Moving 1000 miles in 28 days need suggestions

by TotallyADD 24 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Thank you so much for your advice Salty. We have made this trip serveral times with our 2 dogs but never with our cats. They are all indoor cats. My wife was a vet tech and has had cats and dogs all her life. She has already given me the drill. We are going to try to do it in one day. In our car we can do it in 17 hours. But a truck pulling a trailer and our car following it pulling a small trailer it might take a little longer. We will be doing many breaks. Two cats will be in a medium cage and the other 2 in their own carrier. Also a good part of it will be at night. Hopefully that will calm them down. When we get to our house up north we have 2 very large cages we will put them in for the first week. That will be down in the basement were it is cool. After that we will introduce them to the house. Our problem we have is we have our oldest son who has the truck and we can have him only a few days for he has to get back to work. I know it will be a ordeal but we are already 60% pack and I planned to have the 2 trailers pack and ready to go a week before we leave. So when my son drives up to our door all he will have to do is hitch the trailer up to truck.

I know this sounds like I am a control freak I really am not. I was in construction all my life and I always had to overseer the job and coordinate everything. So thats my specialty I am good at organizing. We are only going to have the cats and dogs in the car with us. We will not pack the car tight with anything so the animals will have plenty of air. When we arrive on April 29 our old cat will have couple of days to rest until her 22 brithday. My wife and I are in our late 50's we full will know it is going to be a strain on all of us. After we get there we will take some much needed rest before we go to work. Again Thank you for all your wonderful advice. Your wisdom is truly your beauty and your advice is very much appreciated. Totally ADD

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Many years ago when TotallyADD and I were MUCH younger we moved from TN to FL, about 600 miles, with 3 kids with chicken pox and ten cats in a VW van.

Reopened Mind

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

My last move was the best one ever...950 miles from Nashville, TN to Fort Myers, FL. When I packed, I got to sit in my recliner and tell a small army "oh, that's for the master bedroom." or "Oh, you'll need to extra bubble wrap that, it's an antique." Then, once it was packed and on the truck, I told the driver..."I'm heading out. I'll see you when you get to Florida." Then I drove 14 hours straight through to my new home.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Dear CoonDawg, When everbody goes right we seems to go left. We lived in FL most of our lives now we are moving north. I know we must be nuts but work it the draw for us. Working in the sun all my life has made me very heat sensitive. I know it gets hot up north but not like FL. Like I said we are kind of backward folks. Totally ADD

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Haha! I hear ya. I loved TN and would still live there had my wife not gotten a VERY lucrative job in Naples. I HATE HATE HATE the weather here. I figure I've got about 2 - maybe 3 more weeks that are tolerable for me - then it's 24/7 AC for this fat man in FL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit