Jehovah's Witnesses: not even wrong?

by slimboyfat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Curtains
    Curtains
    But why should a future earth be our focus anyway? Why not instead address how we can make this world a better place for each other here and now? The problem lies not so much with the answer as with the question itself.

I think this is a key point slimboyfat and have to admit that it is linked to the JW mindset. We teach an extreme form of detachment from the world and this detachment leads to a completely different set of values regarding life and death that can be very harmful and at odds with reality.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I wasn't sure where you were going to go with that title, but excellent thread.

The problem lies not so much with the answer as with the question itself.

That is an important observation and one that constantly gets ex JWs in trouble with debating with JWs. The best answer will often be the one that does not answer the question, but show why the question is wrong. Regarding the Trinity, after I left that was the last Watchtower doctrine that I held on to. It was not until after I researched it that I realised the Trinity is as good an explanation of the Bible God as Arianism. The question is wrong because it assumes the Bible portrays a consistent nature of God. In reality, the views of the Bible writers changes dramatically over time and there is no one correct answer as to what the Bible says is the nature of God.
  • Ding
    Ding

As Socrates showed us, the person who controls the questions controls the discussion.

That's one reason why it's good to ask JWs questions instead of trying to teach them anything.

However, JWs are masters at changing the subject -- that is, answering questions they like better.

For example, ask them to show you where the Bible teaches that only the 144,000 need to be born again, and before you know it they'll be talking about Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit