Making a fetish out of bible inerrancy

by Terry 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Terry,

I really enjoy your posts, thanks! Have another!

But when you write By OVER stating the authority of scripture christianity has shattered like a brick through a plate glass window

Doesn't that leave out the Christians who do not believe the Bible to be inerrant? Or have I misunderstood?

Retro

• tec
    tec

But, Tam...that exactly how Protestants and Catholics have interpreted scripture for thousands of years!! It pops into their head, it looks like it could be true and so IT BECOMES so!

But you will not catch me ever doing it or asking anyone to follow me. Just the opposite. Because who am I? No one. I make mistakes. I know nothing more than anyone else. I get uncomfortable just thinking about what you said. *shudders*

There is only One who we should follow. Only One who KNOWS. That One is Christ. Follow Him. I am happy to share my thoughts about Him, but if a person wants to know the truth about Him, then they should go to HIM.

Tammy

• Terry
    Terry

There is only One who we should follow. Only One who KNOWS. That One is Christ. Follow Him. I am happy to share my thoughts about Him, but if a person wants to know the truth about Him, then they should go to HIM.

Tammy

Follow Christ means one thing to you, a different thing to another person and yet a still different thing to the next person. Chaos. Confusion.

Where is the unity in disagreement?

Look at the results in this world to separate interpretations by honest, pious people. Loggerheads. Clashes. Apologetic confrontations.

In the days of the Apostle Paul it was no different. Paul preached one thing, the apostles in Jerusalem taught a different thing, the superfine apostles and Judaizers taught a different message...etc.

Christianity has been a Rohrshach test for psychological manifestations of divine channeling!

All this demonstrates to me is delusional thinking. Can you blame me?

If we FOLLOW CHRIST....how do we know which direction to go? Especially if we are all bumping into each other.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's a good thing for me that the Bible and all of Christianity has been proven false.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Great thread, Terry. I have had similar thoughts rolling around in my head for awhile now but hadn't been able to express them like you have. Well done.

• Shrek
    Shrek

Follow the Christ - Wasn't that the theme of a recent JW convention or assembly?

• Terry
    Terry

To better focus on the Topic:

What does it mean to make a fetish out of bible inerrancy? It means to make TOO GREAT A CLAIM for what the bible contains.

By OVER-SELLING the divine guidance and the impossibility of error---many people are driven away in disgust.

It is obvious the bible is not divine and obvious it is filled with errors.

Basing a strict, authoritarian, controlling religion on FALSE CLAIMS leads to damaging honest people's ability to EVER TRUST again!

Those of us who were JW's were poisoned by the burden of OVER SELLING our absolute certainty and then experience the trauma

of discovery: the only absolute was being ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

• moshe
    moshe

Jesus started out trying to tell the Jews something similar about their religious structure and beliefs and along the way the message got sidetracked into a new religion with new authority figures.

• Terry
    Terry

Yes, MOSHE...like a TV sitcom with a spinoff!

Jesus was to Judaism what Joanie loves ChaChi was to Happy Days!

• Terry
    Terry

I'm bumping my own thread because a whole "nuther" generation of lurkers is now on JW-Net.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit