when in a KH you will definately feel out of your comfort zone ( the looks they will give you etc)

Also if you want to have fun, please look/ research at the material that is going to be studied that week, then put your hand up and answer a question in your own words from you own research thats not in the paragraph, maybe ask them a question. Unfortunately they probably wont pick you for an answer as your a newcomer an not yet indoctinated, again that will make you feel out of your comfort zone for not being acknowledged but your reasoning on it all make for a great A* essay. so many arguments for and against, more againsts just from one meeting.

Wish I could be there with you, have fun and all the best for your project, keep us updated.

Happyexjw

• wyorobert
    wyorobert

Wouldn't it be funny if you went as part of your assignment and ended up joining! I'm curious if you know of anyone in past years who did this assignment and joined some unusual religion as a result.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I did a project like this before. I went to a campus Gay/Straight Alliance meeting on campus. It was a great experience.

• bazackward
    bazackward

@happyexjw

Those are some great ideas! Maybe I'll read Blondie's WT post before I go. Who knows? Maybe some of her comments *will* be heard at the WT study. The only thing I'm concerned about with regard to going to a KH for my project is that I've read enough on this site that I doubt much of what I experience will be unexpected. Hopefully they'll surprise me, though!

@wyorobert

I'd say the chances of me becoming a JW is about the same as the Pope becoming a JW. I've seen how this religion has affected my family, I'm as non-religious as they come (IMO the Bible is a book written to fill in the gaps for people who can't stand not knowing the answer to everything in the universe), I think logically, I hate hypocritical authority figures that have no idea what they're talking about, and, above all, I've been reading this site for a couple years now.

My prof didn't say anything about anyone joining a religion, but he did explain why he put in the disclaimer about being safe. Apparently he once taught the course at the undergrad level and a girl went out at night to a homeless camp in a really bad part of Seattle. She made it back safely, but he decided to be proactive about the safety thing.

• wyorobert
    wyorobert

Thanks for the response, I look forward to hearing your comments. It sounds like a fun project and it was fun to hear about the reason for mentioning safety.

I try to put myself out of my comfort zone to see how I react. I haven't done that in a long time, I think this is a good reminder.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I wonder how they will react if you are up front with them that you are doing it for a school project. When I started my study, they asked me why I was doing it. I simply said I was interested in finding out what JW's believe. That was good enough for them at first, but as we did a few studies, they would subtly indicate that they were assuming I was interested in -becoming- a JW. All I said was that I was interested in learning -about- their beliefs. I never said I was interested in -becoming- a JW. My JW friend asked me the question, "why would someone learn about our beliefs if they were not interested in becoming a JW?" She could not seem to understand the idea of being interested in learning -about- something just out of curiosity. If they realize you are not interested in becoming a JW, which they might slowly find out by the way the questions at the bottom of the pages in the Bible Teach book are worded or by asking you questions like "what do you think of what you have read in this paragraph?" they might see you as a waste of time. My JW friend has used the word "unproductive" when referring to my study. She also told me that the JW studies are designed to be "progressive." By that, she means progressing toward becoming a JW. Are you planning to let them know you have no interest in becoming a JW, or will you just let them assume whatever they want?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit