State your "epiphany moment " for leaving the WT

by caliber 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've had my doubts since I was young but my moment of 'oh shit I have to stop believing this shit' - don't mind my profanity is during the elder school and the new procedure on handling pregnant and sick people. There is a document that you can view over (but not have or copy) that basically says: you cannot allow your baby to have blood even if it kills them. This is a sacrifice for Jehovah that you will have to make. They made it clear in those words as well.

• LV101
    LV101

the last comment someone made that "Jehovah reads the heart," it rang so loud and clear and why in the world was i making myself crazy and miserable trying to belong to this religion -- that moment i became the happiest person. i never went back, and within the year the great website, H20, was online, and genius posters like farkel, randy, A. F., and many others --- i was convinced beyond comprehension. the internet is truly a gift from God.

i had been searching online for a couple of yrs. and could only find a chat room and it was nothing like H20 or this incredible site that simon provides --- what a gift to the world!

• caliber
    caliber

Well thanks to each and everyone of you , this is exactly the type of experiences I was looking for !!!

I truly believe that each person's story helps all of us draw deeper and firm conclusions about "the truth " (TM )...

It puts a very human and personal touch on things... our true inward feelings of integrity and self-worth.

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

I was conducting a study with a truly wonderful young man called Tim. Tim was the son of a baptised witness and had left home. I'll tell you a bit about him. My own eldest son was by now about 14. Most of the other youths in the congregation were a few years older and he found it a real struggle to be included. He was also struggling with bullying at school for his status as a witness and felt very lonely at times. Tim would have none of that. Even though he was a couple of years older, he made a point of making sure my son was always included. They spent a good amount of time together, skateboarding, surfing, listening to and playing music together.

This kid was a wonderful guitar player . . . in fact he was extremely talented at many things, but had an incredible modesty to go with it. In his last year at school he was asked at short notice to stand in for the lead role in a musical the school was producing. The original boy had broken his leg. Although Tim was not even taking drama or music at school, he cheerfully agreed and went to work. He absolutely stole the show! His incredible talent shone through (he had a lovely voice) and many local media reviews richly praised his performance. Tim's reaction was genuine embarrassment. I recall him saying . . . "everyone else worked so much harder than me . . . they deserve the praise".

Well anyway, he along with a number of others his age, had applied for baptism. They had all been approved (including his two flatmates) although Tim was contacted the night before the assembly and told his approval had been withdrawn!! I couldn't believe it! . . . none of the other Elders had so much as said a word to me (his study conductor) about the matter. tim was totally devastated. He had taken a shine to another teenage girl in the congregation who was already baptised . . . in fact he was head over heels in love. I had spoken about this with him and given him the appropriate cautions. Most in the congregation got wind however (suprise suprise) and he was given a hard time by some. I knew he was struggling but never suspected how hurt he had become. One Monday morning he went out to his garage and hung himself. He had carefully measured the rope to just above the floor and had curled himself into a ball and slid off the roof of his "project car" that he so loved, thus dying instantly.

The loss we felt (especially my son) was profound. I have to be honest, my tears are flowing freely now. He was such a fine young man . . . with a heart of pure gold . . . such a waste. I was notified soon after he was discovered by his flatmate later that afternoon and immediately went round. The police were there as were a couple of Elders. As I walked up the path, the PO approached me and immediately said . . . "This has nothing to do with the Elders you know" . . . I was speechless for a moment while I tried to absorb what he had just said . . . after a few uncomfortable seconds had passed I felt an irrepressible flare of anger and replied simply . . . "What are you doing here then? . . . he's not a witness". He left the scene soon after, but the comment I made was to have future consequences for me. Incidentally, I later learned that our PO (a spiteful individual along with his wife), and our then CO, had a long time grudge against Tim's father (a solicitor) over some doctrinal argument.

My exit wasn't immediate (believe it or not) but the nightmare had begun.

Luvonyall - MS

• lesterd
    lesterd

Well, all of those experienceses are a progession of learning what the truth really is, its too bad that some have to endure so many before it hits them. I was raised a JW, my mother dedicated my live to the borg when I was 18 months old, and beat me into godly submission, I married a pioneer, the best thing that happened to me. Was refused medical twice because I wouldnt take blood, sent home to die,,,you still with me? Got 3 a year sentence for the draft, was taunted as a coward by the elders for not pioneering to avoid the draft, forgot to mention the beatings and stabbing as a child in school. My epiphany was insanity when my mother died. Surviving all that I still continued a faithful servant for fear that the woman I loved would leave me if I didnt maintain my faithfullness. I was wrong...my eyes were truly openned when I realized how afraid those elders were of me and the knowledge I had, mostly learned from my grandfather, anointed, things never written in the WT because it would have caused a falling out in the organization.

So here I am, with so great a crowd of winners, thanks

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

My "Wait on Jehovah" mental file got too big and too heavy.

I physically left with the intention of going back when I had "gotten myself together"......whatever that meant.

In the meantime, I found answers to the things that were bothering me for so long. And the answers were not with the Watchtower Society.

Now, I'm physically AND mentally out and it feels great!!

P.S.

I've missed you, Caliber. Say "hi" to Hope, too.

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Post 8 of 1052
    Since 3/11/2002
    I was working on my car in the factory, bld. 1 at Brooklyn Bethel New York on friday Oct. 31 1973, when all hell broke loose, the fire alarm in bld. 4 went off at about 9:30. The night watchman could find nothing. Monday we were all coming back from lunch, I was taking passengers up the east freight elevator when we saw fire trucks behind bld. 4. There to our surprize, they were taking the stiff dead body of James Olsen out of the bushs. Tom Combs {overseer of 4th job press} said "he MUST have done something REALLY bad to have killed himself!" Norm Brecky {overseer of the 5th floor ink room} said "I'm glad he jumped off the back of bld. 4, we don't need the publicity" --------DEAD and already judged! James Olsen had jumped to his death. The Thursday before Oct. 30th I saw him on my elevator, fighting back the tears, "whats wrong?" I asked. He said "he just couldn't take in any more and left bethel a week ago, he was A.W.O.L and went home---------and told his parents. They said "You are a reproach to us the family, and the organization---- and you wiil be going back!" They called Max Larsen (the factory overseer) and begged for another chance for their son. -----------Well after 2 hours in Max's office telling him what a disapointment he was to his family, he left, the loneliest person on the planet. With another chance? "well you only got 3 years 6 months left".-------- I got problems of my own, I thought.------"You will know them ----by their love"-----------I Keith Casarona along with everyone at bethel-- KILLED James Olsen---with my/our APATHY-----I can still see his face as he walked out of my elevator.
  • VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

To put it short and sweet: It was when I realized that the "friends" weren't really friends at all. After a time, I just couldn't stand to be around other JWs anymore...

V665V665

• Was New Boy
  • Was New Boy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit