Do you use a Nook or Kindle?

by sabastious 20 Replies latest jw friends

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

I have whatever the newest Kindle is. The eink screens they use on the Kindle and the black and white Nook is much easier on the eyes than the LCD used on the Nook Color and iPad. I work on a computer all night at work and take multiple online classes. I don't like reading lots of text on LCD screens, it tires and dries out my eyes. With the eink you can read them in direct sunlight, but you also need an external light to read them in the dark since they are not backlit.

As a reading device it works great. Books can be quickly downloaded via WiFi or transferred from the computer. With wireless off my battery usually lasts a month before needing a charge. You can start reading on the Kindle and pick up where you left on on a computer or smartphone. If you're trying to pick between the two I would just look at the books available in both stores to see if one store is missing any authors you enjoy.

You can find lots of free books online. Each vendor's online store has free books, including many classics since they are in the public domain. Be sure to read reviews as there can be multiple versions of free books with varying levels of quality of formatting. Project Gutenberg also has a ton of free books.

I think the Kindle is great and am glad I have mine. Where I used to take a laptop for short trips, now I take the Kindle and my iPhone. I do all my reading on my Kindle and everything else on the phone.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have some hands on experience with a Kindle. It is okay. Pros would be battery life, 3GB storage built in and connectivity. E-ink is okay with the understanding you will need a back light like with a paper book. It does have an annoying black flash with each page turn. Cons would be that all the books go into a massive list as it does not recognize folder structure that you might have your books sorted in. You must manually create a group called a "collection" and then manually add each title you want in that collection. With over 3000 books, that is too much work for me. It is limited in ebook formats to Kindle, PDF, TXT and MOBI. If you have a PC, then the free Calibre software is great for massaging other formats into something it could use.

I have a reader called a Jetbook Lite. It was $80. Pros are that it has LCD that looks better than e-ink but without the annoying flash. It also uses regular AA batterries. No sending it back to the factory when it needs a new battery. It has several navigation buttons on it, including a sliding page turner, and not the annoyingly located one the Kindle has for accidental page turns. It can read several different formats, PDF, PDB (Palm), EPUB, FB2, TXT, MOBI and others. Another pro is that it recognizes my book folder structure so I can navigate my collection by folder the way I have it organized. Cons would be that is has a small internal memory of 100 MB. My book collection pared down to favorites on a 2GB SD card was needed to get it going. Battery life is short compared to Kindle, but with AA you can have a fresh charge in under a minute.

I also have a no name Chinese Rokchip style reader. It has a 7" color screen, plays music, videos, and reads most major formats. Does PDFs reasonably well. The built in FM tuner picks up nothing. It has 4GB internal storage, and can take a 16GB mini SD, so plenty of room for books, music and a few movies. It is decent enough as a media player, sort of like a netbook without a keyboard. It needs no backlight in the dark since it is a lit LCD screen. Battery life is okay and it can be operated while charging.

For pure reading pleasure, I prefer the Jetbook.

• d
    d

I just got the nook for my B day today so I hope to enjoy it.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I know people who have Kindles and love them. I've thought of getting one.

The iPad is a kind of e-reader and I use it a lot, as at this moment. Although I have a few books on it, to be honest it isn't really like reading a book. I also find it more tiring on the eyes.

I just don't know what I think about them, and I'm glad you asked. I'll be reading all the answers with great interest!

• sd-7
    sd-7

I've got a Kindle Touch. I bought one of the first models that had an actual keyboard before, but the battery died and I never bothered to deal with that issue. The text is much sharper on the Touch anyway, but I've only got Wi-Fi, so I usually just use it at home to access the Kindle Store at most.

Takes some getting used to, the Touch, because there's a risk of bumping it and turning a page unintentionally, and trying to sort through stuff can be a pain in the absence of good menu options or actual buttons. The other thing, which I think the Kindle Paperwhite is supposed to be addressing, is the lack of page numbers--it's always "Postion 43856", or 15% through the book, but what page? You can sometimes see it in the table of contents but not while reading, and I find that useful and more encouraging for me to keep reading.... But in terms of reading itself, it's great. Once you're into the book, no real complaints. Good solid battery life, sharp text, so...not a bad choice for the low cost. I prefer to have buttons next time, if I can....but I'm hoping for a Kindle Fire someday just for the color of it and watching movies, I guess.

--sd-7

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife received a Kindle for free from the office. She loves it

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I have a Nook tablet and love it. Only problem is that the charge runs down after 5 hours usage.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My Kindle fire stopped charging, so they gave me the new Kindle Fire, HD. I loved my Kindle, but the Fire is way better. I wasn't able to post here with out doing a text insert (and it didn't work very well) , but now I can directly post. The screen is much easier to read. This was the first time I ever purchased a warranted, so glad I did.

• poppers
    poppers

I've been wanting to get a Kindle Fire to replace my keyboard Kindle, which still works very well. Wha happened?, which Kindle did your wife get?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I use my Kindle Fire quite a bit for email and FB and JWN and Amazon. I have the Kindle Touch book reader and haven't used it much- still like paper books. But I am getting there toward using it more. I just figured that Amazon would be around longer than Barnes and Noble (Nook).

I like being an amazon prime member (yearly fee), free two-day shipping on many things, free for some movies and shows. If the item is no more expensive at amazon, I buy it there for the free quick shipping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit