Moving 1000 miles in 28 days need suggestions

by TotallyADD 24 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

As many know my wife and I will be moving and starting a new business this summer. In many ways it will bring freedom to us for no one knows us where we are moving. Being a born-in I would like to ask all of you what are some great ways we can meet new people and make friendships outside the JW cult? Any suggestions on your part would be appreciated. Thanks for your help it means alot to me. Totally ADD

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

oh... i thought you wanted to know how many to move per day...about 35 miles per day should get you 1000 miles away in 28 days.

sorry, couldn't help myself, hope ya see the funny side...

seriously,

Change your names. I went from perth to brisbane only to find people who had heard of me! (like, LA to NY)

Join groups, go dancing, get in with a service organization, find a sport you like...you will find real friends, the ideas are endless.

good luck with the 'new life'

oz

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I did the same thing. It really is a breath of fresh air, not being "known".

Just be natural, as far as making friends is concerned. Personnally, our closest friends were met though our son, through his sports club friends etc. At get togethers, we met up with some their parents, and found that we got on well. Then it was outings together, bbq's etc. etc.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

We moved 1500 miles away last october, it was alot of work but absolutely worth it.

Nobody knows us here and we haven't met very many people being naturally a bit reclusive. It's great here by the ocean alot of new things to see and do. We were living on auto pilot before now everything is different and different is good. My husband had lived in our old city since he was ten yrs old and had never lived out of state so its been a big adventure for him and I didn't grow up in that state but had been there for 35 yrs.

I recommend living the wtbs and than further cleansing by bolting off to a new location it gives you that high feeling of "I'm starting a new life"

• moshe
    moshe
    about 35 miles per day should get you 1000 miles away in 28 days.

Sounds like a Amish style horse and wagon style move to me.

• clarity
    clarity

When you do meet new people don't complain & don't explain!

Never mention jw's ... if it comes up ... just smile

very good luck ... btw I love donuts.

clarity

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Seriously, find clubs that represent hobbies that you are interested in. I joined a car club and met one of my best friends there at the race track. Definitely helped me!

• fortis et liber
    fortis et liber

Get settled in your new place then, begin exploring your area; mine for it's rich culture and natural wonders -- just get involved in living (free!) and soon enough, you will befriend like-minded individuals doing the same things you are. I agree with Clarity, I wouldn't lead with 'we just left the Borg' .... it's a lot to handle when your just meeting someone. All the very best to you and yours on your new journey !!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here's what we did when we moved into smallish city 8 years ago. We moved into a single family neighborhood and as soon as we were unpacked we printed up flyers that said "Meet the New Neighbors and join us for refreshments at our Open House this Saturday from 3 to 5! (phone number)". Then we went up and down the block and stuck them in every door. Forty people showed up and we were up and running with dinner invitations etc. By the end of the year we had a number of social engagements and could easily invite 8 to 10 people over for a cook out etc.

We also went out of our way to meet many of the shop owners and toured the art galleries. There was a new person's club that we didn't find out about until later but other new arrivals told us it was excellent. Wine tastings, one day trips etc.

The other thing we did was volunteer. My wife taught water aerobics at our local pool and I was asked to serve on a historic preservation board and we both developed many excellent relationships.

The key is to do what you knew how to do...as witnesses, only now the world is your new congregation. You can take an interest in people, you can demonstrate kindness and decency and more then likely you'll evolve acquaintances into friendships. Good luck.

Gio

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Perhaps your new business will be a great opportunity to meet new people? How about the local Chamber of Commerce or joining other clubs/groups related to your new business. You'll get a win-win as you make new business contacts and meet new people!

Look around for local classes, perhaps art or dancing, that you can do a night a week. Community colleges and/or a ballroom dance studio?

Get out and have fun!

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit