Help me understand the burning of the Qur'an

by jam 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon
    Simon

The problem is not people being *muslim* as some try and twist it, but some people being *morons* and there are plenty of morons on both sides.

It would be nice to put all the morons on a rocket and send them and their ancient superstitious crazy mixed up beliefs off to someplace else ... sadly, that is probably low on the list of potential space projects though.

Terry Jones is an ugly douchebag with zero education and zero class. Until he threatened to burn the koran, he was unheard of, and it's quite obvious he is nothing but an attention whore. Nevertheless, his conduct was and is protected by the First Amendment to our Constitution.

Many have said, free speech notwithstanding, that Terry Jones should not have burned the koran as the consequences were predictable and lives were lost. This is America, folks. The day we allow some muslim fanatics to chill our exercise of free speech is the same day we all admit that we are nothing but a bunch of cowards, devoid of testosterone.

The proper response is to condemn the bloodshed and those responsible for it. Some would argue that Terry Jones is responsible for the bloodshed, and at least on a moral basis, that argument has some weight. Notwithstanding that viewpoint, Terry Jones violated no laws. He simply exercised his right to free speech, which muslim radicals would like to chill.

The exercise by U.S. citizens of our civil rights and enjoyment of our civil liberties should not be subject to the whims of radicals in robes in our country, or anywhere else in the world. The blame for the bloodshed lies solely with the radical muslim fanatics who engaged in this senseless killing.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, Terry Jones is an absolute douchebag. He and his son admit that they are uneducated; yet they preach the word of "god" to those who are dumb enough to sit there and listen to these morons. Our country would be a whole lot better off if we could rid it of the religious fanatics who cause so much harm, both here and in other places. Organized religion in this country is nothing but a societal cancer.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Well of course nothing is going to happen to the man on a legal or official level. That's a given. This is free speech.

But as many have said on the other thread on this subject, with that right of free speech comes at least implied responsibility. He knew exactly what he was doing, General Petraus had asked him previously not to. He chose to behave like a spoiled child and say "but I can! It's my right!". And all for what purpose? He should be chastised completely by any American with any sense exercising their free speech.

• satinka
    satinka

Muslims believe in honor. If anyone disagrees with them, they seem to think they must preserve their honor at all costs. Usually, it ends in death of one side or the other. They take the view that if someone burns their holy book, it is a personal attack on them and they must preserve their Muslim honor.

The Baptist Minister thinks he is right to burn the Koran, after all “The Muslims are the Apostates and will burn in hell!” Conversely, the Muslims think they have the only right view, “The Christians are the Infidels and deserve to die!” With each religious group convinced they have the exclusive channel to “Truth” there can be no cultural growth.

Muslims and Baptists are not the only religions on the planet who have this mentality. As an ex-member, I know Jehovah’s Witnesses think similarly, too. Their philosophy is, “Anyone who is not a Jehovah’s Witness is going to die at Armageddon!” That’s why they go door-knocking — to gain converts and “save souls.” My childhood friend Vicky was Catholic and she declared openly, “You are going to burn in hell if you don’t go to my church!” Different words, same mentality.

I believe religions enable a “Dark-Ages” type of thinking and behavior.

satinka

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I believe religions enable a “Dark-Ages” type of thinking and behavior.

satinka

Without a doubt. All of them.

• dgp
    dgp

In his "Why I am not a Muslim", a book that I pretty much liked, Ibn Warraq says that the Koran is so sacred to the Muslims that, if you have it in the same room with other books, all other books are closed. Muslims revere the Koran to a degree that Christians wouldn't think of revering the Bible (at least not most Christians). And this despite the fact that there is not "one" Koran; that is to say, there isn't even one version that is considered exclusively true. In their mind, they have to react if infidels burn their sacred book.

In my opinion, killing someone because they burned a book, however sacred it can be deemed to be, is simply murder disguised as religious fervor. I think we should also ask them why it is that Guy A burns the sacred book, but Guys X, Y and Z, who have nothing at all to do with the matter, get killed.

In my opinion, what we should do is actually expect them not to kill anyone over a book. Or over a movie, like they did with Theo van Gogh. Some people feel that you have to "respect" those religious beliefs, or "respect" the culture, even if the culture kills.

• still thinking
    still thinking

burn book...+....murder...+....retaliate....= Right?

I don't think so.

No wonder this world is such a mess.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Definitely does not equal right, but does equal predictable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit