A little creative wordplay - Whose Spirit Do You Have?

by saltyoldlady 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heh!! Well, at least we're approaching this with a "can do" attitude!!

Zid

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Okay I can now make a repeat line of letters cccccccccccccccccccccccccccc just by holding it down but that will not work for the emoticons.

Okay I can now make a repeat line of letters cccccccccccccccccccccccccccc just by holding it down but that will not work for the emoticons. And I just now figured out how to pick up a line and transfer it. I'll bug my daughter some more to sit at my shoulder and give me hands on training - she is coming over this weekend to get a birthday gift from me. Thank you Ziddinnia - I'll play some more with what you have so patiently explained for me.

And I've now figured out how to repeat the emoticon with the control enter key one at a time but that is not as easy as just holding the letter down and having it repeat but it will do for the moment.

• ziddina
    ziddina

THERE you are!!!

I was worried!!! [sheeeesh... Let me clean this post up... ]

Here's another way to copy stuff... If you have time... I was worried because I didn't hear from you for a while, but if you have the time....

Let's make a small row of something that you might want to post...

I might want to post a couple of flowers, a heart, and a kiss...

I get the single icons first...

Now let's say that I want more 'happy' flowers in my final product... I use my "mouse" and put the cursor between the first and second flower. Then I click on the "happy" face, and select another "happy" flower... Hrumph! I see that I have to use the "arrow" keys to get the cursor there - as mentioned below...

there! Now I have two "happy" flowers! I can use the same technique to insert more, if I want to...

NOW - if I like that grouping, I 'click' just in front of the line - I don't want to get a "four-way arrow" sign or a bunch of tiny squares, 'cause that will mean I'm only going to get ONE of the icons.

By the way, if you have trouble getting rid of the little 'squares', you can use the keyboard's "arrow" keys - usually located next to the right-hand "enter", "shift", and "Control" buttons... (I use those arrow keys a LOT, by the way... Makes it easier to fine-tune a "copy" or other things...)

So, after I've used my "mouse" and positioned my 'cursor' - that's the vertical line that you see as you type, by the way - in front of the line, I HOLD DOWN THE LEFT-HAND BUTTON on the "mouse" and move it slowly and carefully over the line of icons. This means that I've "hi-lited" that line of icons.

NOW I can push the "Control" button AND the letter "C" button at the same time, which COPIES what I've "hi-lited" with my "mouse".

I move to a new line... Or where-ever I want to put those icons... And push "Control" again, but THIS time with the letter "V" - that means "insert"...

Now the cursor is at the right of the group of icons... So I can simply push "Control" and "V" again, and get TWO groupings...

NOW - if you end up with a space between the groupings... I use the "arrow" keys to position the cursor get rid of that extra space - use "delete" on the space you don't want...

There. Now the space is gone... So, now that I have another "grouping", and one that I like, I "copy" this new grouping again. Click just to the left of the grouping, arrow-key to the right until I've hi-lited through to the last icon - and please feel free to play with those arrow keys - get used to what they can do - and then I use the "mouse" again to "hi-lite" the wanted area... Press "Control" and "C" again...

Then "Control" and "V"...

IF it skips down to the next line, that means that I've accidentally "copied" a command that cues the computer to put a new line in.... I go back to the line of icons, use the "arrow" keys, and backspace just that one space, which removes that unwanted command...

There! Now I should be able to hit "Control" and "V" several times, and have a whole row of the icons!!

Nope... Still have that blasted "command" in there... I know!! I'll put my cursor at the end of the first line of icons, hit "delete" until the first line is next to the second one, then insert a couple of spaces at the end!! (I colored the spaces so you can see them...)

There. Now you can see the spaces... So I copy the line of icons, BUT DON'T COPY THE LAST SPACES!!! That should leave that pesky "command" behind!! Let me try that...

Now, again, "Control" "V", "Control" "V","Control" "V"...

There we go!! Hope that helps!!!

Zid - the She-Devil...

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Thank you Ziddina - I had it all done to show you and then hit the c and everything disappeared. But I will work on this more diligently tomorrow. My bedtime for now. I do have the process of getting it highlighted down pat. And I understand about the squares thing because I played with that last time. The picking it up and moving it is my hangup at the moment. See you in the mornin bright and early when the thinking cap works better.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Zid,

One of the first things anyone on the computer should learn is copy and paste. If you forget the shortcuts info is up at the top of your screen under edit. Just remember to have the item highlighted when you go up there. Life became so much easier once I learned it!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Bsmart!

Hey, maybe you can help Salty Old Lady; I was trying to show her how to copy and paste, but I think my explanation became too involved and wordy... I was having trouble telling her how to create a line of icons and copy it WITHOUT getting the blasted "next line" command in there - or extra spaces!!!

Thanks!!

Zid

• clarity
    clarity

Zid ...hope I catch you before you sign off. OK, when someone reads a thread and likes it, they 'mark' it. What is that and how do you mark it?

thanks

clarity

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, crud...

I don't know...

I wasn't aware that that feature existed, on this board...

Hey, would you let ME know how to do that, when you find out??? [Of course, now I'm going to start randomly punching buttons to see if I can figure it out... ]

[I feel guilty for dragging Salty's thread off-topic; maybe I should have started a thread for her under the "Technical" heading??? ]

• ziddina
    ziddina

I see that in the upper right-hand corner, I can "bookmark" this thread... And I see something about being able to mark an "icon" ABOVE the gray toolbar area - lemme mark one of those, and see what happens...

(Anyone remember "Dexter's Laboratory"?? His sister, Dee Dee - the one who ran around randomly punching buttons - that's me!! )

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!!! There it is!!! In the gray area above my latest post!!!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I've discovered something ELSE to play with on-board!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Zid

[Lemme do that again!!!]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit